Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100303 times)

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #870 on: October 22, 2008, 07:05:50 pm »

What happened to Spore, If anyone is interested
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 22, 2008, 10:39:18 pm »

idiots......probably just an EA cover up for their expansions but why would they change spore when all the hype came from those old demos? and then they didnt say anything about the changes, practically false advertisement

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #872 on: October 22, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »

Well I find it more likely than EA is the ultimate corrupter. (Even though it is...)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 22, 2008, 11:25:35 pm »

You just are forgetting the part where they suck the souls from the old and eat the livers of the young (giving them really bad yellow fever)

Anyway, EA just shows what happens when a videogame company actually gets TOO large. What are you going to do? Half the games that are out are practically owned by EA.

It shows what would have happened if the Xbox won the Console war. (I don't hate Microsoft... I just don't think it is very good with a monopoly)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 23, 2008, 04:17:45 am »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 30, 2008, 07:06:40 pm »

Fairly sure the cube planets were given to us freely in the last patch.

What the [sexual expletive] would I want stupid cube planets?!

That is the same as selling me an expansion to populous and it only contains a skinpack to make buildings into candy or electronic bits...

I want CONTENT not more empty SKINs!

F WW, F Maxis and DP & rape EA!

edit: sorry. I had to add this fire to this troll-post, it seemed empty without it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:08:23 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 30, 2008, 08:54:35 pm »

What happened to Spore, If anyone is interested

Even if it isn't true, I still think someone should at least explain why the game changed as it did.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 30, 2008, 10:44:39 pm »

if EA releases expansion to make the game as it was....then you will know....and then EA will be burnt to the ground by angry player

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 31, 2008, 06:13:58 am »

Well basically Spore had such an overinflated production time that they were forced to drop most of their concepts.

After that, with the husk of Spore they had left, they chose to make it the way it is now possibly because of all the concepts they had to drop (In the DICE videos they even go as far as to explain that the Ragdoll physics were impossible to do)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 31, 2008, 07:55:38 am »

Electronics Arts cuts profit outlook, shares fall

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081030/bs_nm/us_electronicarts;_ylt=AqgQ0a5hpP7hzwWaHJk8bssjtBAF

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc (ERTS.O) slashed its full-year profit forecast due to slowing demand at retail stores and a delay in the latest "Harry Potter" video game, driving its stock down 14 percent.
EA, whose popular titles include "Rock Band", said on Thursday plans to cut about 6 percent of its workforce of 9,671, or about 580 jobs, in response to slowing sales, after posting a quarterly loss on par with Wall Street expectations.

The company cut its forecast for fiscal 2009 earnings per share excluding special items to a range of $1.00 and $1.40, from a previous range of $1.30 to $1.70. Analysts were expecting $1.45 per share, according to Reuters Estimates.
The forecast proves that even the video game market -- often thought of as "recession-proof" -- may fall victim to a global economic crisis that has forced many companies to scale back their outlook as consumers trim spending.
"We are not saying the sky is falling," Chief Executive John Riccitiello said in a conference call. "What we are bringing to the table is caution, a recognition that catalog (sales are) weaker, and a commitment to managing our cost...with the specter of a recession over our shoulder."

With the economy in mind, analysts questioned EA's adherence to its retail pricing plan, which calls for marquis games like "Madden NFL" to sell for $60 and special editions like the new "Rock Band" bundle, which includes accessories, can go for up to $200.
"For the rest of us that live in the real world, $60 is a lot of money," said Janco Partners analyst Mike Hickey. "The entertainment value is compelling, but it's still a large dollar purchase."

EA posted a net loss of $310 million, or 97 cents, compared with a loss of $195 million, or 62 cents per share, one year ago. Excluding special items, EA showed a loss of 6 cents per share, matching analysts expectations, according to Reuters Estimates.
Last month, EA said it would push the release of the "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" game from November 2008 to next summer, to coincide with a delay in the film of the same name by Warner Bros Pictures.
Chief Financial Officer Eric Brown, when discussing the lowered profit forecast, noted that EA had already paid for development costs for the "Harry Potter" game. He also blamed a "dramatic" strengthening of the dollar for the new outlook.
"We are facing some foreign exchange headwinds," he said in an interview, adding that EA was keeping intact its full-year revenue forecast of $5.0 billion to $5.3 billion.
The company said it would take a charge of about $10 million in the third quarter for the cost-cutting action, and as a result expects to save about $50 million annually.

Net revenue in the second quarter was $894 million, up about 39.7 percent from a year ago.
The company said sales were driven by its major franchises, including "Madden NFL" and new title "Spore."
"There's a lot of reasons to believe that the sector will hold up better than most, if not almost all others, as we move through a recession."
EA shares fell to $23.80 from their Nasdaq close of $27.73.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:37 pm »

Good.  60 dollars is ridiculous for a video game, no matter how good it is.  I don't spend more than 20 dollars on a video game if it's not something I know is going to be pants.
Shoes...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 31, 2008, 05:33:44 pm »

EA is behaving like a monopolist
regarding pricing
and concerning witholding goods and releasing it by dribblets.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 31, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

Good.  60 dollars is ridiculous for a video game, no matter how good it is.  I don't spend more than 20 dollars on a video game if it's not something I know is going to be pants.

I got mine for $30.  Little less than that.

Amazon = Whoo.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 31, 2008, 06:27:03 pm »

Agreed.  What's even more amazing is that I remember I used to pay $60.00 for NES and SNES games over 15 years ago on a lawn-mowing salary.  Counting inflation, that's even more money than it is today.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #884 on: November 01, 2008, 02:47:56 am »

EA is behaving like a monopolist
regarding pricing
and concerning witholding goods and releasing it by dribblets.

Wrong.   EA is acting like a capitalist, charging what they think they can get for it, and doing what they can to produce more product they feel people will buy.   You honestly expect anything different from a corporation?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 97