Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100050 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1395 on: August 09, 2009, 01:51:43 am »

Well, that would be if yu actually went to the effort of comprmising the program, if you were just sharing it around with all your friends recreationally then you could share it with 5 friends instead of 2...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 09, 2009, 06:15:19 am »

Incidentally, what damage does the DRM do to your system?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 09, 2009, 07:36:45 am »

I personally haven't done any research on the point, but it sound like a security risk and a potential compatibility nightmare, so that if you install the right piece of software in the wrong way or happen to be the target of someone malicious then it could melt your harddrive... I don't know what the risks are but I am confident that it is a dangerous way to do things, completely fails to perform its function, and is a massive inconvenience to the customer...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 09, 2009, 07:37:52 am »

I personally haven't done any research on the point, but it sound like a security risk and a potential compatibility nightmare, so that if you install the right piece of software in the wrong way or happen to be the target of someone malicious then it could melt your harddrive... I don't know what the risks are but I am confident that it is a dangerous way to do things, completely fails to perform its function, and is a massive inconvenience to the customer...
How is it a security risk?  In what way could it be compromised?  Are there any examples of this actually happening?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 09, 2009, 09:21:46 am »

Well, that would be if yu actually went to the effort of comprmising the program, if you were just sharing it around with all your friends recreationally then you could share it with 5 friends instead of 2...
Doesn't work. Two people playing from a game installed from the same disk at the same time causes issues.  It's just like trying to use the same CD key for two different people's Starcraft: Battlenet stuff.  Poof!  Can't play anymore.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 09, 2009, 01:00:22 pm »

How is it a security risk?  In what way could it be compromised?  Are there any examples of this actually happening?

It's not exactly malicious. It installs itself to keep track of how many downloads have been used and stays in the system even after said software has been deleted. It doesn't cause any massive security holes unless the DRM was specifically designed to do so and even then the only one with access to that hole would be the company using that specific DRM.

As for the complaints of crashing/bricking computers, I've never seen anyone actually prove it was a DRM. Most of the time it's either something stupid on the consumer's part or just an actual virus and or trojan.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 09, 2009, 06:54:17 pm »

But it causes some technical issiues with other programs, people didn't know it was on there, it has more control then the administrator, and is nearly impossible to remove....i think someone figured out a way to move it and it's on the net somewhere, but im not sure about it. Ring-0 is someplace thats hard to get to.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 09, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »

But it causes some technical issiues with other programs, people didn't know it was on there, it has more control then the administrator, and is nearly impossible to remove....i think someone figured out a way to move it and it's on the net somewhere, but im not sure about it. Ring-0 is someplace thats hard to get to.
People didn't know it was on there... but if it's not malicious, why does it matter?  I don't know the individual files and folders in a game I buy.  And which programmes does it interfere with?

And how does it have more control than the administrator?  It does basically nothing.  You can use EA's DRM removal tool to remove it, I believe.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 09, 2009, 08:19:47 pm »

I don't know, never used it. SecuRom is probably still on my computer. The thing is no company should put a program on your computer without telling you its going on AND not give you a way to remove it.

If causing some technical difficulties with certian programs while having no easy way of removing isn't malicious enough, then its probably becaus eof the potential to be malicious. It is installed on ring-0 of your computer, meaning your computer is now EA's.....Yes it sounds ridiculous but thats what one world wide patch could do.

Maybe they are planning world domination or something.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 09, 2009, 08:35:03 pm »

i'm no computer expert. the only ring 0 i know of is ring 0 of haven and hearth.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 09, 2009, 09:45:48 pm »

I believe that ring 0 is a section of the hard disk that is reserved for information that is vital to the functioning of the hard disk, it really shouldn't be written to outside of a reformat, disk operating system installation, and file system changes.
Read the First Post!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 10, 2009, 06:10:55 am »

I don't know, never used it. SecuRom is probably still on my computer. The thing is no company should put a program on your computer without telling you its going on AND not give you a way to remove it.

If causing some technical difficulties with certian programs while having no easy way of removing isn't malicious enough, then its probably becaus eof the potential to be malicious. It is installed on ring-0 of your computer, meaning your computer is now EA's.....Yes it sounds ridiculous but thats what one world wide patch could do.

Maybe they are planning world domination or something.
EA are ruthless and profit driven.  We know that.  So why the hell would they have their company disbanded and made illegal by doing something like that?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 10, 2009, 07:27:48 am »

Because you left out arrogant...
Read the First Post!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 10, 2009, 07:29:11 am »

Because you left out arrogant...
Ok, so they're so arrogant they'd try to destroy their company?  What?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 10, 2009, 08:02:47 am »

They are arrogant and so will attempt world domination, and any number of other illegal activities that they can probably easily just pay the fine for...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 97