Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100530 times)

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #720 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:43 am »

What the Space stage oddly reminds me of is Sid Meiers: Pirates!.

Interestingly I don't play it because it comes with a time limit.

What was that Pirate game, where you didn't HAVE to be a pirate, where you could actually take down whole ports with your crew, or just kidnap a bunch of people? I only played a demo
Port Royale?

I've never played it but it's apparently like Pirates but less pirate-focused...Uncharted Waters was great and I have played that but I'm pretty sure it didn't have kidnapping or port battles. (You 'bought' ports instead)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 09, 2008, 09:03:44 am »

Eh, I don't wanna sound rude, but you must have some very low standards if you like Spore. Not my business of course, but I find it weird that someone who likes DF also likes Spore.  :)
I don't want to sound rude either, but I found that remark very narrow-minded. You seem to assume that everyone likes DF for the same reasons as you do and so likes the same kinds of games that you do (and therefore should notice why Spore is as horrible as you say), but just in the scope of DF it's hard to find two people who like it for the same reasons.

For example the thing I like the most in DF is something that isn't quite implemented yet. It's the consistent world that grows every single time the game is played. Currently, the world in DF can be broken very easily, even accidentally, whereas in Spore I'll come by my creatures, empires, buildings and vehicles constantly with every game I play. Also every creature I make (and the behaviour of that particular creature) is saved and used later on.

Your remark probably wasn't completely serious considering the  :), but I still didn't want you to think that everyone agrees with it.  ;)

Also, what is it about games that there seems to be some kind of universal truth of which game is good and which is crap. Why isn't it like music or literature, where people are (usually) allowed to have different opinions? Or is this caused by so many gamers (or people) being stubborn enough to not even try to understand other peoples' opinions?

Well okay, the universally truthful crap-scale doesn't do it's thing with every game out there, but there's just certain games, like the Half-lives (which I personally dislike), Fallout (which I like), or now here Spore (which I like at least at the moment) that are thought to be so good or so bad that people thinking otherwise are considered stupid as they are "wrong".

I understand that you, Tormy, don't like Spore and I'm not trying to convert you to do that, but constantly repeating that Spore sucks won't make it the game you wanted and it won't achieve anything but possible arguments.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 09, 2008, 09:21:07 am »

I understand that you, Tormy, don't like Spore and I'm not trying to convert you to do that, but constantly repeating that Spore sucks won't make it the game you wanted and it won't achieve anything but possible arguments.

My reaction was just a reply to your "why do you dislike spore" theories.
I explained already that why do I dislike the game in some previous posts.
..but I must agree, its pointless to argue about this anymore. Everything has been said already. So, just keep discussing about the game itself, I surely won't post anything like "Spore sucks" one more time.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 10, 2008, 05:56:25 am »

I'm enjoying Spore atm, and so is my brother. I've heard rumours that theres going to be free expansions, which will keep me interested in spore for sometime. It has a nice long replayability factor which I enjoy very much. One thing that does tick me off is the space ship creator, everythings all in symetrical, its annoying when your trying to recreate ships.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 10, 2008, 06:09:56 am »

I'm enjoying Spore atm, and so is my brother. I've heard rumours that theres going to be free expansions, which will keep me interested in spore for sometime. It has a nice long replayability factor which I enjoy very much. One thing that does tick me off is the space ship creator, everythings all in symetrical, its annoying when your trying to recreate ships.

No Millenium Falcon for you.

I'm interested- where did you hear the free expansion rumour?
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 10, 2008, 06:37:25 am »

Well, it has some credability too it, since EA (on the EA forums) always announce stuff as rumours before they acctually release stuff, I'm looking at the Sims 2 expansions here. But suppoesedly it's going to involve you being allowed to make underwater creatures/cities.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 10, 2008, 06:59:07 am »

The "Expansions" released for free you heard of is most likely actually the Plant Editor they said they would release for free after Spore was finished. The rest is just rumors people attached to that when they thought things like "Hey what about the hut editor?" and all that.

However it is looking increasingly more likely that they are just going to release the Plant Editor in another expansion.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 10, 2008, 06:02:25 pm »

"EA", and "free" go together like "Wal-Mart" and "respect for human rights".
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 10, 2008, 07:11:25 pm »

No, EA gives a lot of things for free... though a lot of the time it is because they intentionally cut corners such as on Balancing, Optimising, or even basic level playtesting.

It is becoming a increasingly more common trend that games are being released unfinished only to announce that they "Will fix it later" or "Add it in at another date" which sometimes never even happens because the lack of patching injures the sales so much that the fixes arn't cost effective. So basically they kick the people who actually bothered to buy the game in the nuts.
STRONG EXAMPLE: Ghost Master

Ghost Master: The Final Level actually didn't come with the game and they were supposed to release it later. They never did finish it (though I probably am mistaken). It is a shame because to those who did play it, very excellent game (especially the levels where you can't try to scare people), after beating the last level you are previewed a Cliff Hanger that makes all levels before it look like mud.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 10, 2008, 07:14:12 pm »

Spore™ Creepy & Cute Parts Pack
$19.95

It's official, guys.
Slated for November 18th release.

I found it on the EA Store.  It's definitely not a rumor.
http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.1252400&productID=108090800

"Creepy And Cute"?  Seriously?  Cute and Creepy has a MUCH better ring to it.
Nice job, EA, screw ANOTHER thing up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:17:42 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 10, 2008, 07:15:55 pm »

Bastards.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #731 on: October 10, 2008, 08:50:53 pm »

This news serves only to reinforce my idea that Will Wright has lost all control of Maxis; one need only delve into the increasing shoddiness of Sims titles to see the slow, spiraling decent from greatness.

I am perplexed at why EA should see fit to so far remove Wright from the game-making process; perhaps I am mistaken, and instead it is Wright who has slowly moved away from those core ideas that once made his games great.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 10, 2008, 09:03:58 pm »

No, EA gives a lot of things for free... though a lot of the time it is because they intentionally cut corners such as on Balancing, Optimising, or even basic level playtesting.

It is becoming a increasingly more common trend that games are being released unfinished only to announce that they "Will fix it later" or "Add it in at another date" which sometimes never even happens because the lack of patching injures the sales so much that the fixes arn't cost effective. So basically they kick the people who actually bothered to buy the game in the nuts.
STRONG EXAMPLE: Ghost Master

Ghost Master: The Final Level actually didn't come with the game and they were supposed to release it later. They never did finish it (though I probably am mistaken). It is a shame because to those who did play it, very excellent game (especially the levels where you can't try to scare people), after beating the last level you are previewed a Cliff Hanger that makes all levels before it look like mud.

Yeah... Ghost Master... that was a cool game...  :'(

That wasn't EA though.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 10, 2008, 09:07:56 pm »

I never said Ghostmaster was EA

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 11, 2008, 08:55:44 am »

Spore™ Creepy & Cute Parts Pack
$19.95

It's official, guys.
Slated for November 18th release.

I found it on the EA Store.  It's definitely not a rumor.
http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.1252400&productID=108090800

"Creepy And Cute"?  Seriously?  Cute and Creepy has a MUCH better ring to it.
Nice job, EA, screw ANOTHER thing up.

Eh, this is incredible....I bet that they will release at least 20 "expansion packs" like this for 20$/.  ;D
EA....... ::)

PS. You thought that this was a rumor when I posted about this a couple of days ago?  :P
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:53:35 am by Tormy »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 97