Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100073 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #1200 on: May 08, 2009, 06:59:20 am »

But won't because the game likes to have inhabitants that are as repetitive as its game-play...

Gah, my spellchecker doesn't like gameplay. game play, nameplate, gamekeeper, gameness, gamecock. I will give it a hyphen, but only because I am feeling pity for it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 08, 2009, 07:25:34 am »

If anyone's still playing the game, I launched the game for the first in ages and managed to gather together my 10 most creative or otherwise good creations in a sporecast called "The Best of SirLASDalot", so you can get my good creations without the trouble of buddying and getting all the trash Spore automatically puts out. Though the trash is clearly unavoidable as my Sporepedia has already 7 890 creations.

Nevertheless, here's two creatures that passed the filter. I proudly present to you, Mr Bobsled and Mr Crook.

Mr Bobsled even has a speed meter in his sled and Mr Crook walks in a delightfully shady manner.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:27:31 am by LASD »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 08, 2009, 05:05:33 pm »

Unfortunately, I probably won't be playing until the Galactic Adventures EP.  It adds in the stuff I was most hoping for when I first heard of Spore.  I had images of dragon people being beamed down to a planet and attacking buildings with flamethrowers.  Soon, this shall come true.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #1203 on: May 08, 2009, 06:37:35 pm »

I'm not playing until five expansion packs are released.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 08, 2009, 06:42:50 pm »

I am about to play again soon... My Username is Neonivek

Drop me a comment and Ill check your stuff out (I kinda got tired of going through comments after a while and reset them)

On a side note: I don't think there is going to be 5 expansion packs... Checking how long it took for the first expansion to come out... I am only guessing 3 expansions max.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:20:50 pm by Neonivek »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 08, 2009, 07:42:12 pm »

Checking how long it took for the first expansion to come out... I am only guessing 3 expansions max.
Actually, they're getting their first gameplay expansion out faster than Zoo Tycoon 2, and that had four expansions.  Spore could easily wind up having five.

That said, I'm too impatient to wait for five.  I might to buy the third until the fourth comes, but I don't know.  I didn't do that with Zoo Tycoon 2.  As far as parts packs are concerned, I have no idea.  I haven't bought cute&creepy yet.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 08, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »

Yeah but I never was really into the Zoo Tycoon expansions anyhow since they never really sold how it really expanded gameplay. (Dinosaurs was pretty much the only one I would have bought)

A lot of them felt like the same animals with slightly different rules.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 09, 2009, 07:38:51 pm »

I have been waiting to buy Spore until the Galactic Adventures expansion came out because you can land on planets...that is until I found this little tidbit of information:

Features:

Beaming your creature directly down from the UFO
Adventure creator – where you can create your whole world and share it over the sporepedia for others to play.
Captain Editor – Make your captains with over 30 new parts to battle it out in adventures made by Maxis or the community.
Planet editor - This is a essential aspect of the adventure creator, where you can fully customize the planet your adventure will take place.
Players will be able to choose which flora and fauna they want on a planet using the Adventure creator.
When a player wins a mission with a number of points higher than another player has ever scored on that mission,they are rewarded with special badges which are shown on the players MySpore page. Badges can be lost when another player beats your record.
Modify the landscape with monuments and buildings and over 1500 Maxis made objects, including grenades, exploding barrels and more.
32 new creature accessory rewards to use with your captain, some of these are: Energy Blade, Jump Jet , Acrobat Dance, Hover, Stunning Charm and many more, all of these will have new abilities.
Player’s captains and missions will be shown on their MySpore pages along with information on how they played recent missions. It lists how many missions were won or lost,points earned on missions,rewards the player has earned for reaching a certain score before completing a mission and captain and mission stats.
Players can jump onto a moving vehicle and ride it, however you cannot drive the vehicle.
Players will be able to beam down only to mission planets.
New Achievements - Over 50 new achievements are coming with the expansion pack, but it is yet unknown what they are.
Players will be able to add allied creatures from a friendly empire as posse members.
Maxis-created adventures.

It's a little bit telling that they would bury the disclaimer about landing on planets at the very bottom of the feature list.

That little statement has pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me ever buying Spore.  Alas, perhaps I will buy it when the Super Double Deluxe version (aka Version 1.0) comes out in the bargain bin in 5 years.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: June 25, 2009, 01:51:32 am »

I'm taking a preliminary look a the Spore Gameplay trailer, the one in 2005. First thoughts.

Spoiler: "First Thought" (click to show/hide)

Overall. I guess I wasn't that impressed. Then again, I spent $50 to play a game where I get to act as a bus running around and transporting goods from Point A to Point B in order to get "worshippers". Changing the terrain of an area for giggles seem interesting, but why can't you just have the Space Stage by...itself? Why the Spore, Sea, Creature, Tribal, City, and Civilization stages? What's the point of those stages anyway, other than being mini-games? I don't want to spend a long time playing Pac-Man after all. And the only really memorable and enjoyable thing in those stages was the "war dance", but, do they even use the spears to fight? Or do they just send tanks and jets instead and the spears are ceromonial?

At least now I got the guts to stand up against Ioric Kittencuddler. So there you have it, Ioric Kittencuddler. I took your challenge. And I'm still not in love with Spore 2005.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:56:50 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 25, 2009, 01:59:18 am »

Um, what was the challenge?  To ignore enough of the details about the Spore 2005 video that it could be seriously compared to PACMAN?  I wouldn't challenge someone to do that.  That's easy.  I've seen it done before with GTA3 and it was just as unimpressive.  Every single game that allows you to control a single character and requires you to walk around and fight things can easily be compared to PACMAN if you just ignore everything that makes it unlike PACMAN.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:04:04 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 25, 2009, 03:09:49 am »

agreed....how could you not mention the physics in the 2005 version??? to have to create a creature based on his joins and mass distrubution and how it effects his survival is insanly amazing.....too bad EA murdered it. then skinned it, then stripped all the meat off of it and used half of the bones to make a money holder

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 25, 2009, 03:43:17 am »

agreed....how could you not mention the physics in the 2005 version??? to have to create a creature based on his joins and mass distrubution and how it effects his survival is insanly amazing.....too bad EA murdered it. then skinned it, then stripped all the meat off of it and used half of the bones to make a money holder

I wonder if they have really created those physics and evolution code, and where are those code now...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 25, 2009, 04:13:25 am »

Servant corps: The game is the freaking creating part! Why are you even talking about spore if you say that you arent interested in creating things yourself?

I used to hype for spore. I was hoping that it would actually matter if you put all the legs in the back and it would fall over. The only fun part was tidepool in my opinion sine the placement of spikes actually mattered.

I think they thought that the physics and stuff were too hard/the game could sell as much without em.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 25, 2009, 04:47:10 am »

Yeh. I prefer Robot Arena 2. Now THERE you have some goddam powerful creature creator!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 25, 2009, 05:29:03 am »

I guess they removed all the fancy physics stuff to avoid people having too much trouble creating something both interesting and able to stand upright.  That and the animation generator probably only worked on 1% of the creatures they made.  The amount of work it would have to do with such physics would be enormous.  The only physics left is just some basic ragdolling for the tail and unused limbs.  Meh.
I suspect the Creature Creator they envisioned is just too advanced to create at the moment.  Any software capable of generating advanced, realistic and balanced walking animations would be immediately used for robotics instead of a silly game.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 97