Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Core Components  (Read 4187 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Core Components
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 01:17:16 am »

Is burrow a deliberate pun on borough?

Yeah.  I probably shouldn't have.  It's not too late.

No, don't change it, it's unique and dwarfy!  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 03:52:42 am »

What, no love for fire and lightning ?

Fire and lighting, not lightning.  Lighting, as in that area in the hardware store you buy light bulbs and those tacky light-fans.

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 07:04:34 am »

I too vote to keep "burrows".. always tought the pun was charming.

--Eino

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 11:16:21 am »

Weird, I was working last night on revising the Core lists, and I woke up this afternoon to this topic.  Hopefully I'll have something posted in a few days, and hopefully it will have around 47 new entries.  The main thing was that the version number is supposedly going to hit 1 at some point -- it looks like 0.<Core>.<Req>.<Bloat><letter>, and the idea was that once <Core> hit 100, the 1 would take the 0 slot over.  The problem is that there aren't enough Core items, and worse, a lot of the major revisions up on Future of the Fortress don't have associated Core items, even though finishing many of them mean significant progress toward the v1 arcs.  I'll also probably be adding a few v1 arcs to encompass FotF listed items like randomization and language, and maybe a few of the future arcs fit more with the v1 goals (I haven't checked that part yet), though many of the arcs of course will spill passed v1 as dev is expanded.  I haven't yet found time to write up the now 1000 lines of new Req/Bloat items that are filling up my intermediate planning text file...  way too much to do these days.

That really is a dark Core color, and the Bloat isn't quite pukey enough.

edit: vvv  Technology acquired!  I didn't realize it allowed values beyond its drop-down list.

edit 2:  Further upgrade.  It lets me set the values as #FF8800 and #AAFF00.  Awesome.

Holy crap, Toady please let us see that Core list as soon as possible!  :D

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 11:26:14 am »

I think the best thing in the whole of the dev list is the bloat on glasses.
Grind down a Clear Glass gem into a lens, make a frame out of wood or metal, fit the two together and give it to a shortsighted dwarf.

And I thought that "burrows" was based on the Kafka short story "The Burrow".

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 11:55:33 am »

What, no love for fire and lightning ?

Fire and lighting, not lightning.  Lighting, as in that area in the hardware store you buy light bulbs and those tacky light-fans.
I'm sure people got what I was talking about anyway, no need for crash courses in english vocabulary ;).

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 12:03:45 pm »

It's a common mistake. I think people are trying to trick Toady into beefing up weather.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 12:37:42 pm »

Hehe. Forest fires could make life interesting.

And lightning should be in the game, at least once the magic arc comes in. But, I too thought it was Fire & Lightning the first time I read it.

I'm looking forward to:
Burrows Arc
Completed Army Arc
Caravan Arc
Kingdom/Dutchy/County arc
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 12:49:28 pm »

I've never quite figured out what the point of the Burrows arc was. Aside from that, though, pretty much everything on the list is sounds really cool, especially the ones Mephansteras mentioned.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 01:02:52 pm »

It allows you to have a fully functioning fortress, along with one crazy hermit living up in the mountains.

Needless to say, it is one of the most highly-anticipated arcs.

Oh, and I suppose you could use it to effectively streamline all hauling and resource management in your fortress.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 09:46:09 pm »

Core38, PRODUCTION TRACKING AND HISTORY TRIGGERS, (Future): The objects at a site need to be tracked in an abstract form so that the world can use them without loading up the site files. Any changes could be applied to the site file retroactively when it is loaded (the same is true of damage from wars and so on). Stores should restock their inventories. The objects need to be separated based on the entity that owns them, since several entities can potentially operate at one site. Past production can also be stored (especially from your own dwarf fortresses and these facts can be referenced in the legends and art work. However, your own fortress facts could be hidden, forcing you to find the information with adventurers. When you enter a fortress, each hidden historical event and fact could be associated to one or more triggers, such as the produced objects, diaries, etc. It can also track facts about artisans in a similar fashion. Other facts like the number of executions, population break-down, amount of mining and so on could all be referenced.

also:
Core21, SOUND, (Future): Make all music/sounds optional, in groups. More songs (possibly seasonal), incidental music (like spotting the first kobold in a cave, etc.), various combat type sounds and ambient sounds, pleasing interface clicks.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 11:28:14 pm »

Core21, SOUND, (Future): Make all music/sounds optional, in groups. More songs (possibly seasonal), incidental music (like spotting the first kobold in a cave, etc.), various combat type sounds and ambient sounds, pleasing interface clicks.

But I like the current guitar music! Hell, I would donate to get some more songs, although choosing between more music and ascii art is a superdwarvenly tough decision.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:05 am »

I am really looking forward to lighting, for several reasons. One, all that tallow will have another use. Two, flickering torches will add so much to the atmosphere of adventuring in an abandoned fortress

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 10:32:07 am »

Personally I really dislike magic, it's so bland and unimaginative. Not that swords are the pinnacle of creativity

Using bauxite and liquid fire to make explosive catapult rounds and turning golden salve into a healing agent is more in tune with the current theme. Dwarves might already be a bit too eager to wear skirts but letting them yell magic missile and shoot fireworks out of their hands isn't helping. What next, dwarves getting happy thoughts from washing with soap more than once a year?

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 12:11:03 pm »

I honestly cannot wait for the land around my fortress to develop into a kingdom. That, combined with retiring fortresses, will make  adventure mode so much more fun. Going to Hammermost in a few years and getting a quest to kill the evil dwarf hungry beak dogs will be awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3