Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Babies Surviving?  (Read 1795 times)

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Babies Surviving?
« on: August 16, 2008, 10:41:19 pm »

Now, I'm confused with how this game works sometimes, and just how much ethics have to do with playing.

The fact that a baby with a broken lower Body and Right hand, that falls unconscious every few seconds, is just about ignored by the other Dwarves, even her own Father. Why would they do that? That's just not right, dammit.

Anyway, has anyone else had this happen? And if so, did the Babies make it to adulthood?

jp.mech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Babies Surviving?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:21:27 pm »

They're not completely ignored. Had the mom and pop die in a mess of a siege. I hadn't known they even had a baby until I got job cancellation spam about someone being unreachable, to give them food/water.  Upon searching my halls, I found a baby in a dry, indoor moat, which was only accessible through a locked hatch. The baby had fallen down. The spam stopped as soon as the hatch was unlocked and I saw someone feed the baby.

I don't remember if the baby made it to childhood. I do remember a bronze colossus or some such nasty coming in and making a mess out of the rest of my tantruming, bridge destroying dwarfs. The only reason I hadn't lost was because the survivors were the wounded resting in their rooms.
I abandoned as soon as the baron came with the next wave of immigrant.

But this was before relationships were in, so I don't know if there's anything different with the way babies with no mom is handled.

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:32:19 pm »

So far the One I'm dealing with still has a father. The Mother had gone into a Mood, and had everything she needed except Silk Cloth. She almost went on an insane Rampage with the baby in her arms, but her Dogs took her down, injuring the kid, while said kid got locked in a cage.

One Lever Pull later, she gets some water and food, and proceeds to wander around the First Floor, with little to no help, as she passes out every few seconds. The Father, is simply standing at the well, doing nothing.

Because of this, I'm doing all I can to train this Girl into a Champion Mace Lord/Sword Master.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 12:05:31 am »

Man, you got off lucky. When a baby's mother failed a strange mood, she went berserk and the macelords killed her.. Then her husband threw himself into the local drinking pond, followed a month later by the wandering baby.

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:20:36 am »

Ouch, hope they weren't very important.

Anyway, I'm worried for the girl. She's not been brought to a Hospital Bed, and I worry for her wounds. Her Right Hand and Lower Body are broken, she's feeling Pain in her Left Upper Arm, and she's falling Unconscious.

Because of her determination to Live, I've given her a Tomb of her Own.

EDIT: Aaand she was killed by my own Weapon Trap. What the Hell.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:37:16 am by BlakeKoris »

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 01:17:51 am »

Don't sweat it too much, I had an orphaned baby continuously jumping into a dry moat, probably trying to commit suicide. I think mine was miserable though, anyway.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 01:22:43 am »

....and so the great dwarven circle of life continues.
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 01:38:40 am »

Ouch, hope they weren't very important.

Anyway, I'm worried for the girl. She's not been brought to a Hospital Bed, and I worry for her wounds. Her Right Hand and Lower Body are broken, she's feeling Pain in her Left Upper Arm, and she's falling Unconscious.

Because of her determination to Live, I've given her a Tomb of her Own.

At the moment, if a dwarf falls unconscious on a trap, it triggers the trap on them. So your baby fell asleep on one and died.

Much worse is when I had my 7 dwarves just finish setting up a beautiful set of obsidian short sword weapon traps.. and then 2 of them decide to go to sleep on the floor there because I hadn't made any beds and immediately got eviscerated.   >:(

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 01:41:38 am »

I've got a baby with....

a broken upper body, completely broken left and right arms, a mangled left upper leg, a pierced lung and a bruised spine.

One of the perils of having a large open pit in the middle of the stairwell.

edit: it grew up! Now it'll just have to rest for... the next 10 odd years :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:58:03 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 08:50:50 am »

When a baby's mother failed a strange mood, she went berserk and the macelords killed her.. Then her husband threw himself into the local drinking pond, followed a month later by the wandering baby.

Heh, heh. I didn't realize you couldn't improve the mood of insanely-miserable dwarves, so when one of mine went nuts (I didn't have any shells for her), I fixed up her bedroom really, really nice. She even wandered into the bedroom a few times, but she never slept - or ate or drank - so she died of dehydration.

But her husband was so enchanted by that wonderful bedroom, that he wasn't even unhappy after his wife died. Yeah, such a tragedy,... but just LOOK at this bachelor pad!

:)

Bill

BlakeKoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 10:31:26 am »

Yeah, after that one of mine had her Mom die, and she ended up in the cage, she was freed and given water, next thing I knew she was Estatic.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 05:02:58 pm »

Actually, I've had some pretty amazing survival stories before. I had one dwarf with all of his internal organs damaged survive (Unfortunately, his was disabled so, I had to hammerdwarf him),
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 03:55:54 am »

my fisherdwarf is walking talking and running about with a pierced lung... he even tore apart a goblin when i wasnt looking.

edit: he just fell unconsious on a cage trap... perhaps i should build the cage in his tomb (gave him one for being awsome.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:20:01 am by tp12 »
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 04:24:37 am »

Yeah, unfortunately the AI isn't exactly what you could call intelligent at the minute - Dwarves will happily watch their own families messily die in pain so long as they have a pretty bedroom to return to, they have no sense of context ('WE'RE ALL DOOMED, THE GOBLIN HORDE IS UPON US AND-- oh, pretty socks! I'll gather those...'), and they have no real 'memory' (at least I don't think they do, unless something subtle is being recorded behind the scenes. Very, very subtle...).

I would assume this will improve in time, as with everything else in the game, but given how much the game lags at the minute just calculating path-finding, I wonder...

EDIT - of course, you can have just as much fun anthropomorphising the AI. Is the AI stupid, or are all your Dwarves just supposed to be hateful, empathically-challenged misanthropes who don't care if their own infant children die in the street? It's all in the imagination...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:27:24 am by Naero »
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 05:37:25 am »

my caged dwarf just went beserk... TO THE ARENA!!! (hes still getting a tomb.)
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...
Pages: [1] 2