Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100015 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1410 on: August 10, 2009, 12:09:50 pm »

They are arrogant and so will attempt world domination, and any number of other illegal activities that they can probably easily just pay the fine for...
This has to be the most incredibly silly thing I've heard from the "Spore-should-be-destroyed" side.  (my first thought was that this was a joke, but then I remembered that it was posted by a spore-loather on a spore thread)

Anyway, people knew about SecuRom.  It was, if I'm not mistaken, even on the front of the package.  If not, I am still certain I knew about it before getting the game.  The computer it is installed on is the computer my family uses for taxes.  So far, there hasn't been any inexplicable loss of money to EA, so I think it's safe to say that it's my family's computer and not EA's, and that they are not trying to dominate the world nor anything else illegal.

I think it's also a bad idea to go making assumptions about the maliciousness of a program you have never used.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:28:04 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:01 pm »

They are arrogant and so will attempt world domination, and any number of other illegal activities that they can probably easily just pay the fine for...
Yeah, I see what you mean.  I mean, back in 1945, when they caught the people responsible for attempting world domination, they just gave them a slap on the wrist, didn't they?  They didn't, I dunno, hang all their remaining members, did they?

Seriously, this is ridiculous.  EA don't commit illegal actions.  Sure, they're a sucky video game company.  But they're not malicious, and you haven't given me any good reason why they are.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 10, 2009, 03:44:04 pm »

Boyz, I think we be getting trolled.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 10, 2009, 03:45:23 pm »

I wouldn't of said that last line if i knew this was gonna happen.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 10, 2009, 03:46:51 pm »

In the abscence of any serious  suggestions, I was forced to conclude that was what you meant...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 10, 2009, 04:28:53 pm »

I wouldn't of said that last line if i knew this was gonna happen.
It's the first joke I've heard from someone bashing spore in a discussion about spore & EA.

And no, they have done nothing illegal.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 10, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »

Now it's my turn to think your joking.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 10, 2009, 04:44:40 pm »

Now it's my turn to think your joking.
You keep saying they have done all sorts of things; made a program that interferes with others, kept said program covered up, etc., yet you avoid backing up these accusations.  Such accusations are claims of illegal activity on EA's part.
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 10, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »

But did you really think i wasn't joking about world domination?

Well i don't want to bother looking up articles just so i can rub it in peoples faces. If you don't belive me then look them up on google or try them yourself. it's not hard to test programs on computers with and without SecuRom, and the several lawsuits made against EA for not having notice about SecuRom in the EULA is more then proof. You can even read the EULA yourself.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 10, 2009, 04:56:16 pm »

it's not hard to test programs on computers with and without SecuRom, and the several lawsuits made against EA for not having notice about SecuRom in the EULA is more then proof. You can even read the EULA yourself.
Okay.  I knew about SecuRom before Spore even came out.  So I'm thinking that's BS.  Either that, or there were some really idiotic people in the courtroom.  Also, you should know what to look for, so you can probably find the article much more easily than those of us who have not seen it.  Either you can spend less than a minute giving a link, or a lot more people than just you can spend several minutes trying to find it with Google.  Think about that for a second.

Oh yes, and lawsuits don't exactly deal with broken laws.  They deal with torts, in this case likely an unintentional tort.  There is no case unless the plaintiff so chooses, so there can be no criminal.  The government is completely uninvolved until the plaintiff sues, and even then they merely provide the court system and enforce the end result.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:02:57 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 10, 2009, 05:05:31 pm »

Ok, I'm pretty sure you have the EULA, so read it, and please bold where it says it will install SecuRom that cant be removed with the game......Or at all for that matter.

and here... http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=16 (rubs in face)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 10, 2009, 05:20:34 pm »

You can remove the damn thing.  They made a tool for that, remember?

Friday, 01 August 2008 03:42

On a site called "Reclaim your game".  If EA are planning world domination, why is a niche site the only people who apparently seem to know.

There’s a famous video on YouTube where a Gamer who owns a large number of games, shows how Securom won’t let him play a game because he’s got two cd/dvd drives on his PC.
Ok then.  So they resort to anecdotal evidence which conveniently can't actually be replicated?

We believe this explanation goes a long way to potentially clear up why we've had so many drives crash since the introduction of Securom to the Sims games.
Or maybe it's just because the games crash a lot.  Is this not also a possibility?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 10, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »

Looked up the SecuRom removal tool, doesn't seem to work for spore. there are many different SecuRoms after all and spore is one of the most draconinian, people have even said that its the same one as the court ruled rootkit SecuRom that sony made, just for a music video instead of a game.

Reclaim your game isn't niche, I recall finding tons of stuff about games by searching thru google.

You may not be able to replicate it, but someone willing to prove a point and a test computer can.

Not the game, the drive. I'ts something outside the games that's causing it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 10, 2009, 08:19:34 pm »

This thread isn't about sharing your spore moments, it is a notice that spore is coming out. The complaints about securom started on the first page. They weren't hanged for trying to take over the world, it was for war crimes, it isn't what they did but how they did it. Just because EA isn't up to anything nefarious doesn't mean that people can't find security flaws in securom and us it to do some intensely unpleasant things to your computer. Spore is a bad game, it is too repetitive to enjoy without trying to win, too grindy to enjoy trying to win, and too simple to for any individual component to worthwhile. The only redeeming features are a decent worm-clone and creature studio, both of which are too limited.

If you want a thread to share creatures and discuss your favourite moments then I suggest starting a new one and being explicit about the title, the fact is that people ARE discussing spore here, just not the gameplay...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 10, 2009, 10:28:32 pm »

Hell yeah!
Spore (NDS/PC) Goes Gold!

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=54782

Begin your odyssey at the dawn of life as a simple microbe just trying to survive, then evolve the creature from its microscopic origins into an intelligent, tool-using race, becoming a global civilization and choose whether to hunt or forage, attack or trade.

Spore will be available on PC Sept. 5 in Europe and Sept. 7 in North America and Asia Pacific. The NDS version will also be available on Sept. 7, 2008.

[PS. Ive started a new thread for Spore, since the one and only Spore topic was in the various nonsense subforum, and it was quite old.]
It's not about making the same complaints everyone made a thousand times already, either.  In fact, after this first post I think it was just general spore.    Now it's been a year and there are people still talking about the same thing (OMG SPORE BAD!!!).

Oh, and Micro, the de-authorization tool is on the spore website.  Mind you, I'm not sure whether or not it uninstalls spore as well since I have yet to see a reason to use it myself. 

But then, it doesn't matter since from what I've seen there hasn't been definitive, replicable evidence that SecuRom is malicious.  It largely seems like assumptions based on a few special cases to me.  My computer has had it since Spore came out in America, and it's doing just fine, and I can play all my games.  Basically, they seem to be using SecuRom and Spore as an outlet for their rage over something unrelated to the two (though naturally it would be disappointment with those two that causes them to use them as an outlet).
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97