Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't find the underground pool  (Read 983 times)

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
Can't find the underground pool
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:43:44 am »

I was recently very excited to discover a location with a magma vent, sand, a river, AND an underground pool.  I was looking forward to establishing underground tree farms.

After searching proved fruitless, I quit my fortress, reloaded the world, and dedicated myself to locating that pesky pool.  After having excavated all of the levels, I'm beginning to think it isn't there, and its existence is a bug.

I've been seeing olms crawling over the surface in the approximate location the region map claimed the pool was, but I can't find the darn thing anywhere.  could there have been some kind of mistake?  If olms are on the surface, does that imply an error placing the pool?
I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find the underground pool
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:51:35 am »

I was recently very excited to discover a location with a magma vent, sand, a river, AND an underground pool.  I was looking forward to establishing underground tree farms.

After searching proved fruitless, I quit my fortress, reloaded the world, and dedicated myself to locating that pesky pool.  After having excavated all of the levels, I'm beginning to think it isn't there, and its existence is a bug.

I've been seeing olms crawling over the surface in the approximate location the region map claimed the pool was, but I can't find the darn thing anywhere.  could there have been some kind of mistake?  If olms are on the surface, does that imply an error placing the pool?

Normally cave pool vermin don't escape the place until you've breached it.  Sounds like an error.

Of course, if there is other water, that means that any underground area that gets muddied will grow tower caps, so you can still give it a shot.

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:01:22 am »

That's very vexing - I was extremely excited to finally find a location with both exposed magma and (so I thought) hidden water resources.

Are pools placed before, or after erosion?  Perhaps the former pool was destroyed during world gen...
I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:03:06 am »

Cave spiders started crawling into my barracks long before I discovered the underground pool

Walls don't stop them. Have fun sleeping Urist

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 05:56:28 pm »

That's very vexing - I was extremely excited to finally find a location with both exposed magma and (so I thought) hidden water resources.

Are pools placed before, or after erosion?  Perhaps the former pool was destroyed during world gen...

I'm sure it's there somewhere.  Have you tried revealing it with a utility?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:28:33 pm »

Ugh. I hate cave spiders.... wouldn't be so bad if my dwarves actually pathed through my tower cap farm, but that would of course kill off the trees =(