Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: So, about good games...  (Read 6921 times)

Angellus

So, about good games...
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:24:48 pm »

I really like DF, most of you know that about now as I start nearly every tread with those words.

What I am looking for is a game like it.

So far I have found 2 other games and possibly a thirth:

- Dungeon Keeper (I & II)
- Evil genius

These are both loved, great games.

the thirth is Hinterlands, but this games is not out yet and honesly it does not look like it will touch me either.

Anyhow, I am searching for more games to kill my time when I have abandoned yet another fortress (I keep breaks between fortresses :)...)

Waylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, about good games...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:43:35 pm »

Nethack
The Sims
Spore will probably be similar.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:47:19 pm »

Spore looks like it will be nice, comes out in US September 7th on Mac and PC. I think.

I honestly have never liked a game as much as DF, so I can't help you too much.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:54:10 pm »

Spore looks like it will be nice, comes out in US September 7th on Mac and PC. I think.

And every other system that matters (and doesn't).  DS, Wii, XBox, PS3, iPhone....You also got the date right. :)

Angellus

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:59:31 pm »

hmmm, had all those already (spore does not look so good to me, if only for the fact that I will have to pay monthly to play XD)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:42:19 pm »

DF is quite unique, I dont think that theres any other game like DF actually.

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:45:18 pm »

Dude you scared me a moment
See this thread though:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-44802166&pid=926714

Spore won't cost money per month!! thank god.
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:46:36 pm »

See this thread though:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-44802166&pid=926714

Huh?? Its not a MMO, why should it have a monthly fee?  ::)
Spore is a singleplayer game.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:07:34 pm »

See this thread though:

Huh?? Its not a MMO, why should it have a monthly fee?  ::)
Spore is a singleplayer game.

He was responding to Angelus, 2 posts above his, who said he wouldn't be able to play because it had a monthly fee. 
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:56 pm »

Republic The Revolution could of been awesome...so close.  But it's still not half bad.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 09:19:48 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth is a great game and its free! But only look it up if you like hex based strategy games, its not for everyone.

Nethack? What a great but terribly frustrating game.

You are starving!
You find a food ration on the ground!
You eat the ration, it was poisoned!
You die!
Game over.

I heard that evil genius was total crap but I didn't play anything other than the demo. Did they patch it up or something?
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:45:05 pm »

hmmm, had all those already (spore does not look so good to me, if only for the fact that I will have to pay monthly to play XD)

Nope, the rumors of a monthly fee were wrong.  You buy the game and make an online user name.  The user name is free and is used as both a form of copy-protection and to allow the game to upload/download creatures from the Spore Database.  The downloading of creatures is done automatically by the generator, or manually by you if you like a certain user's creatures and would like to see more, and is used to populate your worlds.  The uploading is done manually by you to share your creations so that they be browsed and downloaded by others.

No fee is required other than the initial cost to buy the game.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:46:56 pm by wallish »

Silfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 03:19:10 am »

ADOM is much more forgiving than Nethack. You still die often, but at least you know how you could have prevented it afterwards. Also it has a much better interface and looks nicer.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 03:28:59 am »

ADOM has an absolutely retarded level scaling system for monsters. Say you go out and kill rats. Sounds familiar right? The more rats you kill the less xp they are worth. Makes sense.

However in ADOM the more of one creature you kill the tougher they get. And this buffing never stops. There are places in ADOM with "infinite" dungeons. If you spend too much time slaughtering one type of monsters you will run into super buffed level 100 examples later in the game.

One guy I read about wiped the floor with 6 ancient frost dragons. Then went outside and got utterly pawned by 5 jackals.

Another was just about to enter the final stage of the game and he got killed by a rat.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 03:36:56 am »

There's exactly one place in ADOM where it's not advisable to stay too long, and that's the first level of the small cave. I once met a white worm in there. Exactly one white worm. I chose to overlook him and ran after a certain orc. Sometimes you just don't realise mistakes until after they're made. I was tough enough not to take much damage, but even with combat settings to maximum offensive, I couldn't cleave a way out of the dungeon and was swamped by progressively stronger worms.
I never bumped into stupid amounts of overlevelling, but I do know the game is supposed to get harder the more time you spend in it, because there's a gate of chaos opening and all sorts of creatures start appearing after a while.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5