Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engraved Walls/Floors SUCK!  (Read 4959 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Engraved Walls/Floors SUCK!
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:51:40 am »

<rant>
I recently decided to let my newest immigrant engraver do his thing all over my dinning hall. This was a mistake! What once was an easy to discern, finely smoothed wall is now a jumble of crazy symbols! It looks worse than when i had boulders laying around everywhere! It looks like my furniture stockpile barfed all over the place! There carving of beds and all which look....exactly like actual beds! I will have to kill all engravers when they arrive from now on. This feature SUCKS!

</rant>

hehe
I got nothing

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraved Walls/Floors SUCK!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:59:17 am »

I decided to just do the walls of a noble room the first time (I think it was a mayor).  After awhile I decided to go look and I said "thank god I didn't do the whole damn room).  Based on just the walls I have an idea of what your going though.  I'm not sure if it is possible to remove engravings but my guess would be to just smooth the walls again.

anyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 11:00:10 am »

<rant>
I recently decided to let my newest immigrant engraver do his thing all over my dinning hall. This was a mistake! What once was an easy to discern, finely smoothed wall is now a jumble of crazy symbols! It looks worse than when i had boulders laying around everywhere! It looks like my furniture stockpile barfed all over the place! There carving of beds and all which look....exactly like actual beds! I will have to kill all engravers when they arrive from now on. This feature SUCKS!

</rant>

hehe

You know you can hide engravings right? It's in the "d" menu, and you can make it default in init.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 11:06:21 am »

Engraved walls dont look too bad if you toggle detailed engravings off for them.

Engraved floors suck with either display, but you can designate a stockpile over the top of them. If the stockpile doesnt accept any object types, then you just wind up with '='s representing engraved floors, which looks ok.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:13:08 am »

these should be off by default if you ask me. WHo would want to see that?
I got nothing

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:18:24 am »

I engrave only special walls, and do so in an annual pattern, to represent the history of my fortress.  Thus, everything looks nice, and I actually want all the engravings to show up like that.  It doesn't make sense to me (aside from the value-raising perspective) to engrave everything everywhere, or even anything close to everywhere.

Just my own play-style, though.  I could see how other styles of play could be justified, and could produce ugliness.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:26:21 am »

Go into init.txt and find the "Engravings_Start_Obscured" tag, and change it to yes.  That name might be slightly off, but it's not hard to find.

Now they start off hidden.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:15:34 pm »

Me.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

Hi!

I am also with those who want to have the engravings visible and I have grown used to the somewhat unusual appearance.

My approach is somewhat different though: I try to have every floor and wall which will not change anymore engraved - dining halls, bed rooms, barracks, workshops, corridors, stock pile rooms, ... Besides boosting dwarven morale, this also increases the odds of seeing an interesting engraving (like a reference to a historic event).

And this second aspect is also the reason why I want the engravings visible: If I see another cloud or another plump helmet, I know I don't want to look at that engraving, but if there is an 'S' or 'U' or 'D', I will make sure to check, especially if I had an interesting one before.

So, there are different opinions on this, and as others have pointed out, this is a feature you can easily activate and de-activate via the init file.

Deathworks

Aaron5367

• Bay Watcher
  • [X] Chasm All Animals
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aaron5367.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:31 pm »

I'll also vouch for engravings. I have them enabled, and they don't bother me. I believe the floors are a lighter shade of gray than the walls, and over all, I don't notice it.

... Until blood gets on a dwarf engraving and I try to figure out why I can't select this dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 02:16:26 pm »

I will only engrave walls, never the floor.  It just irritates me too much, even with the engraving display off. 

I like putting one or two engravings in certain rooms, like a sort of painting.  If you've got a legendary engraver from all the smoothing (everything must be smoothed!  My will is law!) then that one engraving will be enough to look at for most dwarves.  Otherwise, I'll use furniture and size to boost a room's value.  Mass-engraving just doesn't sit well with me.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 02:55:12 pm »

I like engravings, in moderation.  I prefer floor engravings to walls, because I like the clean lines of a smooth but not yet engraved wall.

...and like Aaron is saying, I made the mistake of engraving the floor of an arena and wondering "what the hell is that child doing in there with all the goblins!"  :)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 03:18:33 pm »

I tend to engrave walls and floors in selected rooms (noble's rooms, meeting areas, dining rooms, tombs) but then toggle the display off for the floor engravings since those are so distracting.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 04:02:47 pm »

I do that as well.  Engravings add a bit to your fort's wealth value and are an easy way to boost the rating of a resident worthless jackass's noble's room.  My biggest problem handling them is telling the difference between floor and wall, which is fixed by hiding the floor engravings.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 04:05:37 pm »

Hi!

The difference between floor and wall is handled via color shades. One is darker than the other, provided both are the same material. Once you have an entire screen full of engraved tiles, you really get used to it and it isn't a problem anymore :) :) :)

Deathworks
Pages: [1] 2