Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100348 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #825 on: October 19, 2008, 02:42:16 pm »

I don't remember the part where I am a flaming Fanboy... Unless not hating Spore uncontrollably counts. In which case I am

You're uncontrollably defending a game which has nothing to defend.

So basically, There is absolutely NO saving grace in Spore anywhere... That the game is so unconditionally horrible that any defense of the game or meer uttarance of it being anything other then horrible... Is uncontrollable, irrational, and overall unwarrented Fanboyism?

You sure you didn't play Spore that was made by Satan or something?

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 19, 2008, 02:42:58 pm »

So neonivek, you are like me.....
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 19, 2008, 02:48:19 pm »

So basically, There is absolutely NO saving grace in Spore anywhere... That the game is so unconditionally horrible that any defense of the game or meer uttarance of it being anything other then horrible... Is uncontrollable, irrational, and overall unwarrented Fanboyism?

I'm not the one being irrational, you are. Find me the one thing that makes spore into a not-horrible game.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 19, 2008, 02:53:16 pm »

I'm not the one being irrational, you are. Find me the one thing that makes spore into a not-horrible game.

For some reason I just find this hillarious.

I am not EXACTLY sure I want to post, if you under the impression that Spore is just downright horrible I am not exactly sure what would be an acceptable answer.

So I present to you: What would be viable evidence?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:55:07 pm by Neonivek »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 19, 2008, 02:56:55 pm »

Okay, as far as I know, Spore has a fucked up DRM scheme. I'm not willing to sacrifice the sanctity of my computer for a game that's been hailed as a big disappointment. Spore is dead to me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 19, 2008, 02:57:39 pm »

It's like anti-fanboyism.  Instead of thinking the game is the best game ever and has no flaws whatsoever, they act like it's the worst game ever and has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 19, 2008, 03:21:56 pm »

I know all of its redeeming qualities. They have largely been released as a separate game some time before Spore's release. That's ALL it has to offer, create&share. The fact that what you create has no impact on gameplay means that you can omit Spore entirely, and just get SCC, and a few older titles that will offer far superior gameplay. Spore has nothing beyond its editors and Sporepedia, and since I am hardly thrilled by the prospect of having an entire game that only has this as the purpose, I'll rather go buy Mount&Blade and make a mod for it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 19, 2008, 03:32:51 pm »

For some reason I just find this hillarious.

I am not EXACTLY sure I want to post, if you under the impression that Spore is just downright horrible I am not exactly sure what would be an acceptable answer.

So I present to you: What would be viable evidence?

Are you seriously trying to justify your loving of the game by unjustifying my hate? You're a poor argue if that's the case.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #833 on: October 19, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

I'm just gonna say that I had fun playing Spore until I ran out of things to do.   I think EA has established that they plan on using the game itself as a platform for content-packs and expansions and such, which while some may not agree with, I really have no problem with.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 19, 2008, 04:03:12 pm »

Lads, I think that we should should stop arguing about the same stuff [Spore is good / Spore sucks!], since it's leading nowhere anyway. This is a matter of subjective opinion afterall. So I say, just keep posting about the game itself. [news, questions etc.]

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 19, 2008, 04:55:20 pm »

I enjoyed cell phase for about a minute and creature phase until the last few 'levels'. I didn't enjoy any other part of the game, and when I came back to the game later I didn't enjoy anything playing as a peaceful herbivore race (having played as a violent warmonger race the first time through)

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 19, 2008, 05:53:48 pm »

The thing that annoyed me most was how extinction worked in the creature phase. I found a cluster of weak herbivores and started attacking one or two at a time from different species, then waiting and exploring so they could grow back. My third time through, I ate one out of ten and then they all floated upwards and vanished in the magic UFO space beam. I was like
:o
:o

There was no option for strategy, all you could do was go from one nest to another eating crap until you advanced to the tribal stage. That was pretty much the point where the game was ruined.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 19, 2008, 07:24:19 pm »

spore is gonna catch the eye of people who like the creators and scenery more then the gameplay, but the problem is, the game was better 3 years ago. they got rifd of the action verbs, the underwater stage, any type of gameplay requiring actual effort, removed the Physics!!! (the one thing i looked foward to, having creatures have their own physics and fighting each other) and the creators are useless in effecting gameplay. cell phase - only place where placement of parts matters. creature - doesn't matter. smack all the  things you can on it however you want and youve got yourself a winner. tribal - your custom creature is now useless, now you have no customization. city - creature has become completly useless. its stats dont effect the game. now you customize vehicals which use percentages. so slap one peice on and youve got yourself a machine that can win. building, their design doesnt even matter....more uselessness

space stage..........now the only thing that matters is your spaceship. whos parts dont effect anything...at all...ever. i could take on the grox with a flying pole

so you can see how horribly the creator has sunk.

im glad EA is getting sued for spore

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #838 on: October 19, 2008, 08:38:29 pm »

I agree, but that point has been rehashed over and over and over again and cannot be said any more eloquently than I did. Me. Because I'm better than you.

Still, there's no way we can punch anyone who buys the game in the back of the head, so there's not much point in whining about it.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #839 on: October 19, 2008, 08:41:26 pm »

What's EA getting sued for? False advertisement or something?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 97