Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100508 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #705 on: October 07, 2008, 07:23:41 pm »

Is it wrong of me to expect a certain level of not needing to fill in specific details?

Sorry if I expect more effort to go into an argument than 'NO WE DON'T THEY ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! DAMN IT!!!' Maybe it's something wrong with me, but I expect something a tad deeper than your flamboyant fanboying of the game.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:24 pm »

I have a legitimate copy of the Galactic Edition.

I didn't subscribe to the hype and reasonably enjoy the game.

Username is the same there as it is here.

Cool checking you out. Interesting creatures, I notice that you play the game much more often then you use the editors seperately. Better textures would definately help a TON of your creatures as well as better placement of parts such as Spit parts.

My favorite of your creatures in the Ustilan Academy

Uh, that is a building.

I haven't been interested in going back over my first creations as yet, I'm happy to just work better on the latter stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:40 pm »

Sorry if I expect more effort to go into an argument than 'NO WE DON'T THEY ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! DAMN IT!!!' Maybe it's something wrong with me, but I expect something a tad deeper than your flamboyant fanboying of the game

Fanboyism be damned... Original doesn't mean good and good doesn't mean original.

Id say Fl0w wasn't the same as Spore even if I hated both of them. (In this case, I dislike both Fl0w AND the Cell phase of Spore... though for different reasons. Fl0w for becoming a chore when your fighting some of the faster creatures or playing some of the HORRID creatures as you can spend long periods of time HOPING you can get a part of the creature near the mouth without it chomping on you and making the fight last that much longer as well as a few other details that are better left to a Flow related topic. Spore's for being rather limiting and short and in the end lacking the variety to keep me interested as well as a overarching supperiority of parts and lack of choice based around DNA.)

Don't mix fanboyism with my dislike of overgeneralisations and my, in retrospect, overly high-standards of the community. (as in I expected a "No it isn't think again" was all that was needed). Note that not fulfilling the standard isn't a negative trait, it just means I cannot survive on alluding to what I mean or nudges. In otherwords, I am not dealing with a Like-minded but oppinionated group of people... Conclusion: This Forum is Exactly like GameFAQs (well alright... in GameFAQs, by now someone would have filled in my gaps... so it would be like a rabid board on Gamefaqs)

Uh, that is a building.

I haven't been interested in going back over my first creations as yet, I'm happy to just work better on the latter stuff

Opps, yeah sometimes I substitute words unconsciously if I am just thinking about it at the time. (Or it sounds similar or is related...)

One thing you may want to do is delete some of your cruddy creatures you made just to play the game and replace them with better (or even improved) versions. Ive had to delete tens of creatures that I made in the actual Spore game (A few get in if I think it is passable but as a whole 90% of all things I made inside the actual game stinks)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:12:07 pm by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 08, 2008, 12:42:04 am »

I suspect you're just a creationist. You seem to enjoy "art for the sake of art", which isn't a bad thing by far, but for a game, that principle fails on too many levels. Yes, I can agree that the editors combined with Sporepedia offer a somewhat unique possibility to create, design, and share, but there's nothing to look at beyond that, especially if you play alone, and the design principles of gameplay-relevant elements are worse than the ship designer in Sword of the Stars, which I was also quite disappointed with.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #709 on: October 08, 2008, 05:54:46 am »

I suspect you're just a creationist. You seem to enjoy "art for the sake of art", which isn't a bad thing by far, but for a game, that principle fails on too many levels. Yes, I can agree that the editors combined with Sporepedia offer a somewhat unique possibility to create, design, and share, but there's nothing to look at beyond that, especially if you play alone, and the design principles of gameplay-relevant elements are worse than the ship designer in Sword of the Stars, which I was also quite disappointed with.
Seconded.

I mean, two stages are downright crap and one is bad. Your not going to tell me you liked the tribal and civilization stages? Those are repetitive, badly made mini-games. The creatures stage isn't as bad, but it's still repetitive and just plain unfun.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 08, 2008, 06:48:29 am »

"I suspect you're just a creationist. You seem to enjoy "art for the sake of art""

Naw, I just enjoy the editors and have odd standards, though usually low standards, in videogames.

there's nothing to look at beyond that

I can see that. I usually play for the editors mixed with the Sporepedia which is rather fun. Given that I don't buy games, or play them, too often it was rather fun. Plus I am able to compare it to Freeware.

Though mind you, that I find the Space phase to be very fun though having limited returns rather early on (I feel that by my 3rd playthrough Ill be pretty much done. Currently on my 2nd playthrough)

Your not going to tell me you liked the tribal and civilization stages?

I liked all the stages (yes I can like and dislike something at the same time. Like Oblivion which I love and hate at the same time and often use as the perfect example of a game with a lot of content but lacks substance). Though repetative and boring doesn't begin to describe them, you can get into details such as extreme lack of character and culture in the Tribal Phase. Between the two of them Id say Tribal is the worst.

HOWEVER!!! They are both fun. They are just so shallow and repetative that they won't be fun for very long (3rd playthrough will be enough for me). I am alright with it not bursting from the seams with joy, should I be mad that Spore isn't amazing or just fun for a week or two then toss away?

Unlike MMORPGs which require you to play for months with shallow and repetative gameplay. Spore's phases are done in 1-5 hours which is coincidently the amount of weeks Ill dedicate to a MMORPG before tossing it in the trash :D

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 08, 2008, 08:16:54 am »

"I suspect you're just a creationist. You seem to enjoy "art for the sake of art""

Naw, I just enjoy the editors and have odd standards, though usually low standards, in videogames.

Eh, I don't wanna sound rude, but you must have some very low standards if you like Spore. Not my business of course, but I find it weird that someone who likes DF also likes Spore.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 08, 2008, 12:12:53 pm »

ARG, I be deleting a mistake since I cannot delete my whole post

I am a very wide range kinda person. Though that being said there are games I dislike for what some may find very bad reasons. (One game killer for me is having the main character be ugly)

I can watch cartoons like Wayside and then jump into a serious show like Law and Order (which I prefer over "Without a Trace" or as I like to call it "Without calling the police")

Though mind you while I say that I have several Genres which I generally dislike: Shooters, Racing, Gorefests, and Sports... I have liked games in each of those areas, but in general I stay away.

My favorite appeal of Dwarf Fortress is that I can make suggestions that can actually get used. I want to feel like a contributor especially since all my projects never get off the ground (I STILL have to make a flash movie... and my goal of drawing one picture per day is generally one picture per month at best)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:23:46 pm by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 08, 2008, 01:41:42 pm »

Can you tell me what you think of Space Rangers 2? I'm just really curious. Because you seem to be quite opposite to me, so you will probably hate that game.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 08, 2008, 06:04:56 pm »

From what I seen so far? It looks like a pretty fun game though I am rather put off by the lack of variety within the ship types and wonder if the weapons have visual differences between them going PURELY from the information the official site has given me.

I really need to play the game though... as I don't really feel the impact of the game from the information I am given.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 08, 2008, 09:02:47 pm »

Do not be misled by the ships- there are a handful of different hull types, which the five races all having their own versions of each.  However, hulls of the same type are not born equal.  Look on a few different planets and you may well find a number of, say, human pirate hulls, but one may be more expensive but have a siginficantly higher hull capacity, while another has an extra weapon slot and a third can't use shields but is nice and cheap.  Plus the sheer number of different slots and variations in components mean that every ship is different.

The weapons do have visual differences.  I'm not sure of your meaning but each has a distinctive firing effect as well as being different in the inventory.

Play it, it's worth your while.

I think the original point, however, was the futility of hypothesizing about strangers' gaming tastes based only on their overall attitude to a largely dissimilar game.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #716 on: October 08, 2008, 09:06:15 pm »

What the Space stage oddly reminds me of is Sid Meiers: Pirates!.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 09, 2008, 03:17:05 am »

<====== Spore name.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 09, 2008, 04:26:07 am »

Well, I just got Spore and all I can say is; wow this games better than I'd ever imagined.

Spore name: Nilocy

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 09, 2008, 08:07:01 am »

What the Space stage oddly reminds me of is Sid Meiers: Pirates!.

Interestingly I don't play it because it comes with a time limit.

What was that Pirate game, where you didn't HAVE to be a pirate, where you could actually take down whole ports with your crew, or just kidnap a bunch of people? I only played a demo
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 97