Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100400 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #750 on: October 13, 2008, 04:51:34 pm »

They had leaving your Spaceship but only as a useless hologram

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 13, 2008, 05:12:35 pm »

Bastards.
This EA we are talking about, that's like calling the sea damp.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 13, 2008, 05:44:12 pm »

Bastards.
This EA we are talking about, that's like calling the sea damp.

I say it's probably fair to call everything wrong with Spore EA's fault. The quickness of the "expansions" only proves that: Spore was almost certainly on the development track to be released far, far later--possibly around the same time as Dwarf Fortress 1.0. But EA took one look at the fanbase and hype currently around, and decided to push developers to finish up the core they had, and shove it out the door as-is.

The result? A game that's halfway between a crippled demo and the full game we were promised, at full game prices. And they will release expansions to gradually build it up into the full amount of gameplay we were expecting to get out of it... only we have to pay extra for those, ha ha.

I place the blame 99% on EA for pulling this, and 1% on Maxis for rolling over and letting them (financial pressure goes a long way, you know).
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 13, 2008, 05:48:07 pm »

You probably should put less blame on EA

Don't forget that it was EA's choice not to send out the unfinished Spore much earlier and give Maxis an extra 1-2 years.

EA didn't rush Spore... Though they probably rushed their bug testing

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 13, 2008, 06:19:05 pm »

Taken as it is, your suggestion seems to amount to saying "Give them some credit, they could have messed it up even more if they'd wanted to."
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 13, 2008, 06:24:42 pm »

I place the blame 99% on EA for pulling this, and 1% on Maxis for rolling over and letting them (financial pressure goes a long way, you know).

Agreed. EA wants one thing: money. Lot of money. Expansions = more money. However we cannot blame them for this. Our world is all about money now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:26:27 pm by Tormy »

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 13, 2008, 06:51:25 pm »

When hasn't it? The only problem is that they've been making crap so long nobody expects anything but crap. All the good games were made six years ago and now they're making sequel after sequel removing all the stuff we liked and adding GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS.... When they do finally make a decent game they take all the features out and sell them to you later...I can't name one good game made a big company in the last 4 years.

At least the old games have more easily aquired full demo versions  :)
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 13, 2008, 06:56:55 pm »

You probably should put less blame on EA

Don't forget that it was EA's choice not to send out the unfinished Spore much earlier and give Maxis an extra 1-2 years.

EA didn't rush Spore... Though they probably rushed their bug testing

You're assuming that the reason Spore is so unfinished is because Maxis didn't finish it in time, but there are a number of features that were already in the game three years ago that weren't in the release.  They weren't unfinished, they were intentionally removed in order to sell them later for extra.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 13, 2008, 07:36:10 pm »

"there are a number of features that were already in the game three years ago that weren't in the release"

Such as?

A lot of these features people mention don't generally exist
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:40:13 pm by Neonivek »

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 13, 2008, 07:44:09 pm »

Off the top of my head, the water stage and putting limbs on limbs.

I'm sure there's a lot more considering I watched the 2005 demo once about 2 years ago.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 13, 2008, 08:54:47 pm »

Off the top of my head, the water stage and putting limbs on limbs.

I'm sure there's a lot more considering I watched the 2005 demo once about 2 years ago.

stated to have been removed in 2006 and the 2005 video was completely staged (What parts of it weren't staged is a mystery!... It is doubtful Will was even playing it)

Basically pretend the 2005 video never existed. It was at best a Concept video and thus nothing in it was actually in the game at the time.

It is also interesting to hear that certain things they put into the 2005 video was actually impossible (Such as the Ragdoll)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:57:03 pm by Neonivek »

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 14, 2008, 03:27:57 am »

stated to have been removed in 2006 and the 2005 video was completely staged (What parts of it weren't staged is a mystery!... It is doubtful Will was even playing it)

Basically pretend the 2005 video never existed. It was at best a Concept video and thus nothing in it was actually in the game at the time.

It is also interesting to hear that certain things they put into the 2005 video was actually impossible (Such as the Ragdoll)

First, what's your source?
Second, was it completely staged or were parts of it?  Please clarify.
Third, no, I will not pretend it never existed.  Never was it said "Hey, these are our ideas, but we probably won't go through with half of it, so take it with a grain of salt".  No way am I going to treat that as anything other than bullshit.
Fourth, what on earth do you mean, "Impossible"?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 14, 2008, 10:31:56 am »

I am willing to wait a few years, I'll just pirate the whole version once it is finished.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51:32 am »

"First, what's your source?"
-Beyond evidence from the 2005 video itself ("Held up with *Word* and *Word*", knowledge of what they did and didn't have finished from later previews, they ALSO had a video where Will Wright, Lucy Bradshaw, Ocean (or water), and a few other people spoke about Spore. My source is a consolidation.
(Note: PLEASE don't make me fetch videos PLEASE!!! I hate that part of an arguement/Debate/infogathering)

"Second, was it completely staged or were parts of it?"
-Frankly... Learning what was and wasn't possible and parts of the game they weren't anywhere close to finishing to the point where they dropped it... I personally think it was completely staged. With what we know now we can say for certain that it was at least 90% staged. Will Wright makes many of the same mistakes twice.

"Third = Not a Question"
-Alrighty then

"Fourth, what on earth do you mean, "Impossible"?"
-In a later video mentioned earlier the team spoke about several concepts that quickly became impossible as in unreasonable to add onto the game. Namely the Ragdoll physics.

Though interestingly Will Wright and Ocean (or Water) both defended a more Mature gameplay. They ended up losing grudgingly.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 14, 2008, 10:54:20 am »

I am willing to wait a few years, I'll just pirate the whole version once it is finished.

Thanks for letting us know about your plans... ;D
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 97