Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100042 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1230 on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:36 pm »

Ohh my gosh!!! can we ever just get to the point where we talk about what we LIKE about Spore?

Honestly is anyone tired of complaining about it? This is just 100 pages of bashing EA and Spore. I hate World of Warcraft and think it is the scum of the gaming industry but even I would consider this excessive even for it.

Anyhow I bought Galactic Adventures and so far so good though they STARVE your Captain.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 25, 2009, 03:03:18 pm »

I liked the Uninstall button, it was awesome.

EDIT: And we still have 17 more pages to go.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:04:49 pm by Sergius »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 25, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »

I enjoyed the first couple of stages of Spore in the same way that I enjoyed EVO for the SNES.  Hey, I get to buy upgrades and stuff!  I never got farther, because I don't own it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 25, 2009, 03:21:18 pm »

Yeh. In EVO, at least, you had to pay to even downgrade yourself. In Spore, it's communism - everything is free.

edit: not meant what I said - not "free", but at least you don't lose your money whatever you do.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:26:45 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 25, 2009, 03:36:05 pm »

I really wouldn't have minded if they just dropped the second part of the game and focused more on the creature phase. Sure running a tribe is fun for first few villages but it just get boring after the third so takeover/alliance, same goes with the later stage.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 25, 2009, 06:19:26 pm »

I really wouldn't have minded if they just dropped the second part of the game and focused more on the creature phase. Sure running a tribe is fun for first few villages but it just get boring after the third so takeover/alliance, same goes with the later stage.
Originally it was supposed to be similar to the War Craft I-III and Star Craft genre.  It, like everything, got cut down.

Neonivek, what do you mean by starve?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 25, 2009, 11:01:28 pm »

Neonivek is like a Windows lover in a Mac forum, it's quite funny.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 26, 2009, 12:06:34 am »

Spore is not 1 game, it is 5 different games. The first one is a mildly interesting version of the old worm game. Nothing brilliant, but certainly entertaining for a while. The others are bad, they get progressively worse and start out pretty awful. Even the creature creator is bad, it specifically limits your ability to make a complex or extravagant creature, but it is very easy to make an incredibly dull creature that has the maximum capabilities. So it limits the fun and creative aspects, and has no challenge in the difficulty, it is the worst of all worlds. And of course, let's not forget that they manage to squeeze in the classic grinding for xp as you wander the island pointlessly searching for new parts and points, which almost never actually give you a new ability, they just make a slightly larger change when they affect a status bar if they do anything at all.

Stage 1(worm): interesting so long as you don't spend much time on it. Actually fun, this is me talking about what I like about it.

Stage 2(RPG): repetitive, pointless, no reward for creative or intelligent efforts. Carry over from stage 1 will probably be gone after a few minutes.

Stage 3(RTS): repetitive, obvious, a couple of abilities can carry over from stage 2 only flying is significant.

stage 4(RTS): tank rush... no carry over from previous stages

stage 5(RPG): You are the only intelligent being in the universe, too much micro, no scaling at all, no competition, waaaaaaaaaay too much grinding. no carry over from previous stages.

Spore is five different games, and there are much better games out there that do the same thing, with the possible exception of the first which is an all but dead genre. The only thing in its favour is that the games are connected, but the connections range from obsolete to nonexistent. Spore is a dud, sometimes people play duds, but don't think for a second that it is competitive... Oh, and the online sharing bit, which from my experience was used only just enough for people to share anatomically correct creatures, but not enough to avoid seeing the same few creature endlessly repeated...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 26, 2009, 01:12:00 am »

In its defence against the above post, the carry-over between phases in Spore is more existant than that. The path you choose through the first four stages defines your path in the space stage. But yeah, it's more or less just five disparate minigames that would be much better off being separate games.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 26, 2009, 02:48:18 am »

I liked the Uninstall button, it was awesome.

EDIT: And we still have 17 more pages to go.

actually the uninstall button sucked too, as it doesnt uninstall the rootkit DRM that came unannounced with the game that you cannot get rid of.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 26, 2009, 06:05:08 am »

In its defence against the above post, the carry-over between phases in Spore is more existant than that. The path you choose through the first four stages defines your path in the space stage. But yeah, it's more or less just five disparate minigames that would be much better off being separate games.

Yes, each stage gives you a minor bonus in the all the next stages but with the abilities it's just a button that you can win easily never even pressing or else you get unnoticeable bonuses.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:59:02 am by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 26, 2009, 12:44:13 pm »

But then it wouldn't really be Spore. It would just be one of the many other games Maxis made.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1242 on: June 26, 2009, 01:34:45 pm »

How's the expansion pack, anyway?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 26, 2009, 01:35:25 pm »

How's the expansion pack, anyway?

It is alright but the expected happened.

The community adventures are HORRIBLE! Well ok... The Maxis Adventures are often horrible as well (I hope I never have to deal with Adventure town ever again)

Though it is MUCH too early to tell
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:06:46 pm by Neonivek »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 26, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »

Ohh my gosh!!! can we ever just get to the point where we talk about what we LIKE about Spore?

Honestly is anyone tired of complaining about it? This is just 100 pages of bashing EA and Spore.

I agree. [In fact I've posted about the exact same stuff -what Neon has mentioned- a while ago...]  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 97