Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Robocop on the beat by 2084?  (Read 5085 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Robocop on the beat by 2084?
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:45:55 am »

http://news.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029672,49298541,00.htm

Robocop will become a reality within the next 75 years according to a top UK robotics expert.

Abusive drunks or knife-wielding thugs can expect to feel a metallic hand of the law on their shoulder in 2084, according to robotics expert professor Noel Sharkey of the University of Sheffield.

Sharkey said he expects robots with "human-like features and expressions" to patrol the streets of the UK to cut crime, detect weapons, carry out drink and drugs tests and free-up police officers' time.

Chips in the brains of these tin guardians would give them instant access to bank accounts, tax, motoring, shopping and criminal records, allowing them to instantly identify and determine who people were, according to Sharkey.

But he warned they would have to be constrained to prevent them from inadvertently using excessive force due to their "super strength" and "inability to feel pain".

His research also predicts that autonomous police cars will appear by 2070, able to recognise speeding cars, identify number plates and automatically deduct fines from bank accounts, at the same time as adding points on driving licences.

Sharkey said in a statement: "These robot developments could be extremely beneficial in the protection of citizens and police in the hands of benevolent governments."

The study was commissioned by Warner Home Video to mark the release of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

"But in the wrong hands, as warned in the movie, robot law enforcement could be a major blow to individual privacy and basic human rights," he added.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Robocop on the beat by 2084?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:43:12 am »

"But in the wrong hands, as warned in the movie, robot law enforcement could be a major blow to individual privacy and basic human rights," he added.

Hasn't regular law enforcement already become a major blow to individual privacy and basic human rights? Or is that just in the US?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:14:43 am »

Hasn't regular law enforcement already become a major blow to individual privacy and basic human rights? Or is that just in the US?

Nah. Don't worry its getting worse, Britains slowly becoming a police state, ID cards with EVERYTHING you are on them, and like 1 CCTV camera to ever 14 people.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:56:35 pm »

Chips in the brains of these tin guardians would give them instant access to bank accounts, tax, motoring, shopping and criminal records, allowing them to instantly identify and determine who people were, according to Sharkey.

But he warned they would have to be constrained to prevent them from inadvertently using excessive force due to their "super strength" and "inability to feel pain".

So it's a dwarf in tin plate?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 03:11:38 pm »

No, they obviously increased their size and added the [NOPAIN] tag.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 04:37:40 pm »

inadvertently using excessive force

Yeah, dwarves for sure.  Just like sparring.
Shoes...

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 08:40:29 pm »

The first thing that came to my mind was that these would be cyborgs, like in the movies.  When I read they were ordinary robots with human-like features, I thought of THX 1138.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:47:30 pm »

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 08:52:41 pm »

Have you ever seen those corny old black and white movies made in the 50's where they 'predicted' that by the year 2000 we'd have household robots doing all our chores, magical gizmos producing pill-food for us, et cetera?

Those are the reason I never take 'predictions' like these seriously. Science is fluid and unpredictable - the types of revelations it provides are not 'linear' by any means. There's no way of telling what kind of new innovations science will have brought us 80 years in the future.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 09:26:03 pm »

Or if we'll even exist in 80 years.
Shoes...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 09:30:03 pm »

Uh-oh

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:51 pm »

I have this book checked out from a library in something like 1960 - it predicted that by 2000, we would have a lunar base and moving sidewalks and disposable clothing.

Predicting anything in science more than 10 or 20 years away is just guessing. You never know what will happen.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

blakyoshi7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 03:45:39 am »

http://news.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029672,49298541,00.htm

Abusive drunks or knife-wielding thugs can expect to feel a metallic hand of the law on their shoulder in 2084, according to robotics expert professor Noel Sharkey of the University of Sheffield.

We are all going to die.
Life is but a twinkle, a winking of an eye...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 09:03:36 am »

Uh-oh

Wow, that brings back memories.  The first truly violent game I ever played.  I  still remember the fat guy in the first level whose head flies off and melts when you kill him.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 09:51:01 am »

There isn't really a reason to make the robot policeman a humanoid. You might as well make it a tin can too heavy to tip over. They'd have other human policemen around to take care of anyone who climbed a set of stairs.

But why not just install more cameras? If you can take the police off the traffic beat completely, you suddenly more than double your police resources.

And then of course we would have to make destroying a robot policeman a harsher crime than destroying a police car. Kind of like how police dogs work right now.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: [1] 2