Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I think my Dwarves may be living in Fear.  (Read 2469 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think my Dwarves may be living in Fear.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 10:57:48 pm »

Except instead of killing each other they just lay around and poop and starve to death....if babies even eat.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 08:34:46 am »

I have yet to get a single siege, in fact not even an ambush. I usually end up playing on a different fortress before then.

Heh, heh. And I thought I got bored easily!  :)  With most games, I'm always starting over,... so I never get very far into them at all.

Not with Dwarf Fortress, though. Well, not as much, though I did just start a new fortress...

You propably killed their leader. They escape when he dies.

OK, this makes sense (like so much in this game, huh?). I feel better about the whole thing now.

Thanks for the explanation!

Bill

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 08:40:57 am »

Like I may have said, I'm fairly new to DF. As such, I have just now made a fortress that withstood more than a Year. I have a Population of 106, no Sieges as of yet.

The Wiki said that sieges can start once the Pop. hits 80, and I know there are Goblins around, since I've managed to capture a Thief in one of my traps.

I am constantly fearing that I may be unable to defend correctly. I'm just now getting Wagon Access, and don't have an Anvil. Tell me I'm just paranoid, and that I should be able to make it?

Ambushes are worse then early sieges, imo. I do think it won't be long before you will get ambushed though, and with a bit of bad luck (or just plain fun) it'll be two or three at once.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 01:48:26 pm »

With my second fortress I accidentally stuffed up the raws and removed [babysnatcher] from the goblins. Within the first year, I was seiged by an army of macegoblins larger than my netire group of dwearves. I had no traps because I was too slow getting a mechanic. My only military dwarf (the miner :D) was badly injured. I recruited all of my dwarves and set them to hold their ground at the entrance to my fortrewss. Seven injured dwarves later, I'd sent the gobbos running. Unfortunately there was no water on that map ( this was before ponds refilled) and the seven injured died, resulting in a tantrum spiral.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »

Well, I assume they'll be fine, I've got a few Catapults Guarding the Entrance, with a good stone supply right by them. If a Caravan comes under attack, so long as they make it past the Catapults, they'll be safe.

This is a bad idea as not only can a chance shot really mess up a caravan but the catapults are so inaccurate right now as to be all but useless (except as stone removal devices). Best bet is the double drawbridge idea plus some traps (a row 3-5 tiles long of stone traps will send most ambushers running and it can be easily built).

Hey, that's not true, Catapults are also sooooooo much better at training siege operators than Balistas

He wasn't talking about training. He is using them for actual defense. Oh and catapults are only better before you realize that a wall above a 1-z level drop into a channel (accessed by stairs) means you can train a legendary siege operator with a single ballista bolt. :P

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 03:00:28 pm »

I've worked out an alright way to keep your dwarves safe, dig channels outside your fortress with bridges going across, each bridge about 4x5, except make a 1 tile space all around between the bridge closest to your door and the other ones. Make pressure plates in all these tiles, and hook it up to the Bridges. When the goblins come to attack, they will step on the pressure plates and fall into the pit, where you can kill them whenever you want, or just leave them there

For added fun, make Fortifications + Marksdwarves

OR wooden spikes (for your metal shortage) in the chamber and attached to a lever

Pull Lever/R super fun :D
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Psiclops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 06:17:35 pm »

Once you get your fortress defensive strategy down, you will probably start to modify it so that you can kill the most of them possible before they get away. I construct my killing field courtyard in such a way as to keep them in once they arrive... heh.
Pages: 1 [2]