Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: So, about good games...  (Read 6902 times)

Speeeedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, about good games...
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2008, 03:18:04 pm »

Powder is a rougelike worth checking out: http://www.zincland.com/powder/
It runs on gameboys too!

Angellus

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2008, 04:57:49 pm »

Powder is a rougelike worth checking out: http://www.zincland.com/powder/
It runs on gameboys too!
Looks funny, going to ... 'borrow' my sisters DS for this '')

Anyone else who has some sort of list or something alike? ^^

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2008, 05:21:38 pm »

Basically, I like any games where you can creatively destroy anything present, rebuild it, then destroy again. Not taking the two latter parts into account, I think I'm going to love Red Faction:Guerilla.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Angellus

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2008, 04:37:10 pm »

Just wanted to tell you all I re-found a great game I loved and love again ^^

Stranded by Unreal Labs is a great island survival game, you should try it, some people already have mod's made for this game which make it even greater :)

Link:

http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/
Be sure to check out stranded II :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2008, 05:56:50 pm »

I have played Stranded 2 and it was very good at that "Why is my alarm going off In the middle of the night? It's set to go off right before work.  Oh wow I've been playing for a long time." effect.  Though if you only play free mode you'll start to get bored after a week or two unless you play mods.

Another decent time waster is Wurm Online.  It's a grindfest but you can do alot of stuff in it from mining out a rooms underground, to deforesting vast areas, to building massive highways, to building a village of like minded individual players.

It's "free" as in you aren't required to pay to play but you have to pay monthly for premium if you want yer stats to get above 20.  But it will take awhile to get the stats that high, and other than the higher stats the game isn't very different as a premium player than as a non premium, so the free time is good at letting you get a feel of the game to see if you want to pay ~15 USD(10 euros)for 2 months to break the stat cap.

The game is more about building and things than combat but there are monsters and a few people with high combat stats to evict them.  I am even mayor of a Village that was founded entirely by Dwarf Fortress players(only 2 df players left though) called Onoldeler.

P.S. The negatives:  The game isn't for everyone though.  As it is somewhat difficult to get into unless you read the wiki, and it is difficult to survive on your own.  The devs also decided that some things require stats above 20.  Though I think it was more to prevent random greifing than to screw over non premiums.  Mostly stuff like destroying fences and roads, attacking players, and things like that you can't do with stats below 20.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:01:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2008, 08:36:30 am »

Basically, I like any games where you can creatively destroy anything present, rebuild it, then destroy again. Not taking the two latter parts into account, I think I'm going to love Red Faction:Guerilla.

I'm playing Combat Mission : Shock Force (Marines) at the moment and liking it very much.  They've finally got the unit AI behaviour spot on, and the gameplay is remarkably similar to UFO (especially if played in turn-based wego mode):  heavily armed soldiers arrive at small city, explore carefully ('cause it's so so easy to get them killed if they run into an ambush) and absolutely level the place with extreme firepower when they're attacked.  It's very high-realism though, so probably not everyone's cup of tea.  People on the CMSF forum tend to lament the sheer destructiveness of the modern weapons.  :)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2008, 03:03:10 pm »

Is there any way to deconstruct buildings in stranded 2?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2008, 07:36:31 pm »

I have played Stranded 2 and it was very good at that "Why is my alarm going off In the middle of the night? It's set to go off right before work.  Oh wow I've been playing for a long time." effect.

"I started playing around lunchtime and emerged from my room sometime later to find that the authorities had declared me legally dead."

Angellus

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:28 pm »

@Greiger: I have tried Wurm Online, but it lagged horribly on my pc, it was as if java hated it and tried to destroy or mutilate every pixel before it reached my screen, I have a very reasonable computer, probably better as most people here.
Thus I trew that plan away, otherwise I'd have loved to work along on the DF town :)

@Glacies: Just keep on hitting the building, it will die eventually, if you want it gone easier make a torch and keep on hitting it untill on fire, it will break down eventually this way. (torch = branch + wool + fire IIRC)

@ Draco18s: Tell me about it ^^

I'd like to know what you guys find the best mod for stranded...
I personally prefer Massive Mod, but it is not done by far.

Angellus

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 02:30:47 am »

A few days ago I got a PM about stranded II having a Trojan horse, I have scanned the complete Stranded II folder on my pc with AVG, newest version and it notified me that there indeed is a trojan horse in it called PSW.Goldun.KE...

I do not know if any others of you gain the same notification with your virusscanner, but I would like to ask people with other virusscanners then AVG to test the map too, so that we can see whether it is AVG alone, or whatever.

Please participate in this research, I'd be grateful for it :)

Greetings,

Nicolas.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 05:53:31 am »

Eset Nod32 sez it's clean.
If you ask me then most virus scanners are way paranoid, especially AVG. The whole world seems to paranoid about these days. With a little brains you can live a completely virus-fee life without a anti-virus program and surf your brains out on the cyperwaters. I just don't buy the bullcrap that evey other file I come across is a virus. Bah...

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2008, 06:47:02 am »

If you ask me then most virus scanners are way paranoid, especially AVG.
Correct.

I have played Stranded 2 and it was very good at that "Why is my alarm going off In the middle of the night? It's set to go off right before work.  Oh wow I've been playing for a long time." effect.
Stranded 2 is awesome. I just finished it around a month ago, after having played slowly through it for the last 6. Just brilliant, can't wait for the third (If the guy makes it).

Angellus

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2008, 12:22:43 pm »

@Xehon: Thanks, a lot ^^
And I agree with the paranoia with virusses these days, but you can never be certain enough.

@EchoP: I dont think there will be a 3, at least not in the upcoming 5 or so years. He seems to be working on his CounterStrike 2D game, which in the last time took a awful lot of work too ^^
But once it comes out; he is making a site to support his Multiplayer variants of the games he makes XD

--------------------------

Question to everyone:
 Who knows what programming tool/language is relatively easy to learn and capable of generating multiplayer 3d enviroments?

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2008, 09:32:04 am »

Hmm, possibly worth a mention is Lego Rock Raiders. It is, basically, DF if it were made by Lego. Build up an underground base for a mining operation, deal with the hostile local wildlife, as well as the caves themselves (landslides, limited air, etc). Not quite as hard as DF but can be a challenge in the later levels. No real sandbox mode, but many of the levels consist of "mine out X energy crystals" any way you like.

Worth considering if you can get hold of it.

Angellus

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009, 08:28:00 am »

Rock raiders, loved and hated, very nice game, but I hate the fixed amount of crystals on the map (I tend to build as much as possible before ending the game :))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]