Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ditch The Axes Strategy  (Read 1985 times)

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
Re: Ditch The Axes Strategy
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 01:20:10 am »

My usual dealio is to drop both axes and picks, and bring along 2 copper, 1 bismuthinite, and 1 cassiterite ore with enough fuel for 9 smelt/metalsmithing jobs. That gives me 4 bars of bismuth bronze which I usually turn into 2 picks, an axe and a chain (first for anti kobold watch at the front door of my temporary accomodation, later for my first well in the main fortress)

I keep my anvil, and most embarks I still end up having spare points that I blow on even more turtles (21 is what i would usually bring). I also have enough food and booze barrels to last longer than it takes to get food/booze industry up and running. I honestly wouldnt know what to spend that 1000 points on....
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 01:33:40 am »

Personaly, i agree with Spey, with 1000 points i just get like 25 war dogs...lol
i remove an axe usualy, and replace all plump helmets with the seeds, which cost less, an put alot of extra points to meat and booze...
It works for me...!
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Kohana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 01:45:32 am »

I generally go real minimalist when taking stuff including on the skills.  One proficient miner and a proficient clothier/weaver.  I drop everything but one copper pick.  Get enough turtle to last until fall, enough booze for a few drinks to keep full speed for awhile or enough to get until fall if no drinkable water is present on the map, 5 or so of every seed, 2 dogs , 2 cats, about 30 logs.  Then spend the rest of the points on giant cave spider thread.  Any remaining after that goes into pig tail thread or extra logs.

I have the clothier/weaver weave all the thread and make clothing that comes in pairs so I get 2 items for every thread.  The items range from ~1.2k to ~2k generally with a few 4k ones if I'm lucky.  Once fall comes around I can easily afford any axes and anvils and anything I want for the next year off the initial finished goods made from the threads.  Plus with all that value right away I expand my workforce very fast to get the fort moving along quickly.

Since early on you only need 7 beds and a few bins to keep things neat and tidy there is no need for the axe for woodcutting anyway.  You shouldn't really need more wood until after you've had a trade caravan come and some migrants and with the value you get by dropping everything but what you need you can have all you want and more by fall.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 05:44:16 am »

i dont care at all what i spend the points at... i usually just embark right away.
got axes picks an anvil.. so what i dont get i just make on site.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 05:53:42 am »

Who needs two axes anyway? You only really need one, and that only costs 300

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 10:30:36 am »

Who needs two axes anyway? You only really need one, and that only costs 300

Yeah, I never embark with more than one woodcutter.  For the amount of wood I use, it makes no sense to devote two dwarves to logging when the second could be doing something more useful.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 11:13:45 am »

Who needs two axes anyway?

That depends, you coudl always have an Insta-Military with an extra Axedwarf.

Not saying it's a huge thing, but still, it's an option.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.
Pages: 1 [2]