Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 99905 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1320 on: July 24, 2009, 09:32:42 am »

No it isn't. Else it wouldn't rise with stuff like bone plates tacked on. "Procedurally animating" in Spore is not a continuous process - it's done once, at most, as soon as you finalize your creature. Some variables are set, and from then on it's just inverse kinematics. Any half-decent modern game with ragdoll physics has to do much more processing with a high bodycount onscreen. And that's not taking stuff like actual on-the-fly procedural animation like that anim engine (Euphoria?) in Force Unleashed or GTA IV into account.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 24, 2009, 09:37:54 am »

On the contrary, tacking on more bone plates increases the size of the digital model.  Even though it may not move, it adds to the meter simply because there are more parts to the model, not simply the creature.  Those plates need to move with the part they're attached to.  If you will notice, the constantly moving parts from the cell stage add quite a bit to complexity.  I can never put as much on a creature with cell parts as I can on a creature with nothing but creature stage parts.

Not to mention that limit is shortened in the creature stage to allow room for outfits in later stages.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 05, 2009, 05:23:01 pm »

Anyone seen the trialer for Spore Hero?

http://www.spore.com/what/wii

It looks like oodles of fun, especially since it won't be criticized by people clinging to a 2005 demo video of an unfinished concept.
Shame that there probably won't be asymmetry  in this one. :( The asymmetry patch pretty much revived my interest in Spore.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 05, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »

Look at me, I'm belittling people's legitimate complaints because I don't share them.  That shows how manly I am.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 05, 2009, 06:01:38 pm »

And Ioric the professional flamer of games he dislikes has once again given someone a snarky insult thing, despite the person he insulted not referencing him AT ALL.

Seriously, Ioric, while your complaints about the game are valid, it does you no good to go insulting people for very little reason.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 05, 2009, 06:54:37 pm »

No, Yahtzee is a professional flamer of games he dislikes.  He gets paid for it.  I'm an amateur.  I don't get paid for it.  It'd be great if I could because I need a fricking job to help pay for my school and electricity and games, and I still haven't gotten around to donating to Toady! >:(

You win at irony though by failing to point out that I was giving someone a snarky insult thing as a direct retort to their own snarky insult thing which was in fact referencing me at all by referencing anyone who's ever brought up the 2005 spore demo as a reason why the current spore is a disappointment.

Was there some reason I'm not aware of that he couldn't have brought up this Spore Hero game without mocking people he disagrees with?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:58:41 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 05, 2009, 07:01:54 pm »

*looks back, facepalms*

Clearly, I am outclassed. You win this round due to my lack of logic, Ioric! BUT I WILL RETURN!

And you're right, there most likely is a way for him to reword it so it doesn't insult people.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 05, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »

Look at me, I'm belittling people's legitimate complaints because I don't share them.  That shows how manly I am.
Maybe people are belittling your legitimate complaints because they are Freakin'.  Tired. Of. Hearing. Them!

Dude, you should take your complaints to EA.  This thread is not a good place for that.  Here on this thread it does no good for anyone.  EA's employees probably won't see them.  So it would be better to just let us who enjoy the game talk about it in peace.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 05, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »

54 pages of nonsense. Record!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 05, 2009, 09:14:54 pm »

Was there some reason I'm not aware of that he couldn't have brought up this Spore Hero game without mocking people he disagrees with?

;D

There. Now I can honestly say I did not help this topic at all. My work here is done.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 05, 2009, 10:24:58 pm »

Maybe people are belittling your legitimate complaints because they are Freakin'.  Tired. Of. Hearing. Them!

Dude, you should take your complaints to EA.  This thread is not a good place for that.  Here on this thread it does no good for anyone.  EA's employees probably won't see them.  So it would be better to just let us who enjoy the game talk about it in peace.

Generally, if you're freaking tired of hearing something you shouldn't bring it up out of the blue for no reason. 

EA is a corporate entity.  Not a person.  It exists solely for the furthering of it's own profits.  Unless I could convince them that doing that my views would net them more profit, any argument I make would be meaningless.  The reason EA keeps making shit is because people buy it.

;D

There. Now I can honestly say I did not help this topic at all. My work here is done.

So you quoted me explaining that I was mocking someone for mocking someone.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:33:38 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 05, 2009, 11:35:29 pm »

Generally, if you're freaking tired of hearing something you shouldn't bring it up out of the blue for no reason. 

EA is a corporate entity.  Not a person.  It exists solely for the furthering of it's own profits.  Unless I could convince them that doing that my views would net them more profit, any argument I make would be meaningless.  The reason EA keeps making shit is because people buy it.
I didn't bring it up out of the blue.  You did.  Anyway, yes, EA would make more money if they were to please more customers, as more people would be willing to buy their games.  What they are actually doing, by ignoring customer complaints (as you claim they are), is committing suicide in the business sense.  Slowly and painfully.  So they probably aren't doing that. 

My guess is that very few of the people who have a problem with Spore are actually bringing their problems to EA - therefore you look like a negligible minority that would not be worth the expense of pleasing.  If EA is right about that, you should give up; there's no way it'll happen and no use in complaining (especially when, as previously noted, it's been almost a year since the offending action).  If EA is wrong, you should send your complaints to them instead of us.

And you must admit, most of the people who are upset about Spore seem to be people who heard about it long before it came out, got their hopes far higher than is generally safe (emotionally), and then bought it when it came out.  I used to hear that story a lot.
Just so I remember

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 06, 2009, 12:19:07 am »

Are you intentionally ignoring facts in an attempt to prove some point?  My comment that you first quoted was very clearly a response to Rhodan's comment directly above it about how Spore Hero will be fun because "it won't be criticized by people clinging to a 2005 video of an unfinished concept."  Let me quote that for you in case you somehow missed it and read my post completely out of context yet still somehow managed to attribute meaning to it.

Anyone seen the trialer for Spore Hero?

http://www.spore.com/what/wii

It looks like oodles of fun, especially since it won't be criticized by people clinging to a 2005 demo video of an unfinished concept.
Shame that there probably won't be asymmetry  in this one. :( The asymmetry patch pretty much revived my interest in Spore.

Then I said:

Then you said

Etc.

As I just said in my last post.  People keep buying their shit.  So obviously it's not unpopular, neither is fast food and reality television.  Popularity has very little to do with quality.  It's just common sense for an entity that exists solely to increase it's value to do the most likely thing to increase it's value.  Right now that's releasing derivative shit and hyping it to hell.  The kind of thing that passes for creativity at EA is:

"Hey!  Let's take Dante's Inferno, and make a God of War Clone out of it!"
"What's Dante's Inferno?  A Devil May Cry spin off?"
"No no, it's a book.  Bear with me. It's this story about a guy that goes through all the levels of hell looking for his wife and sees lot's of fucked up shit."
"Great, so he fights his way through hell looking for his wife. This story sounds bad ass!  Why hadn't I heard of this before?"
"Well the actual story doesn't involve Dante doing any fighting at all so you'd hate it, but ripping off a few things from the story like it's name would make a great God of War clone, and EA needs a God of War clone."

I can't speak for others, but I personally was someone who heard about Spore early on and was greatly impressed with it's original concept, then became greatly disappointed with the way it was suddenly changed to be just like everything else... I didn't even bother getting the game.  The change in hype warned me away.  It's a bit like the opposite of Sea Dogs 2 where they developed the game for years and then one day it got bought out my Disney and the name suddenly changed to Pirates of the Caribbean, and they removed one of the playable characters and added a few insignificant references to the movie and the fans were very confused and wondered what the heck happened to Sea Dogs 2 and whether it had been canceled or something.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:22:58 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:46 am »

We have a winner!
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 06, 2009, 03:37:51 am »

We have a winner!

That there gentlemen is called the downfall of the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 97