Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100019 times)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1365 on: August 07, 2009, 08:51:18 am »

Yes just like people have been doing for years and for even longer with books and music and movies. Why should games be any different in that respect?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #1366 on: August 07, 2009, 01:10:21 pm »

I should probably get Galactic Adventures at some point.

And while it was The Most Pirated Game Ever it was also one of the most sold games ever.  Even with pirating it still stayed way up in the chart for months.  The DRM allows you to play without a disk as it means they know you aren't just gonna share it around.  If there's no DRM on a game which doesn't require a disk to play, you could just share it around with all your friends, hell, everyone in your whole neighborhood.

I still can do that even with SecuROM in the game.

Hell the whole copy protection thing is a piece of shit because there are numerous ways to get around it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 07, 2009, 02:52:16 pm »

Yes the DRM doesn't do anything but prevent resell....Hence the many copies sold.  Some people were even forced to buy spore again because EA wouldn't give them their extra activation.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 07, 2009, 03:07:07 pm »

Yes the DRM doesn't do anything but prevent resell....Hence the many copies sold.  Some people were even forced to buy spore again because EA wouldn't give them their extra activation.
That's over now, they fixed it, remember?  We were just talking about that a page or two ago?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:20 pm »

I suppose if you accidentally uninstalled them 5 times then yes, you would have to buy a new copy.  Then again, if I accidentally ripped my ticket for the cinema in half, I would have to buy another one.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 07, 2009, 03:11:05 pm »

it was 3 times at first, and with millions of buyers something is bound to happen.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 07, 2009, 03:15:28 pm »

it was 3 times at first, and with millions of buyers something is bound to happen.
And they fixed it as well as it can be fixed already, ages ago.  Your argument looks weak when you bring up a point that went obsolete several months ago.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 07, 2009, 03:21:01 pm »

Yes, and with millions of buyers some people are going to accidentally rip up their tickets to the cinema.  What's your point?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 07, 2009, 03:36:20 pm »

Yes, and with millions of buyers some people are going to accidentally rip up their tickets to the cinema.  What's your point?
The install limit is bad. Lets say you buy a lifetime ticket to the cinema. Then you go there 5 times, and then they say "We mean a different thing by lifetime."

Its a freaking rental!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 07, 2009, 03:37:55 pm »

Erm, you don't need to reinstall each time you play the game.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 07, 2009, 03:56:20 pm »

Erm, you don't need to reinstall each time you play the game.
You brought up the metaphor.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 07, 2009, 04:15:28 pm »

On the subject of Spore and demos, does anyone still remember how even the meta-demo thing called Creature Creator was better than Spore? It was the core, the central part of the whole game, and they managed to make it worse! Being a design kinda person, I actually like it more when you can stick four weak spikes or claws onto something, and have its attack actually be equal to four instead of one. Makes sense, you know? Same goes for legs and speed, though whether or not a three-legged creature is faster than a two-legged one is debatable. Had they at least left that bit in, I might not have been so negative about it. I might have even kept playing the thing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:22 pm »

I dunno, I guess they didn't want to drive you into putting five claws onto your creature to keep it competitive with others.  Might work if you had diminishing returns though (ie each new body part adding to the same statistic gives half of what the last one did).

You brought up the metaphor.
Well, no, the metaphor would run something more like "You rip up your ticket and tear up the receipt for it.  You can then no longer go to the cinema".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 07, 2009, 04:30:15 pm »

You rip up your ticket and tear up the receipt for it.  You can then no longer go to the cinema

Unless your already inside

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 07, 2009, 06:54:27 pm »

Already inside?

Anyway, Cerapa, again, obsolete complaint.  De-authorization tool.  Let's you uninstall Spore while restoring your install capacity.  No, not perfect, but you at least have infinite installs.  Come up with a better solution, though.  I doubt you will, seeing as how (the way the disc works) the only way to get the perfect system would have a horrible solution; recalling all the old discs.  Costly and time consuming on both parties.

I do agree somewhat with Sean; it's not something that made me angry or terribly upset, it's just one of those things I would have suggested they try to patch in or something.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:56:28 pm by LegoLord »
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 97