Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100386 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2008, 04:30:54 pm »

Tormy what annoys me is the point of DRM is obvious to me but even when I point it out to others it isn't obvious to them...

DRM prevents you from taking the game and installing it on all your friend's computers. It also prevents you from wanting to give it out. Lastly it prevents resale of the game.

Internet Piracy isn't the only form of piracy and it is even questionable if it is the most prominant.

Agreed.  It just doesn't work.  So why go to such lengths?  I find Stardock's policy of making product quality their copy-protection much preferable.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 18, 2008, 04:51:17 pm »

Tormy what annoys me is the point of DRM is obvious to me but even when I point it out to others it isn't obvious to them...

DRM prevents you from taking the game and installing it on all your friend's computers. It also prevents you from wanting to give it out. Lastly it prevents resale of the game.

Internet Piracy isn't the only form of piracy and it is even questionable if it is the most prominant.

Oh...well that makes sense. The problem is, that those people who pirate their games, still won't be forced to buy it. Perhaps these companies -who sell their games with DRM- will make slightly more money. [Example: Like you've said Neon, some people probably borrowed their DVDs to their friends for example, and with this DRM stuff, those friends will be forced to buy the game.]
Either way [and we probably agree about this?] this DRM protection method is utterly annoying.

I find Stardock's policy of making product quality their copy-protection much preferable.

Yeah, same here.  :)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 18, 2008, 05:51:41 pm »

I still don't understand that WHAT THE HELL is the point in this DRM stuff. I am clueless.
1. Pirates don't give a damn about it, correct?
2. This is an annoyance factor for THOSE people, who actually BUY games.

I will be REALLY pissed if some upcoming game -what I will really like- will use this DRM protection method. Thankfully Stardock for example won't use it in their upcoming fantasy TBS.

im pretty sure the DRM is just a scam to get more money. people get new harddrives all the time. EA doesnt have to give you any more activations, so what do you do when youve used up all 3? you have no choice but to rebuy the game. and since you cant resell then EA will be the only ones making money.

i belive its part of the law for the right to resell too.

the DRM does not stop pirating whatsoever, spore was cracked 4 days before release, its actually encouraging it because people dont want to deal with EA's retartedness

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 18, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

Not exactly... DRM is a Scam to prevent resale and people borrowing the game

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 18, 2008, 06:07:24 pm »

that doesnt stop the effect of having to rebuy if you want to continue playing

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 18, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »

I'm absolutely positive DRM skyrocketed the amount of copies of any game using it being pirated.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 18, 2008, 08:17:17 pm »

I'm absolutely positive DRM skyrocketed the amount of copies of any game using it being pirated.

Apperantly that is a false steriotype. Someone did the math and Spore actually wasn't pirated a lot relative to many other games. (I didn't think Piracy was that bad... but apperantly it is)

Ghidoran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 18, 2008, 09:31:23 pm »

Nice to see you here Neonivek! I actually joined here cause of you.

Anyway, I think SecuROM DID increase the piracy at least a little bit. I mean come on, I'm sure there are people who refuse to buy anything from EA, yet still want Spore. So....

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #803 on: October 18, 2008, 09:39:55 pm »

Apperantly that is a false steriotype. Someone did the math and Spore actually wasn't pirated a lot relative to many other games. (I didn't think Piracy was that bad... but apperantly it is)

Hrm. I think I saw that article, and according to them, more than 20 million people pirated Crysis. I don't think there are 20 million computers in the WORLD capable of RUNNING Crysis. Still, this is all based on hearsay and silliness.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 18, 2008, 10:21:53 pm »

Well, I think we can all at least agree that the DRM did not dramatically effect Piracy rates like people thought it did. I Remember people's responses, some thought Spore was the most Pirated game ever.

Also it is nice to see you Ghidoran.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 18, 2008, 10:48:09 pm »

mind linking to who did this. because its hard to belive when ive seen a ton of people saying they pirated their first game because of the DRM. i really dont see how it could decrease pirating.....put up 1 version online, it becomes 100% piratable.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 19, 2008, 01:12:50 am »

It would make sense. With the clientele Spore is marketed to, they probably wouldn't know how to pirate in the first place. It would be attributed to the same reason why the Sims and most Wii games have such high sales figures even though both are easily pirated as well.

However, it doesn't discount the fact that all three parties are not, in fact, heavily pirated.

It's kinda like cake. Most PC games are something like a cupcake. They try to sell the cupcake and it usually sells but there's always this guy who steals a bite. When the cake itself is so small, the guy selling it throws a fit when Mr. Freeloader takes a bite. However, with anything "sim", it's something of a Guinness Book of Records size cake. The ratio of sales vs piracy can be assumed to be similar, just on a larger scale. So, the size of the sales figures would then dwarf the size of the piracy figures based on human perception.

From this, the DRM guys can spin this to say that DRM equals larger sales. It's not logically wrong, but it's still logically wrong. Because we can twist that exact same argument around and say that DRM equals larger piracy figures. Go figure.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 19, 2008, 06:01:10 am »

problem is, the onlything massive about spore is its sales rates and its lack of gameplay. only hype brought that game its sales and with the review everyone who waits for reviews of games to buy them wont be.

of course higher sales means more poeple get the securom root-kit installed on their computers. just another reason to pirate

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 19, 2008, 06:38:34 am »

I have to wonder, also, who's getting these figures on how many copies are pirated, and whence.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 19, 2008, 09:10:35 am »

It is. Check out this for example:
http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/10/08/ubisoft-creative-director-piracys-basically-killing-pc/

"Ubisoft Shanghai creative director Michael de Plater has told VG247 that a PC version of EndWar would most likely be shipping alongside the console SKUs if it wasn’t for rampant PC piracy, and that copyright theft is essentially destroying the PC games market.

“To be honest, if PC wasn’t pirated to hell and back, there’d probably be a PC version coming out the same day as the other two,” he said, talking of the voice-controlled RTS.

“But at the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you’re doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy’s basically killing PC.”

We asked if piracy was the main reason to keep EndWar off PC.

“Yeah, at the time of release,” he said. “You know, the level of piracy that you get with the PC just cannibalizes the others, because people just steal that version.”

De Plater also told us that a PC version is likely to be released further down the line, as reported yesterday.

Tom Clancy’s EndWar does appear to be very good, from what we played of it. Looks as though you’re not going to be leeching a PC version for a while yet, though. You know who you are."

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 97