Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 3dwarf stress test  (Read 3432 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: 3dwarf stress test
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

I found an 8X12 map that was ALL named mountain tiles except one forest tile at the bottom right. It had a river and a chasm AND a chasm pit. Brought my computer to its knees at 11fps.

I tried to put it in 3dwarf but it loads up to 60% on the last bar and quits. Im going to try again with the top layer only.

Reloaded it again to have another go. 5fps this time. Having a reclaim party of 42 and 8, 8!!!! whole pages of chasm critters didn't help.

EDIT: Oh my....

Though you can't see either from this angle there is also a river chasm and a sinkhole chasm.

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

Wow. That's beautiful. Why is it so grainy-looking, though? Sadly, I don't think I can get this working. Or maybe I just haven't tried. Regardless, this is what [V]iew should be.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

I turned off mipmapping for that screenie cause even my 8800gts was having trouble rendering it. It boosted the performance enough for me to take that shot but the "wood grain" effect got a bit worse. Not sure what causes it in the first place.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

It's grainy because it's made up of tiles.  Anyway, show us a shot with the chasm, I"d like to see how 3dwarf does them.
Shoes...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

Can do, this is the vent chasm:

Chasms look like this because they use the same terrain generation code as brooks, rivers, streams and magma vents. A vent chasm is essentially an empty magma vent and the river chasm are shaped the same way as rivers but have caves branching off.

This is what they look like from the outside. Look at all those caves! I didn't take a picture inside the river chasm because the view gets cut off quickly and you can't see anything interesting.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 07:20:54 pm »

Are all those caves remotely possible on a default-sized starting area?  The size-relationship to the column chasm makes the caves look like they'd fit in a 4x4 selection area, or whatever the default starting area size is.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 12:33:18 am »

default is 6x6 so maybe? Vent chasms are just over 1x1 map squares. Or 48x48 fortress tiles.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 01:00:23 pm »

Can do, this is the vent chasm:

Sweetness. First time I've gotten vertigo from a screen shot.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:17 pm »

I just realized that 3dwarf has a settings file. I changed the tile height scale back to 1 instead of 1.5

I also bumped up the rendering size to a delicious 1600x1200 fullscreen. Its facemelting.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 03:13:02 pm »

It kind of reminds me of a heroscape board, except with like 1000000 pieces.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 07:39:25 am »

Almost forgot about this topic. I wonder, did anyone using visual fortress try to stress test it the same way?

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 09:03:41 pm »

Just loaded up a few brand spankin' new fortresses on some huge embark sizes; all the way up to 16x16. Popped up Visual Fortress, and took screenshots. Organized the results in to some folders... I was going to post them all here, but they're 1mb+ .png files. So rather than kill any poor dialup users, I'll just post a teaser and give you a link.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Find the rest here: http://rpg.fiftycal.net/Dorf/Screenshots/

I'd be more than happy to do some more, if people are interested. For reference, the 16x16 brought my computer to a craw (4fps) and took nearly 3 minutes to embark.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 06:32:07 pm »

Wow, can you give me the seed number/raws for that one?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 08:49:48 pm »

The image I included in my post, or one of the others I linked to?

As a PS, all the ones I took shots of should have river/flux/magma pipe/HFS at the minimum. Some also have chasm. But, of course, they're all huge.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 11:01:03 pm »

Man, any of those would be nice, but I particularly like the one you posted here.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 [2] 3