Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pillars - I miss caveins.  (Read 8224 times)

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pillars - I miss caveins.
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:09:33 am »

Does anyone else miss caveins? I do, and I still design large rooms to respect the old 7x7 cavein rules. Does anyone else do this? Or am I the only one who wants the old unintended consequences back?

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars - I miss caveins.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:13:32 am »

I don't because i'm neo 7x7 to prevent caveins era (before z levels?). I would like to see it return though, it sounds very interesting having to keep that in mind when designing a fortress.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

Does anyone else miss caveins? I do, and I still design large rooms to respect the old 7x7 cavein rules. Does anyone else do this? Or am I the only one who wants the old unintended consequences back?

Weird, but I also miss those days.  :P

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 12:33:16 pm »

Well, hell, that made me nostalgic, thus, I'm now playing a throwback game in 23.130.23a.  I forgot how to even properly embark. Unlimited ability to stack skills on one dwarf? Crazy! I might even need to do a one dwarf challenge later.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:41:33 pm »

I build according to the 7x7 rule, also. Old habits die hard, I guess.

And I'll be a step ahead of the game if the 7x7 caveins ever get re-instituted.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:44:23 pm »

I like the huge rooms I've been able to build since the Z-level update, but I could quite easily go back to some sort of size-related room instability.  It'd give my architects something to do, building all those supports.

Sometimes I do it just for looks, but I've kicked the habit.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 01:17:25 pm »

I do have the habit of leaving some pillars in larger rooms untouched though, just for that esthetical factor.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 01:27:10 pm »

It'd be night impossible to make anything truly grand with such limitations

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 01:59:04 pm »

The real world has limitations. That hasn't stopped engineers from creating very large and beautiful buildings. They say that if we really put out minds to it, a space elevator would be feasible within a century.

Anyway, I never played the 2D, but cave-in mechanics would be nice. Maybe with some more advanced material strenght calculations to fit the new and improved building. Or just a crude "only collapse a roof"-rule, so that a 15x15 room with a 5x5 empty space in the level above does not collapse.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 02:20:11 pm »

IMO, Moria wouldn't look nearly so grand if it was just a giant empty room. The rows upon rows of pillars allow one to better visualize the sheer size of the place.

When I make tower cap farms I leave nice massive pillars in place in the same manner, and I even try to align them from one Z-level to the next when multiple caverns are stacked, since that would improve structural integrity in RL. Having to take support from floors above and below into account would be neat, it adds a lot of interesting constraints to construction. Perhaps it could even allow larger pillar-free rooms if the game's physics accounted for multi-level 'vaulted' ceilings.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 03:03:20 pm »

I miss cave-ins, but I like the big rooms that can be built these days.
I gather that even with the old cave-in rules, the dwarfs are superlative miners - in the real world (wherever that might be) miners have to leave *much* larger pillars/unmined areas to keep things safe.  Like, 40-50% of total area kind of pillars.   ::)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 03:15:51 pm »

. They say that if we really put out minds to it, a space elevator would be feasible within a century.

Actually, if we had spent the $3 trillion on the war on a space elevator, we'd probably have about a dozen operational space elevators by now. We already have the tech, its just an engineering problem at this point. A somewhat expensive engineering problem, but really thats just an issue of budgeting...

rumcoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 03:23:49 pm »

IMO, Moria wouldn't look nearly so grand if it was just a giant empty room. The rows upon rows of pillars allow one to better visualize the sheer size of the place.

Yeah. I once mined out an entire 3x3 Z-level for above-ground constructions but leaving pillars here and there in a pattern and it looked pretty cool to just scroll along and see the endless cavern my dwarves had dug out.

Grand_Marquis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 03:48:09 pm »

. They say that if we really put out minds to it, a space elevator would be feasible within a century.

Actually, if we had spent the $3 trillion on the war on a space elevator, we'd probably have about a dozen operational space elevators by now. We already have the tech, its just an engineering problem at this point. A somewhat expensive engineering problem, but really thats just an issue of budgeting...

I don't think anyone's figured out how to make carbon monowire long enough quite just yet.  The strands they've succeeded in making are more like fibers.  But yeah, 3 trillion dollars.

I've never played the pre-z axis version, but I also never dig out large rooms without intentionally leaving natural pillars as 'support'.  What would be great, actually - instead of a simple constraint, the game could do periodic checks for rooms over a certain size - with larger rooms having a higher chance of stability-weakening cracks - and warn you that the ceiling has begun to sag + highlight where the problem is.  That way, if you irresponsibly dig out huge rooms without supports, the punishment is that the pillars will need to be put in really inconvenient places, rather than being a horrible dwarf-killing collapse.  And of course, if you ignore the warnings and let it get too bad, the collapse happens anyway.  ;D

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 04:38:07 pm »

I don't think anyone's figured out how to make carbon monowire long enough quite just yet.  The strands they've succeeded in making are more like fibers.  But yeah, 3 trillion dollars.

Carbon nanotube fibers are already being mass produced by the ton, and to turn fibers into a cable or ribbon just requires weaving. The fibers aren't quite strong enough yet, but thats an issue of manufacturing tech. The biggest hurdle is simply the money. It'd take a ton of R&D money to work out all the kinks, but the basic idea is sound. Its just that the Manhattan Project like drive to develop it is missing. However, it'd still be a pittance compared to all the money spend on blowing stuff up for no good reason.   ::)

/rant
Pages: [1] 2 3 4