Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Core Components  (Read 4193 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Core Components
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:45:44 pm »

I LOVE reading about new features for games that I LOVE. It probably isn't the most health thing for me, seeing as it can create sleep deprivation, but I read almost all of the Core Components list. I am just wondering what your guys' favorites are, they can be bloats; reqs; or Power Goals.

These are my TOP favorites-

County, Duchy, and Kingdom outskirts Core Components.
All of the Army related Components.
Magic.
Caravans.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Core Components
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:47:58 pm »

Magic looks...interesting, depending on how toady manages it, and I really, really look forward to controlling dwarves during battle in fortress mode.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:13:01 pm »

Combat revision. Not the actual mechanics of combat, moreso the control you have over your dwarves - assigning them specific weapons and armor, telling them not to fall asleep in the middle of massive battles, etc. I don't like using traps (it's not just that they're overpowered - I don't like game mechanics that are essentially 'automated' and don't require my input. Well... not fun mechanics that kill perfectly good goblin invaders in such a boring manner, anyway) but forming a military is painfully difficult because of the lack of control at the minute.

Burrows. For me, this is what will change our fortresses from settlements into cities, with the ability to properly structure where groups of dwarves will sleep, work, eat and generally live their lives.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:24:38 pm »

Burrows is my most-exciting one.  Lets me make my fortresses way more cool and themey.

Followed by sound.  Seasonal music!

And then Serving the King and Monsters.  Serving the King introduces specific goals, and I like that, plus I get to see how my soldiers are turning out.  Kind of like sending guys to Valhalla in Valkyrie Profile.  And dragons that don't die from two crossbow bolts, or show up missing a couple legs and pass out, will be nice.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:39:42 pm »

Magic, County->Duchy->Kingdom, Armies + overland attacks + army battles, Raids, Serving the King, Tileset Support, Interface Overhaul, More Raw files, Civilizations at war.  8)

Oh man, Ive almost listed all core compoments... ;D .. ah well these are my favourites anyway!

As for the ARC part..
These are my favourites:

Army Arc
Diplomacy Arc
County Arc
Combat Arc
Presentation Arc
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:42:37 pm by Tormy »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:08:29 pm »

Magic looks...interesting, depending on how toady manages it, and I really, really look forward to controlling dwarves during battle in fortress mode.

Engraved on the wall is an image of a carp and dwarves.
The carp is burning. The dwarves are laughing.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:14:03 pm »

Just wanted to add:  I think Serving the King is perfectly implementable even before your dwarves are controllable on the field.  As long as I get a window that pops up saying:

"The Battle of Foo was fought.  Urist Elevenflower killed two goblins, and was promoted to Sergeant; she now leads these foreign dwarves: [names].  Urist Otherbeard killed a beak dog, and lost an eye to a goblin archer.  Urist Redundantfrog was struck down by the goblin Sneakybreath, RIP.  Sneakybreath escaped the battlefield."

...That might even be preferable to manual control of them while they're away from home, under some other leader.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:15:37 pm »

1. Interface Overhaul
2. Tileset Support
3. More Raw Files
4. Burrows

Yeah, I know, I'm all about the superficial.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:08:02 pm »

there is one major thing beside interface and code - optimization i cant wait to see:

beeing able to use my army on the world map.
something like in cesar 2 , where i culd use my army to make war on a big world map whilst i managed my town on a smaller scale.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 08:54:08 pm »

Weird, I was working last night on revising the Core lists, and I woke up this afternoon to this topic.  Hopefully I'll have something posted in a few days, and hopefully it will have around 47 new entries.  The main thing was that the version number is supposedly going to hit 1 at some point -- it looks like 0.<Core>.<Req>.<Bloat><letter>, and the idea was that once <Core> hit 100, the 1 would take the 0 slot over.  The problem is that there aren't enough Core items, and worse, a lot of the major revisions up on Future of the Fortress don't have associated Core items, even though finishing many of them mean significant progress toward the v1 arcs.  I'll also probably be adding a few v1 arcs to encompass FotF listed items like randomization and language, and maybe a few of the future arcs fit more with the v1 goals (I haven't checked that part yet), though many of the arcs of course will spill passed v1 as dev is expanded.  I haven't yet found time to write up the now 1000 lines of new Req/Bloat items that are filling up my intermediate planning text file...  way too much to do these days.

That really is a dark Core color, and the Bloat isn't quite pukey enough.

edit: vvv  Technology acquired!  I didn't realize it allowed values beyond its drop-down list.

edit 2:  Further upgrade.  It lets me set the values as #FF8800 and #AAFF00.  Awesome.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:29:37 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 09:09:56 pm »

That really is a dark Core color, and the Bloat isn't quite pukey enough.

Heehee.
And cyan is probably what you want.
Hmmm chartreuse?

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:33:40 pm »

Is burrow a deliberate pun on borough?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:54 pm »

Is burrow a deliberate pun on borough?

Yeah.  I probably shouldn't have.  It's not too late.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 10:20:20 pm »

edit 2:  Further upgrade.  It lets me set the values as #FF8800 and #AAFF00.  Awesome.

Just awesome, isn't it?  BBC has done that for a while, very handy.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 01:01:32 am »

What, no love for fire and lightning ? I can't wait to see glorious ASCII shading with dwarves illuminating the area around them when they walk around a cave. It would have to be dealt in a subtle manner though, nothing like having to manufacture a torch for every dwarf or so.
Pages: [1] 2 3