Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100288 times)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: Spore
« Reply #885 on: November 01, 2008, 02:53:54 am »

EA is behaving like a monopolist
regarding pricing
and concerning witholding goods and releasing it by dribblets.

Wrong.   EA is acting like a capitalist, charging what they think they can get for it, and doing what they can to produce more product they feel people will buy.   You honestly expect anything different from a corporation?

Hey even I'd do it if I had the chance.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 01, 2008, 07:06:20 am »

they are buying up all the companies as soon as they make a game that is good and are charging more for lower quality games.....that sounds like a monopolist to me

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #887 on: November 01, 2008, 07:06:31 pm »

they are buying up all the companies as soon as they make a game that is good and are charging more for lower quality games.....that sounds like a monopolist to me

As I said: Even I'd do that.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 02, 2008, 12:12:51 am »

you would make spore like they did?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #889 on: November 02, 2008, 12:15:07 am »

Not if I was programming it.

Yes if I owned the company who was making it, and I wasn't planning on playing the games.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 02, 2008, 08:08:14 am »

I just played spore today for the first time. It's certainly not bad, but nothing special. It's like a typical arcade-MMORPG-strategy (only seen the game till the tribal era). I like the movements and stuff.

The epic scale kinda reminds me of Civilization, but Civ turned out to be very fun and addictive, while Spore is just... OK. I'm glad I didn't buy it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 02, 2008, 09:08:33 am »

Money>Good Games

If you have money, you can buy good games.
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 02, 2008, 09:15:33 am »

Definitely not. There is a huge potenital in games like Spore, since the idea behind the game is decent and unique. The problem is, that they failed to make a decent game. [Hell....the game is worse than average in "my book".]

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 02, 2008, 09:59:45 am »

Not if I was programming it.

Yes if I owned the company who was making it, and I wasn't planning on playing the games.
I'm glad you're not coding DF then. :p
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:48:24 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #894 on: November 02, 2008, 11:26:53 am »

What you want Dwarf Fortress to be crappy?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 02, 2008, 09:29:07 pm »

Well, that's the path EA is following I guess. It's not a bad game, though. I think it's nice because it appeals to people who are probably playing their first computer game. Then after enough experience, those people will start playing games like DF. EA makes money, we get more buddies, it's win-win for all of us, except for the people who expected Spore to be a masterpiece.

What I do how is that Will Wright decides to work on Black and White 3 instead and merge the coolness of the original Spore idea with Black and White :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #896 on: November 02, 2008, 09:46:28 pm »

Hrm. A Peter Molyneux-Will Wright hybrid game could be pretty kewl. I bet that if the two stood within twelve feet of one another for too long they might explode, though, so perhaps that's an avenue best left unexplored. You just can't have that much game developer in one room, or they're legally obligated to either cease existing or fight one another to the death.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 03, 2008, 10:21:56 am »

Hrm. A Peter Molyneux-Will Wright hybrid game could be pretty kewl.

I am not sure about that. Will Wright's games for example are aiming a specific player group [take a look at spore or the Sims], and I am not in that group heh.  :)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:55 am »

Not Peter Molyneux.

Will Wright and Sid Meier would be better making a game together.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 03, 2008, 11:17:04 am »

Well, that's the path EA is following I guess. It's not a bad game, though. I think it's nice because it appeals to people who are probably playing their first computer game. Then after enough experience, those people will start playing games like DF. EA makes money, we get more buddies, it's win-win for all of us, except for the people who expected Spore to be a masterpiece.

What I do how is that Will Wright decides to work on Black and White 3 instead and merge the coolness of the original Spore idea with Black and White :P

i would be fine with the way spore was made if they

1. didnt say it was gonna have awsome physics and gameplay for 5 years

2. showed some gameplay of the dumbed down version. god the editor doesnt even matter anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 97