Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: So, about good games...  (Read 6913 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Re: So, about good games...
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2008, 08:53:40 am »

intresting fact about civ 4 (or maybe it was civ 3) trough the map editor you can generate a map almost 10 times the largest one you can choose, tried it with 3 of my frieds, we gave up after 6 hours becouse we hadn't seen each other. When looking at the map we realised it would probably take atleast 6 hours more to just see one of the other players for the first time.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

TobiasF

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2008, 09:18:55 am »

When I describe DF to my friends I compare it to:
- Settlers : You build up an Industry like DF and attack your neighbours, but you can't build walls and stuff. The older versions are Legendary for their hauling mangement.
- Dungeon Keeper : Underground Fortress with Traps. DF for softies.
- Stronghold (Old SSI) : Build an Outpost populated with D&D characters. Has Dwarfs but no underground.
- Stronghold (The newer one): Build a Medival-Castle. Economics are simpler than DF. Has great Sieges with ladders, sappers, towers...

Other :good Gamer's Games:
 Imperialism 1&2 -> Conquer the world with great economics.
 GalCiv 1&2 -> Great Diplomacy and Trade
 SMAC  -> The Gamer's CIV
 Port Royale -> If there was a Merchant-Mode for DF it might be like this.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2008, 09:43:32 am »

I don't know, I easily beat AI on Deity with a few civs. There are anti-AI strategies which can't work against human player.
If you don't give AI place to expand and use AIscrewing strategies (like with cheaterish Balseraphs) you win.
Of course I play on <= Standard maps on Deity.

Im not exploiting the AI. I normally expand, and let them expand also. Try that, and you will have a very hard time to win even. In fact if 2 AI will declare war on you, you can hit the restart button asap.  ;)
Also have you been using the FfH2 mod + BtS 3.17? The AI is much better in BtS than it was in vanilla Civ4. I doubt that you can exploit the AI in that. When I first had contact with an AI in my latest game, it had 5 towns already and much bigger military compared to mine...and I was scouting quite fast. [I play on huge maps with 9-10 AIs]. Actually in FfH 2. mod you cannot scout that fast, since the max scout range is 2 / turn afaik, at least for the orcs.

For sure BTS. And you can EASILY exploit AI in many ways. It doesn't know how to use spell combinations, it doesn't know how to deny loki etc.
What do you call "exploit" I call "use of features". Well, if you try to overwhelm it with brute force then you're out of luck: AI already starts with 2 settlers and big army and he has like 200% research and production speeds.
But why should I skip avaliable game features? At least that's what is different between AI and human. Ai uses algorythms and pre-defined strategy, humans play on situation. I was nicely tricked in MP many times :).

Also if I play as Balseraph, AIs have no new cities :). I know this race is vile XD.

P.S. Oops sorry, Huge maps are not for Deity, I missed that.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:45:55 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 02:28:14 pm »

Hi!

Weird, it seems no one mentioned a relatively obvious choice:

SimCity 4

Okay, DF still has a lot more depth, but I think Maxis were heading in the right direction.

Too bad SimCity Societies didn't have the SimCity gameplay - adding the new elements from SimCity Societies to SimCity 4 would have created a game that got pretty close to DF (not quite there, but close), but it was not to be, sigh.

Mentioning Nethack or any other roguelike is somewhat overly obvious. After all, DF itself is a roguelike ... (^_^;;

If we are talking about roguelikes, an obvious choice would be Angband, especially some of the variants (I have not played much Zangband, but some of the Cthulhu flavored variants were quite nice).

Deathworks

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 11:31:43 am »

I don't know, I easily beat AI on Deity with a few civs. There are anti-AI strategies which can't work against human player.
If you don't give AI place to expand and use AIscrewing strategies (like with cheaterish Balseraphs) you win.
Of course I play on <= Standard maps on Deity.

Im not exploiting the AI. I normally expand, and let them expand also. Try that, and you will have a very hard time to win even. In fact if 2 AI will declare war on you, you can hit the restart button asap.  ;)
Also have you been using the FfH2 mod + BtS 3.17? The AI is much better in BtS than it was in vanilla Civ4. I doubt that you can exploit the AI in that. When I first had contact with an AI in my latest game, it had 5 towns already and much bigger military compared to mine...and I was scouting quite fast. [I play on huge maps with 9-10 AIs]. Actually in FfH 2. mod you cannot scout that fast, since the max scout range is 2 / turn afaik, at least for the orcs.

For sure BTS. And you can EASILY exploit AI in many ways. It doesn't know how to use spell combinations, it doesn't know how to deny loki etc.
What do you call "exploit" I call "use of features". Well, if you try to overwhelm it with brute force then you're out of luck: AI already starts with 2 settlers and big army and he has like 200% research and production speeds.
But why should I skip avaliable game features? At least that's what is different between AI and human. Ai uses algorythms and pre-defined strategy, humans play on situation. I was nicely tricked in MP many times :).

Also if I play as Balseraph, AIs have no new cities :). I know this race is vile XD.

P.S. Oops sorry, Huge maps are not for Deity, I missed that.

Oh hm....yes well on huge maps I suppose you cannot prevent the AI to build up. Also I only play with the Clan of Embers factions, and with those you cannot launch blitz attacks for sure... I dont know the Balseraphs to be honest... ;D
So usually even when my scouts are spotting the first AI scouts, they already have at least 3+ cities and quite nice military.

Snap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2008, 09:38:56 pm »

Some of my favorite games that I have not seen mentioned:
Warzone 2100
Don't know why this is my favorite RTS. maybe because of the base building and designing your own units

Warlords: Battlecry III
Another great RTS. You're hero gains levels the more games you play using him. very customizable. fun.

TOME
IMO The best rogue-like game. Set in Middle Earth. Make sure you get version 2.x not 3.x as 3.x is not complete yet and riddled with bugs

Startopia
Manage a space station populated with various alien species. fun game.

Honorable Mentions:
Transport Tycoon Deluxe
X3 - Reunion

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2008, 07:30:24 am »

Some of my favorite games that I have not seen mentioned:
Warzone 2100
Don't know why this is my favorite RTS. maybe because of the base building and designing your own units

Warlords: Battlecry III
Another great RTS. You're hero gains levels the more games you play using him. very customizable. fun.

TOME
IMO The best rogue-like game. Set in Middle Earth. Make sure you get version 2.x not 3.x as 3.x is not complete yet and riddled with bugs

Startopia
Manage a space station populated with various alien species. fun game.

Honorable Mentions:
Transport Tycoon Deluxe
X3 - Reunion

Speaking about Warlords Battlecry...AFAIK Warlors V. is in development, is this true? Warlords IV. was kinda bad sadly, but hopefully part V. will be decent again.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2008, 08:21:06 am »

Hello Tormy!

Speaking about Warlords Battlecry...AFAIK Warlors V. is in development, is this true? Warlords IV. was kinda bad sadly, but hopefully part V. will be decent again.

You do realize that you just turned last week into a disappointment, don't you?

I had played Warlords quite a while ago (yep, the first one) and it were quite fond memories. I was disappointed when I found out that Battlecry was just some RTS.

Last week, due to some good luck, I came across a copy of Warlords IV at an affordable price: 1.5 Euro (special bargain sales at the department store). I was really happy to have that game again, though I wasn't able to play it yet because of some overly complex dwarf simulation game someone has been making available for poor addicts...

Anyhow, I was hoping that Warlords IV would be Warlords for the good ol' feeling, and now you say that it is no good (T_T) I suppose that is just my kind of luck.

Deathworks

Snap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:17 am »

I was disappointed when I found out that Battlecry was just some RTS.

Warlords: Battlecry is awesome when played against someone online. The huge amount of customization allowed in the Hero keeps it fun. I hope they make a new one soon. It was one of the best games of rock-paper-scissors ever made. You can always find a way to counter the other guys Hero if you try hard enough.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2008, 09:37:53 am »

Hello Tormy!

I had played Warlords quite a while ago (yep, the first one) and it were quite fond memories. I was disappointed when I found out that Battlecry was just some RTS.

Last week, due to some good luck, I came across a copy of Warlords IV at an affordable price: 1.5 Euro (special bargain sales at the department store). I was really happy to have that game again, though I wasn't able to play it yet because of some overly complex dwarf simulation game someone has been making available for poor addicts...

Anyhow, I was hoping that Warlords IV would be Warlords for the good ol' feeling, and now you say that it is no good (T_T) I suppose that is just my kind of luck.

Deathworks

Ah hehe.. ;D
Well sadly it is not that good...the new combat system was pretty bad for example.
I was browsing on the net to find some infos about part V. but it seems like that its in very early development...Ive read some dev plans, and those are decent...but I guess we wont see Warlords V. for a couple of more years..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:43:31 am by Tormy »

Angellus

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 02:30:36 pm »

Hello Tormy!

Deathworks
1,5 euro games, dude where do you live? XD

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 02:39:07 pm »

Greetings!

Snap: Well, my private computer has the best "firewall" it can have, so multiplayer is not really an option. Besides, I love games which pause for me :) :)

Tormy: Several years ... just the kind of thing I would have expected :) :) :)
Oh well, at least I have DF and SimCity 4.

Angellus: Germany. When I happen to be in a computer shop, I usually stroll through the budget section hoping for a good game down in the 10 Euro aisle. So, they may not be recently released, but that does not change good games like SimCity 4 suddenly into bad games.

It just happened that Karstadt, which only have a minor computer game section anyway was doing some special sales, so instead of the 3 Euro they had tagged the game I only needed to pay 1.5 Euro (and I only noticed when I went to pay, having prepared myself to put forth those 3 Euro).

Actually, I was even more surprised that it even came with a printed manual. I really hate those PDF fanatics.

Deathworks

Angellus

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 02:47:01 pm »

Greetings!

Snap: Well, my private computer has the best "firewall" it can have, so multiplayer is not really an option. Besides, I love games which pause for me :) :)

Tormy: Several years ... just the kind of thing I would have expected :) :) :)
Oh well, at least I have DF and SimCity 4.

Angellus: Germany. When I happen to be in a computer shop, I usually stroll through the budget section hoping for a good game down in the 10 Euro aisle. So, they may not be recently released, but that does not change good games like SimCity 4 suddenly into bad games.

It just happened that Karstadt, which only have a minor computer game section anyway was doing some special sales, so instead of the 3 Euro they had tagged the game I only needed to pay 1.5 Euro (and I only noticed when I went to pay, having prepared myself to put forth those 3 Euro).

Actually, I was even more surprised that it even came with a printed manual. I really hate those PDF fanatics.

Deathworks
Kickass, ^^ I'm a western neighbor of you then.
Here the games might fall to 3 euro's, but games that have the very least amount of gameplay are not tagged below 10 euro's :(

Too bad though, a game has to be totally hated by the complete community here to reach the damned 3 euro point >_<...

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2008, 03:01:11 pm »

If you like adventure/nethack, I liked freeware game Incursion.  For Fortress Mode, maybe Warcraft3 or Starcraft2?  ;p

Angellus

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »

If you like adventure/nethack, I liked freeware game Incursion.  For Fortress Mode, maybe Warcraft3 or Starcraft2?  ;p
Got SC and W3 installed already :) didnt like SC much, but I'm a addict to the survival maps of W3. ^^
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5