Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: unstopable Immigration and wealth  (Read 1455 times)

Hikato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
unstopable Immigration and wealth
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:07:47 pm »

Anyone else have the problem of insane Immigration caused by dwarfs deciding to go in a mood and create insanely priced amror, weapons etc in the first few years - once my weapon/armor smith decided to go in a mood the 2rd year and decided to create the most insane steel armor skyrocketing my wealth and attracting over 30 dwarfs the same year.

Also this tends to repeat itself due to more dwarfs higher change of moods and increasing the dwarfs etc.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
Re: unstopable Immigration and wealth
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:38:10 pm »

It can be somewhat overwhelming, but immigration is a "problem" that solves itself.

The part that gets me is reorganizing my labor force every time it happens, resulting in a half hour of wasted "U, C, P, L, Click click click click, Space..." repeated over and over.

But if you reassign enough of those immigrants to growing, and expand your farms, they'll feed themselves. Set up extra carpenter workshops and devote 5 of them to building newcomer beds. Recruit 5 unskilled miners and marvel at the stoneless livingquarters they make for you. Put brew drink on repeat. Then, once you've done the "immigrant scramble", you can work on integrating them into your REAL workforce.

Make good use of your founders and their likely very high skills in their specialties to stay ahead of the game. A legendary miner can tear through rock, forging a homestead for a moderate-population fort in a couple seasons at most, if he has nothing else to do. A high-skill carpenter will pump out more beds than you know what to do with. A long-time logger will keep a full crew of wood haulers busy all by himself.

My fort plans abuse my founders, using them, ironically, as the foundation of everything else. Sure, it may not be the glamor jobs, like working a magma forge, or decorating masterwork furniture with rare gems, but EVERYONE loves Trammeledpaddle's Dwarven Syrup Stew, and Oakgalleys makes the best dwarven rum this side of the Spine of Breaking. And it would take 10 of anyone else to keep up with them.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »

Do you have magma?  Put all the artifacts in a pile, and fill the room with magma.  Then the wealth is gone.

Also put the creators in there so they don't tantrum.  Also all the soap makers, cheese makers, ly makers, milkers, and peasants.

Both problems solved.

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:10:46 pm »

Do you have magma?  Put all the artifacts in a pile, and fill the room with magma.  Then the wealth is gone.

Also put the creators in there so they don't tantrum.  Also all the soap makers, cheese makers, ly makers, milkers, and peasants.

Both problems solved.

This has the added bonus of reducing all further immigrant waves.

dabbling noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:53:36 pm »

draft them and let them kill eachother off sparring. eventually the dwarves that survive will be bad asses.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:04:51 pm »

p-A p-A p-A (x20-something), put them all in one squad, station on retractable bridge (that happens to have magma underneath). Pull lever until all are dead. Immigration problem solved.
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:26:37 pm »

I just use a room of cages. a BIG room. I get a bunch of caged dwarves, use the berserkers in an arena, the suicidal ones get let go, and the insane ones? They're the victims opponents of the berserkers in the arena.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:56:36 pm »

Designate them all for pump operation and hualing. Whenever you need a dwarf for expanding your farms, etc., just scroll through all your pump operators and find one with stats that'll work well in his new job.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 02:46:31 am »

This last fort I did, I tried not to make any money, didn't get immigrants till the 4th year after some jerk made an artifact scepter. Then it just went downhill from there, 7-21-41 dwarves by the end of the year =(. Even killing them off en masse wasn't helping after my jeweler had a mood.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 04:00:01 am »

Hi!

Build major surface farms, have a few kitchens and sell prepared food to the caravans. That does not reduce the immigration/wealth, but it keeps your dwarves busy and stabilizes your fortress (no food problems).

Deathworks

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 11:50:38 am »

Make thems socialize witch eachother for say a year non-stop. hehehe.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 12:13:10 pm »

Make thems socialize witch eachother for say a year non-stop. hehehe.

Thats the setup for a tantrum spiral
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Shadowkire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 01:13:37 pm »

set your population cap to a manageable number in init.txt

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 03:21:31 pm »

All you need is a decent sized barracks (say 30-40 beds) and a small farm (say 2 * 5*5) and they won't cause too much trouble.  My personal preference is to leave all immigrants as their chosen profession except for a handful of professions - lye makers etc., and in my case anything fish-related (too much hassle keeping fish cleaned) and animal/hunting-related (overhunting = nothing to hunt, ever, sadly) gets drafted.  Peasants get a random skill or skills from engraving, mechanics, siege operating, pump operating, farming (fields) and soon cease to be peasants.

In short, if it's dark blue or dark green, draft it, if it's a peasant, give it a skill which will train easily.  Don't bother about giving them a room until you're ready, let 'em use the barracks.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 11:22:53 pm »

draft them and let them kill eachother off sparring. eventually the dwarves that survive will be assholes with bruised necks.