Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: post-HFS suggestions? *spoilers, of course*  (Read 1242 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
post-HFS suggestions? *spoilers, of course*
« on: August 16, 2008, 12:51:22 am »

So I just breached the pits, but this time I decided to take the demons on in a fair fight rather than just dumping rock on their heads.  My ten-dwarf elite military assembled to hold back the onslaught.  The result was epic, bloody, and a mighty drain on FPS.  I actually got a video of it, but it's too long for the DFMA.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So uh yeah.  Now I've got all the admantine I want, a ton of demon bodies, and most significantly a metric shitload of crazy people running al over my fortress (they seem to like hanging out in my nobles' quarters, which I find amusing.).  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with them?  It's bad enough that all of my dwarves are constantly running around looting dead bodies, without these extra crazy people.  They really are getting in the way.  I've never actually had them survive before, let alone hang out in my fortress.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: post-HFS suggestions? *spoilers, of course*
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 12:55:44 am »

They'll just die of starvation/thirst after a while.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:04:42 am »

Yes, but that's not in the spirit of dwarven over-engineering is it? ;)

Chaz Turbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 02:54:58 am »

I think the crazies will set off traps.  You could set some weapon/cage traps where the crazies are to see if that helps your problem.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:10:47 am »

I would just like to say that that is _-=*FUCKING EPIC*=-_.  Jeez, to trace that battle back through the halls by simply following the dead bodies...   Brilliant.

In any case, dwarves should treat the escapees as animals and try to stick them in cages.  Just build a free cage and see if you can't shove them in.

Otherwise, use the cage trap method.  But be careful, these guys have been in the underworld being tormented by demons for a very long time...  I've had a few snap and start attacking nearby dwarves before.

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 06:54:38 am »

great maps

as far as crazies, i think df should allow SOME of the crazies to come back to reality sometimes, then the metaphorical point of the game design would be to make sure there arent any gigantic cliffs near/within your fortress for someone to leap to their death to. we'd have to make our fortresses safe for daily living if we hoped to save one or two of a dozen crazies that we get.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 11:33:31 am »

Maybe i'm alone but i just hoped there was this off chance, in a HIGHLY "estatic" fortress, for dwarfs (or other races) to redeem and avoid imminent self destruction after for example a failed mood or escaping the pits. (ofcourse with personality having an effect on the outcome)
It would add a lot of new flair to the game.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:51:10 pm »

Think about that for a second.  Behold Lovetulips, dwarven center of sugar roasts and feeling chipper.  Look at all the dwarves skipping along the paths to their work, their beards perpetually turned up in a grin as they all sing "Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy!" as they go.

Now look at the one fellow over there, he's not singing.  He's not even smiling.  He just lost his life's work because these prancing idiots couldn't find any more of the ore they've been digging up for the past decade.  He's broken, an empty shell.  His one chance at greatness has been dashed upon the rocks, and these skipping, singing dimwits just won't SHUT UPBLAAARGAGGH!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 01:14:53 pm »

Sure, only an off chance at redemption. And even if somehow a dwarf pulls him/herself through melancholy or whatever, then it still doesn't take much to push him/her over the edge, again. Would add a fun "on the edge of a razor" factor instead of just accepting an absolute lost cause (wich doesn't ask much from the player, except locking said dwarf in a room or whatever).
I don't know, sounds more involving when you know a dwarf could pull through, if it wasn't for your pathetic fortress, and all the more depressing when the dwarf doesn't. Its like, even though the dwarf has a chance at life, he still prefers death cause your fortress sucks. lol
Ofcourse if you do manage to pull the dwarf through, then thats a very memorable moment too.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.