Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100069 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1215 on: June 25, 2009, 05:39:12 am »

I guess they removed all the fancy physics stuff to avoid people having too much trouble creating something both interesting and able to stand upright.  That and the animation generator probably only worked on 1% of the creatures they made.  The amount of work it would have to do with such physics would be enormous.  The only physics left is just some basic ragdolling for the tail and unused limbs.  Meh.
I suspect the Creature Creator they envisioned is just too advanced to create at the moment.  Any software capable of generating advanced, realistic and balanced walking animations would be immediately used for robotics instead of a silly game.

Except that in a computer simulation you have full control of every aspect of physics as well as the workings of the mechanism you're trying to simulate.  It's far easier to fine tune something to perfection, and  if one particular thing is too troublesome you can just ignore it so that the rest works out fine.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 25, 2009, 05:51:16 am »

Quote from: Rhodan on Today at 06:29:03 AM

I guess they removed all the fancy physics stuff to avoid people having too much trouble creating something both interesting and able to stand upright.  That and the animation generator probably only worked on 1% of the creatures they made.  The amount of work it would have to do with such physics would be enormous.  The only physics left is just some basic ragdolling for the tail and unused limbs.  Meh.
    I suspect the Creature Creator they envisioned is just too advanced to create at the moment.  Any software capable of generating advanced, realistic and balanced walking animations would be immediately used for robotics instead of a silly game.

Wrong.
I was following Spore for 3 years (Check my xspore.com account Register Date).

EA Simplified the game so that kids could use it - which is why everything is click-WIN in it.

EA then ripped about 75% of the features out of the game to resell as Expansion Packs.

Needless to say, EA is public enemy #1 in the Gaming World, and if it comes down to choosing between Maxis and EA being world leaders, 95% wil say Maxis. Or evne George Bush, they're that bad.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 25, 2009, 06:01:53 am »

if it comes down to choosing between Maxis and EA being world leaders, 95% wil say Maxis. Or evne George Bush, they're that bad.
Buy our new voting expansion pack! With new features like voting for someone other than EA!

Price:1500$

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 25, 2009, 08:52:26 am »

Well, if they plan on re-releasing features, eventually they'll have an expansion bundle-pack that'll have all the expansions for, oh, $20-30?  Maybe a bit more, depending on how many there are.  Bottom line is, it'll at least be cheaper than buying each expansion as they come out.

"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 25, 2009, 11:14:18 am »

Um, what was the challenge?  To ignore enough of the details about the Spore 2005 video that it could be seriously compared to PACMAN?  I wouldn't challenge someone to do that.  That's easy.  I've seen it done before with GTA3 and it was just as unimpressive.  Every single game that allows you to control a single character and requires you to walk around and fight things can easily be compared to PACMAN if you just ignore everything that makes it unlike PACMAN.

He actually compared the game to PACMAN! How can you dare argue that it's not like Pacman when the developer himself says it's Pacman?

He simplified the game. He told me it's Pacman. You expect me to not believe him?

The challenge was that you were supposed to watch this movie and love Spore 2005 and go into a rage against EA. I'm currently in a rage, but against this video.

agreed....how could you not mention the physics in the 2005 version???

You're telling me the reason that you liked this trailer was for the PHYSICS ENGINE? I don't play games to watch the awesome physics, I play games for the gameplay. What's the point of having a physics engine if you don't have an fun game?

Servant corps: The game is the freaking creating part! Why are you even talking about spore if you say that you arent interested in creating things yourself?

I don't know, how about guiding a creature through the evolutionary process, eventually leading a mega-space empire that can terraform planets and engage in diplomacy? That seems more interesting that "creature creation".
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:17:50 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 25, 2009, 11:24:18 am »

Servant corps: The game is the freaking creating part! Why are you even talking about spore if you say that you arent interested in creating things yourself?

I don't know, how about guiding a creature through the evolutionary process, eventually leading a mega-space empire that can terraform planets and engage in diplomacy? That seems more interesting that "creature creation".
How do you do that without having customizable creatures and stuff?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 25, 2009, 11:33:31 am »

I think he means he would rather spend more time using his creatures than in the creation screen. However, in spore, all it really is is a creation screen and there isn't a ton you can do with what you make.

Yeah, EA killed spore hard.  :-[
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 25, 2009, 12:35:06 pm »

Well, no ruined game is beyond salvageable.

Except things that are aimed at little girls.  Those are kind of centered around perpetuating sexism.
Just so I remember

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 25, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »

I wouldn't mind if Spore remained what it is in terms of general design - a game consisting of several consecutive minigames can be fun, even on an extreme scale like Wario Ware. However, what kills it the most is that the design does not matter. It could be better with ragdoll animations for creatures, it could be better with space combat and 4X-style interstellar wars. But it will all be for naught if a blob with one leg, one claw, and one mouth is better and stronger than a creature designed with a purpose in mind. Building design does not matter, vehicle design does not matter, spaceship design does not matter. It doesn't matter if the outfit of the entire species includes a four-inch thick steel bolt stuck in their hind end. It's a game about unintelligent design, downright "devolution".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 25, 2009, 12:59:11 pm »

"Well, no ruined game is beyond salvageable.

Except things that are aimed at little girls.  Those are kind of centered around perpetuating sexism."

My Little Pony From Hell?

Nancy Drew And The Aryan Nation?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:03:04 pm by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 25, 2009, 01:02:05 pm »

:o

I take that back.  One might actually be able to pull that off.
Just so I remember

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 25, 2009, 01:28:03 pm »

Needless to say, EA is public enemy #1 in the Gaming World, and if it comes down to choosing between Maxis and EA being world leaders, 95% wil say Maxis. Or evne George Bush, they're that bad.

Maybe that is true. Either way, EA probably doesn't give a sh*t. They make profit, and that is what matters.  ::)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 25, 2009, 01:39:11 pm »

Do want.  Give it sensibilities only -slightly- darker than Tim Burton...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 25, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »

Um, what was the challenge?  To ignore enough of the details about the Spore 2005 video that it could be seriously compared to PACMAN?  I wouldn't challenge someone to do that.  That's easy.  I've seen it done before with GTA3 and it was just as unimpressive.  Every single game that allows you to control a single character and requires you to walk around and fight things can easily be compared to PACMAN if you just ignore everything that makes it unlike PACMAN.

He actually compared the game to PACMAN! How can you dare argue that it's not like Pacman when the developer himself says it's Pacman?

He simplified the game. He told me it's Pacman. You expect me to not believe him?

The challenge was that you were supposed to watch this movie and love Spore 2005 and go into a rage against EA. I'm currently in a rage, but against this video.

agreed....how could you not mention the physics in the 2005 version???

You're telling me the reason that you liked this trailer was for the PHYSICS ENGINE? I don't play games to watch the awesome physics, I play games for the gameplay. What's the point of having a physics engine if you don't have an fun game?

the dev only compared the first stagfe, a 2D game where you can move in more then 4 directions while eating stuff pacman...even though you had weapons. the other phases were more like diablo as he said. 3D, a wide variety of creatures to fight and/or run away from (because the game puts in monsters stronger and weaker then you) you can fly if your on land and swim if your undwerwater. you have projectiles, you can make your creature learn by combining verbs such as eat + move = pull corpse....the only way its like pacman is that you move and eat stuff.

actually the reason i liked that game was because the cell stage seemed like freaking endles amounts of fun because with 3 million people making 6 billion different types of cells so i would never run out of unique things to fight in a 2D world. The water/land stage seemed awsome because i could once again go up against billions of playermade creatures all different and try to survive while growing (BASED ON PHYSICS). Tribal phase because it seemed there were a lot of things to teach you guys, but i would of liked to jump to the civ phase. which i liked because it looked like an RTS with customized machines against....once again....millions of vehicles in a never ending new experience. and then space stage..... looked freaking awsome since i could fly around the universe with (they litereally said this in another video) 2 million planets to explore and mess with. search for lost tech on a molten planet, send 50 species to one planet and see how they fair, make my own awsome planets with my own customized plants and animals and terraforming, and then blow everything up.

but what did EA do? well thankfully they kept the cell stage similiar but limited the shape of your creature to 1 blob or 2 blobs stuck together....maybe 3 if you wanted. and the player creatures were hardly ever put in, all i saw were maxis made creatures, maybe 2-4 player made ones....i wanted a freaking entirly new ecosystem everytime i played but nooooooooooooooo. Then the creature phase...learning = gone, other creatures attacking your nest = gone, any type of balance = gone, physics = gone. when i say balance i mean a small 1 foot high creature with 1 eye a leg and a beak could potentially kill a 50 foot tall blade weilding monster because the status are garbage.

tribal...not learning, you basically walk all your guys over and attack, or walk all your guys over and play simon says. 5 times....thats the phase

civ. well the worlds seem to have gotten smaller the city shaps dont change size when you zoom out and all you need to do is activate your super weapon or spam planes and you win. and the status are even worse with this one as its based on percentages. add one part, 100% in that category, making it equal to something with 50 parts and high detail and design into it, having only 40% 40% 20%.

space.............................................wow..........................pathetic

you get attacked every minute, and when you have more then 1 planet, you get attacked once for evey planet you have every minute. you can only have 9 types of plants and 6 types of creatures on each world, and since you cant edit plants all your planets are probably gonna look the same. your terraforming comes down to changing the color of the water or sky and making a mountian shaped like a flower, enemies can attack you in space but you cant attack them....hell i couldnt even get through the first freaking section of solar sytems due to all the flying back to my 8 planets, and im suppose to protect 100 planets? doesnt sound like you can conquer the galaxy anymore. O, and it seems the 30 turrets you have on your planet dont fire unless your there watching. you can make war planes too but they dont do anythign either. and as for the enemies....more maix creatures,a few player creatures, and apparently with the millions of races out there the game seems its a good idea to put in one race for 5 DIFFERENT CIVILIZATION! so im allies with the sporians, while fighting with other sporians, while being neutral with other sporians, while not knowing there are orobably 100 other spoarians through the galaxy. and considering they need ME to fly all the way to all their planets whenever they get attacked too, it just becomes an impossible game to play.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 25, 2009, 02:56:11 pm »

Robot Chicken had the Four Little Ponies of the Apocalypse.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 97