Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100276 times)

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Spore
« Reply #930 on: January 09, 2009, 03:51:57 pm »

I too hate business and money.

Damn that money! I hate it so...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 09, 2009, 03:59:16 pm »

LOL.

yeah!
I wish I had some more though...

To react to the reply to my last post:
I've seen a 'cute and scary monster' creature bits expansion in a mediastore.
Also, the only patches I've seen were some 3rd party hacks to cut down on space-age 'emergencies'.
I haven't been actively looking for any since juli though, so you may be right.

PM me when they release a patch that makes the game moddable so that I can CREATE MY OWN CONTENT and tweak gameplay away from 1stPS style into SimEarth. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 09, 2009, 05:29:37 pm »

There's various mods out there that tweak difficulty, such as longer creature stage, better space economy and stuff.
I also saw a no-symmetry mod around.  And a way to create new (not yet animated) creature parts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 09, 2009, 05:38:55 pm »

There's various mods out there that tweak difficulty, such as longer creature stage, better space economy and stuff.
I also saw a no-symmetry mod around.  And a way to create new (not yet animated) creature parts.

Yeah I am still waiting on those tons of Mods people claimed the modding community would do. Between Gore mods, Dragons flying to other planet mods, and Ripping limbs off mods.

Current count of Mods of noted description made: 0

So as you can guess... I am so far correct... People put WAAAAAAAAAY too much faith in the modding community.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 09, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »

It either shows how bad the game is - that there isn't enough incentive to even TRY to make it better, or it shows how money-grubbing the EA is, going to such great lengths to make a game nonmoddable, only so they could make more money on content-only updates. If the community is willing, there is little you can do to stop it from hacking into the game's resources. I can't name many instances, but I think GTA, Total Annihilation, Mechwarrior 4, Carmageddon, and Need for Speed (not that I like the latter very much) are good examples of good games being modded without cooperation from the creators.

The problem with Spore is that its problems are deep in the code. Even if modmakers were to start churning out parts of their own, they wouldn't overcome the inherently stupid design of the game - the parts would not matter, no matter what stats they have or how they look. There's no point in the game, simple as that. Even something like Flatspace has a better gameplay hook. Ultimately, you're not doing anything in Spore. It doesn't matter what creatures you make, because they only need like three parts, and it doesn't matter beyond creature stage. The tribal stage hardly matters in the next stage, the city stage hardly matters in the space stage...  yes, there's the overall change of direction that carries over, but ultimately you're doing the same thing in every case. That's the problem of Spore, and no mods can fix that unless an Assembly God can take it apart and reshuffle it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 09, 2009, 06:16:29 pm »

Total Annihiliation isn't a good example it was very moddable.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #936 on: January 09, 2009, 10:30:59 pm »

In fact, the Core Contingency expansion came with a map editor. Little confusing, but pretty good nonetheless.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:24 am »

Total Annihilation was moddable, but it wasn't supposed to be from the get-go. Eventually the fans crafted their own tools for modelling and scripting, and only then the modding scene took off. I don't think the developers contributed anything to that. Though they did in case of Supreme Commander, using their file specs even I was able to make import/export scripts for Lightwave that worked.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 10, 2009, 10:09:03 am »

Yeah I am still waiting on those tons of Mods people claimed the modding community would do. Between Gore mods, Dragons flying to other planet mods, and Ripping limbs off mods.

Current count of Mods of noted description made: 0

So as you can guess... I am so far correct... People put WAAAAAAAAAY too much faith in the modding community.

Hm those mods will be fun. Is there a decent Spore site/forum for modders?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 10, 2009, 10:46:11 am »

Probably not Tormy

But there are plenty of sites if you want innaccurate information on SecuRom... I think there is one that says that SecuRom replicates itself on your computer.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 10, 2009, 12:57:19 pm »

Ah not this Securom thingy again... :D
Anyway, I thought that Spore will support hardcore modding, but it looks like that I was wrong...

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 10, 2009, 09:50:00 pm »

Gotta wonder how many half-decent modders even attempted to improve that mess. I know I wouldn't, had I the skill to make mods more indepth than Homeworld's Ion Cannon armed scouts.

Agree fully with Sean Mirrsen
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 10, 2009, 10:53:30 pm »

no amount of mods can fix spore.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:49 am »

No amount of useless trolling can fix you.
See?
People seriously, stop with the random useless trolling.
At least provide valid reasoning...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 11, 2009, 02:41:51 am »

No amount of useless trolling can fix you.
See?
People seriously, stop with the random useless trolling.
At least provide valid reasoning...
[/quote]

Go read the last 63 pages or just stop being such a blatant fanboy.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 97