Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100013 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1275 on: June 30, 2009, 06:56:42 pm »

How did you get your home planet to have blue spice?  Intentionally lose your original?

rare species?
Spices.  Not species.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 30, 2009, 09:27:57 pm »

yeh but reaching the goal without going through the game isn't excatly fun.
By that point it felt like pointless grinding, unless there is some wondrous revelation that catapults the game into a new level, it just feels like the same thing over and over again. I don't play games out of a desire to perform an endless series of simple, repetitive tasks and get hassled constantly...

Your empire never changes, your enemies never change, there are only about 5 different missions, and they are all pretty similar. The movement between worlds is too slow for something that dull and repetitive. You can't explore, your empire is too needy, and it takes too long regardless. You can't empire build, your empire gets exponentially more needy, and there is no payoff. you can't develop your civilisation, aside from grinding your way to better tech there really isn't any avenue for it. The only remotely entertaining thing about empire mode after the first few badges is terraforming, but unless you like making collages with featureless shapes or trying to have fun with animal varieties while constantly being frustrated by a grinding-imposed cargo limit and getting to play a simple game of 'pin the tail on the donkey' with the atmosphere even that holds almost no entertainment value. I went to the centre of the galaxy trying to escape, turn out it was a trick, there is no escape, I should have gone in the other direction and floated through deep space until I ran out of air...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:28 pm »

I honestly would have prefered them just stopping at the creature phase and developing. I mean seriously, I didn't even need to eat one time with my last creature. Not a single time! It was just that damn social minigame over and over again!  >:(
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:55 am »

I honestly would have prefered them just stopping at the creature phase and developing. I mean seriously, I didn't even need to eat one time with my last creature. Not a single time! It was just that damn social minigame over and over again!  >:(

I'm not sure that developing is the word you're looking for.  I think the world you're looking for is more along the line of 'not crippled the @#@ game play so that the @#$@# EA marketers could still sell it to kids'...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 01, 2009, 12:32:04 pm »

Well once again that wouldn't be Spore that would be reserved for a sequel of EVO

Though they are making that game... For the Wii (and DS).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 01, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

yeh they should of developed it, they should of kept it as it was in the first place.

im surprised some nutjob hasnt make an assasination attempt on EA yet.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 01, 2009, 05:07:58 pm »

IT'S JUST A GAME.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 01, 2009, 05:09:45 pm »

thats why i said nutjob

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 01, 2009, 10:11:35 pm »

There are more people than games, and they killed a game first, just saying...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 23, 2009, 05:58:56 am »

There's a new patch out, for anyone interested.  With some major changes:

- Asymmetric Creatures.
- Ability to export creatures to 3D modeling software (Maya)
- Attack ratio of planets has been tweaked some more, as have various other balance thingies.
- Bug fixes, Adventures interface fixes, other fixes.

I'm happy with the asymmetric creations thing.  Can't wait to try it out.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 23, 2009, 06:03:02 am »

Hey, asymmetric does sound like a seriously good move... but not enough to get me to reinstall. The only thing that could do that would be a working economy/defense systems in space stage... Maybe one day?
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 23, 2009, 06:48:22 am »

The only thing that'd get me to reinstall would be nuking the creature creation principles and starting over. Creatures with custom attacks, speed dependant on something else than the best single foot they have, et cetera, et cetera. Asymmetric creatures is a tiny step in the right direction, but too tiny to spark my interest.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 23, 2009, 07:02:44 am »

You're thinking of Roboforge or similar, not Spore.

EA sadly decided halfway their production that their game should be about "Create anything you want and have it work" rather than "Create anything you want and hope it works well enough".  So I doubt you'll ever see those kind of changes in Spore.  Spore is a box of Play-Doh with some game elements tacked on, and it's designed to be that way.

It's better to just move on and wait for a new game that does revolve around designing creatures fit for survival.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 23, 2009, 07:26:37 am »

I'm thinking Robot Arena, actually. Specifically, Robot Arena 2. That, or Garry's Mod. :)

RoboForge is alright, but lacks a comprehensible interface, especially for robot construction, and has some illogical limits imposed here and there. It also disappointed me in that it wasn't completely freeform (there's no way to build your own chassis, and the existing ones differ only by weight allowance) and that you have to do a lot of needless tinkering to get your bot to fight an AI bot. But despite all that, it's a good "game". I've had some cool-looking gladiator designs done for it, Wolverine style.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 23, 2009, 07:28:45 am »

If you don't like spore, why do you keep up with this thread and clutter it?  Some of us actually want to talk about stuff like what we've made and things like that.

There's a new patch out, for anyone interested.  With some major changes:

- Asymmetric Creatures.
- Ability to export creatures to 3D modeling software (Maya)
- Attack ratio of planets has been tweaked some more, as have various other balance thingies.
- Bug fixes, Adventures interface fixes, other fixes.

I'm happy with the asymmetric creations thing.  Can't wait to try it out.
Is that for Galactic Adventures only, or does it work with vanilla Spore?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 97