Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans need three times as many guards.  (Read 1057 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Caravans need three times as many guards.
« on: August 17, 2008, 10:45:34 am »

I was getting 1-2 Kobold Ambushes with 10-20 Kobolds in them each year, and every so often I'd loose another GCS sock from the surface. I've finally gotten sick of the kobold raids, so I turned off invaders for a little while until I could clean up the outside.

I have spent a year and a half with 20 dwarves doing nothing except hauling and STILL I'm not through with all the crap from dead caravans.

I don't know why they choose to come year after year, considering goblins ambush them every year, and only a small amount escape. The Dwarven nation still hasn't picked a new liaison since the last one died in the 2nd year of the fortress. The human representitive hasn't yet been killed, but it's only a matter of time...

A Year and a half of collecting junk from outside the fortress... You'd think with the level of losses that caravans take in their rounds here, they'd either stop coming or hire more guards. They could certainly use double the guards though, since a single ambush group typically matches the caravan guards, and there are usually three ambush groups at once. I would help them, but It's a no immigration fort, so my military is only marksdwarves, and I don't dare let any of them become champions, since I need them to work. So off with the invaders, a few years of cleaning up useless laggy junk, and then we'll let them invade again.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans need three times as many guards.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:29:00 am »

You could always build a tunnel from the map edge to your fort. Make it the only 3x3 road in and they'll always go to it

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:18:30 pm »

You could always build a tunnel from the map edge to your fort. Make it the only 3x3 road in and they'll always go to it

Sounds like the perfect place for the ambushers to travel through too....

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:39:05 pm »

Ah, but it's easy to build a line of traps across a tunnel.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 02:27:27 pm »

Traps?  BAH!

Elaborate Grate/Pump/Magma  death-tunnel.   Or "swimming pool"

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 02:42:04 pm »

Traps?  BAH!

How is that not a trap?  REAL dwarves use unarmed, untrained wrestlers to defend everything.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 03:43:34 pm »

I must be a real dwarf then, and I wasn't even trying to be!  ;D

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 03:45:44 pm »

Traps?  BAH!

How is that not a trap?  REAL dwarves use unarmed, untrained wrestlers to defend everything.

for have fun
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 04:04:08 pm »

Dwarves do like their fun!
Traps?  BAH!

Elaborate Grate/Pump/Magma  death-tunnel.   Or "swimming pool"

for have fun

Dwarves do like their fun!  :P
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »

Killing invaders isn't my problem, it's the arrogant elves who appear wherever they want and lay their wood crap all over the place. I'm working on a system to remove any other issues, and working on a Boatmurdered device to go in my fortress for "spring cleaning" Anything that is described by people here would ruin the aesthetics of the fortress, which is important not to ruin!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!