Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Robocop on the beat by 2084?  (Read 5086 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Robocop on the beat by 2084?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 07:02:53 pm »

Surprised nobody's linked to this thing from 2004.  Dig it.

I'd say the reason to keep police instead of just putting cameras everywhere (which is still sort of viable, except you're still relying on humans to watch them) is that a physical police presence does more than just have someone ready to respond.  It creates an air of observation in the area, and discourages people from committing crimes (at least public crimes), psychology being more powerful than any system or weapon.  Does lead to the unfortunate irony that cops are where there's no crime, and crime is where there's no cops.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 07:13:32 pm »

Surprised nobody's linked to this thing from 2004.  Dig it.

Thing about those Bunny-cops are, they wouldn't be using AKs, they'd be using Lasguns or Chainsaw rifles in 2084.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 08:22:08 pm »

Freaks me out.  I hope this never happens.
Shoes...

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 08:41:29 pm »

Did anyone post any linkes to Daleks on wikipedia, because while surfing I mysteriously found myself looking through this article. Not that I have a problem with it.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 08:57:34 pm »

You guys have it all wrong.  THIS is the face of our Robotic law enforcement. 

Peter Weller?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Please, this guy puts them all to shame.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 09:05:43 pm »

That's the most epic thing I've seen in a long time.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cymro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 05:35:07 am »

Quote from: Nilocy link=topic=23147.msg254217#msg254217
Nah. Don't worry its getting worse, Britains slowly becoming a police state, ID cards with EVERYTHING you are on them, and like 1 CCTV camera to ever 14 people.
I may not be the biggest fan of ID cards eiher, but since when was your name, address, a bland photo and your date of birth "everything"?

CCTV is great: it means that you don't need someone keeping an eye on somewhere all the time, and in the event of a crime, you have the exact detail of what happened - you can't just bribe a policeman to turn a blind eye now. Were it not for CCTV in our school, for example, it would have lost almost £3000-4000 from someone trying to steal computer equipment
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:36:45 am by Cymro »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 06:30:41 am »

Today your school halls, tomorrow the bathrooms, the next day your house, the next day your mind!!(Da da dummmmm!)
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 06:42:52 am »

Peter Weller?  Arnold Schwarzenegger?  Please, this guy puts them all to shame.

Oh my god..... ;D

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 11:46:48 am »

Did anyone post any linkes to Daleks on wikipedia, because while surfing I mysteriously found myself looking through this article. Not that I have a problem with it.

Wasn't me ...
<_<
>_>

One source examines the methodology of the "1 camera per 14 British" claim and argues there isn't enough information to make such a claim.

1: Nobody, not even the government of England, is actually counting the CCTV cameras in England.

2: The study examined two streets in London and averaged based on population for all of the UK. Problem is, you'd expect there to be more cameras in downtown London than a small town.

3: The two streets in question had wildly different amounts of cameras. It suggests that either one could be the norm, or neither, and so further study is absolutely required before publishing any findings. The sample is just too small.

4: The cameras were often inside businesses that really ought to have security systems, such as banks and corner stores. This isn't an invasion of privacy so much as a camera on the street is.

5: The paper upon which the quote is based was written in 2002. Six years later a lot has changed.

Overall I think the 1:14 ratio isn't supportable. I'll dig around to find something better. I heard on an episode of Bullshit a ratio of 1:5 but I can't remember if they were saying that was in all of the UK, just England, or just London.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 [2]