Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100378 times)

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #810 on: October 19, 2008, 09:26:55 am »

I have to wonder, also, who's getting these figures on how many copies are pirated, and whence.
Presumably, the marketing department comes up with an optimistic estimate of sales figures, and subtracts the actual sales from the predicted sales to get the amount of copies they've 'lost to piracy'.

Pirates make an easy scapegoat for commercial failure and lack of innovation.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 19, 2008, 11:04:59 am »

You know that something is very wrong with PC games and pirates, when you search for a specific game in google, and on the first page of results you will find torrent links. [Example: Yesterday I was searching for a game in google -> birth of america II, and on the first page of results, what do I see? Torrent links..incredible  ::)]
See for yourself:
http://www.google.hu/search?hl=hu&q=birth+of+america+II&meta=

Ghidoran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 19, 2008, 11:19:18 am »

Apparently, EA used piracy as a coverup to their real scheme: Blocking out the second hand market. Piracy sounds like a good cause to casual gamers, their main target with Spore. However, we've all seen SecuROM does naught to stop piracy, only encourage it. So that's bsically EA's plan as I see it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 19, 2008, 11:22:26 am »

http://www.xspore.com/news/713_spore_million_sales.html

This is the article about Piracy...

Wow, Piracy is HORRIBLE on the PC... It is sad because I always believed PC games to be better then those on consoles especially when it comes to shooters and Strategy games.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 19, 2008, 11:33:48 am »

http://www.xspore.com/news/713_spore_million_sales.html

This is the article about Piracy...

Wow, Piracy is HORRIBLE on the PC... It is sad because I always believed PC games to be better then those on consoles especially when it comes to shooters and Strategy games.

"The earlier rumors about Spore being "the most pirated game ever" seem to be utterly false, since only 500 000 pirated versions were reported.."

I am wondering that how did they figure out this number...probably just guessing.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 19, 2008, 01:30:55 pm »

The day they start going door to door thru every single house in the world and ask if they pirated the game, is the day I'm going to start believing those pirating figures.

Look! I made a game, it's in BASIC and it should sell 50 gajillion billion schmillion copies... OMG it didn't sell a single one, that's 50 gajillion billion schmillion pirated copies that stole from my profit!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 19, 2008, 01:32:06 pm »

Torrent to my knowledge tends to keep track of how many copies of a game it gives out.

Even if it doesn't it is rather easy to monitor Torrent uploads.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 19, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »

You know a game is really bad when people are even refusing to pirate it...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 19, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

You know a game is really bad when people are even refusing to pirate it...

It really doesn't matter what happens you would probably have attributed it to Spore being bad.

Note: The Next section is pure fiction. Do not take it personally.

Me: "Spore just sold a hundred million copies"
Penutbutter: "Wow, Spore is so bad people are trying to buy up the copies so no one will have to play that gawdaweful game"
Me: "It just doesn't matter what I say does it?"
Penutbutter: "La La La not listening Spore sucks not listening"
Jelly: "I Know, lets derail this topic again to speak about how much we hate Spore, DRM, or Piracy!"
Me: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"
Penutbutter: "See Spore is so bad it Driven Neonivek Insane"
Me: *Dies*
Penutbutter: "See Spore is so bad that it killed Neonivek"
Jelly: "I know lets talk about that!"
Toady: "Instead of possibly bumping this topic back on track I think Ill further derail it by adding a quip thus invalidating any oppinion that perhaps we should get back on track for the few people who may actually like the game!"

Alright my Rant is over...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:27:30 pm by Neonivek »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 19, 2008, 02:22:25 pm »

Neonivek, you should really stop being such a giant flaming fanboy.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 19, 2008, 02:24:48 pm »

I dont understand why you guys hate spore so much, Hype out of the way it is a pretty good game
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 19, 2008, 02:25:19 pm »

Neonivek, you should really stop being such a giant flaming fanboy.

I don't remember the part where I am a flaming Fanboy... Unless not hating Spore uncontrollably counts. In which case I am

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 19, 2008, 02:33:55 pm »

I don't remember the part where I am a flaming Fanboy... Unless not hating Spore uncontrollably counts. In which case I am

You're uncontrollably defending a game which has nothing to defend, simply because others hate it because of it's watered-down-to-death gameplay. Seems to me like you're defending it for the sake of defending it. I've played it, and it's a bad game because it's a dull experience from start to finish and there's nothing to really play for.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 19, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

I found that rant to be a very amusing satire of this thread.

I think it shouldn't be taken that seriously, although it holds a small seed of truth.

P.S. I have a need to also say something about Spore, so that I won't be derailing the thread too much.

The Galactic Code. Apparently evaporating all sentient life from one race's homeplanet with a Gravity Wave before declaring war is a felony against all of the universe. Who would have guessed?

Apparently not me as I managed to do it twice.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 19, 2008, 02:41:03 pm »

my opinion is that spore is a nice game, but it doesn't last much. play it a couple of times (from cell to space) and it becomes a bit boring. gameplay just isn't enough.
it isn't a bad game, just overpriced. and it should have been much better.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 97