Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100550 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #690 on: October 06, 2008, 09:01:35 pm »

Whelp, I'm officially tired of Spore. I had hoped originally to never have to say that, but what with this whole "five minigames taped together" debacle I find myself terrifically bored. DWAAARF FORTRESS is soooooo much better. So, I thus declare myself officially back to posting with a respectable amount of regularity.
I've only been really messing with the creators anymore.
Even then, they're disappointing me, the lack of OUTFITS THAT ARE NOT PAINTED LIKE THE CREATURE is annoying, and the fact that the OUTFIT SHARES THE COMPLEXITY METER WITH THE CREATURE...

This is what you do. Edit the creature you want to make the Armored version of. Take out ANY part that you fully believe is going to be covered up, or that you could replace with the armor.

That way you get tons of complexity for replacing parts you were in the end, never going to see

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 06, 2008, 09:03:52 pm »

Whelp, I'm officially tired of Spore. I had hoped originally to never have to say that, but what with this whole "five minigames taped together" debacle I find myself terrifically bored. DWAAARF FORTRESS is soooooo much better. So, I thus declare myself officially back to posting with a respectable amount of regularity.
I've only been really messing with the creators anymore.
Even then, they're disappointing me, the lack of OUTFITS THAT ARE NOT PAINTED LIKE THE CREATURE is annoying, and the fact that the OUTFIT SHARES THE COMPLEXITY METER WITH THE CREATURE...

This is what you do. Edit the creature you want to make the Armored version of. Take out ANY part that you fully believe is going to be covered up, or that you could replace with the armor.

That way you get tons of complexity for replacing parts you were in the end, never going to see
Very true, but then you get duplicates...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 06, 2008, 09:09:04 pm »

Duplicates are no problem... In fact you can delete the duplicate after you make the armored version anyhow if your opposed to having a large personal library.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 07, 2008, 03:02:37 am »

"If we pick the game apart, we get Fl0w"
-NO WE DON'T THEY ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! DAMN IT!!! Can everyone stop comparing Spore to Flow? There are only TWO major similarities and they are overall meaningless.

Sean your kinda stuck within generalisations... I mean, I could apply the same to Dwarf Fortress to make it seem like the most unoriginal game ever with its obvious Rogue-like Rip off gameplay and the fact that its Fortress mode so obviously is stollen from Diggles. (Ohh my they both are dwarves arn't they?). It is almost like your bashing Spore because it has discernable Genres.

In otherwords this is my perception of what your saying in a nutshell leaving some details out
Sean: "Spore isn't original... The editors are completely removed from the gameplay and thus don't count. Notice how it has a RTS section? There are other RTS games like Lord of The Rings except WORSE!!!. Spore sucks... Thus because of the above Spore isn't original"
Note: The above is just my perception... not an attempt to make fun of you or make you angry and I hope it isn't misinterpreted as such
Way to notice an argument late. :P

Anyways. Spore's Cell phase is similar to Fl0w, because... well, probably because both involve swimming in something, killing other critters not unlike yourself, periodically encountering bigger critters, eating stuff that's both freely floating around and what you get from killing critters, and changing levels as you progress in the game. Apart from the different ways of character advancement (fl0w wins here) and setting/style, the two are very similar.

As for me picking the game apart, I just pointed out that none of the "subgames" are new, nor are they actually improved in any way, gameplay-wise. This would have been fine by me, had the creators of Spore actually thought to blend the genres better. For example, I would like to personally lead an assault on another village. Or posess a citizen and WALK AROUND IN THE CUSTOM BUILT CITY! Why all the customization if you have to squint to look at it? Why no infantry attacks in Civ mode? Why always direct-control in the creature phase, when I could have liked it better to just play point-and-click, especially seeing as the gameplay is so simple it would've been just as viable? Space phase attempts to mitigate that to a certain extent, but even then you always play only one minigame.

Now, let's take the game I like, Space Rangers. If I pick it apart, I get stuff that has more or less existed since, and can be compared. But what do we have? We have an Elite-rogue-like in flat space using a turn-based "we go" system (go ahead, point out a similar one). We have a barely mediocre RTS that's still a combination of Nether Earth and Z, with customizable robots and first-person control thrown in for tactical advantage. We have an arcade shooter akin to Star Control 2's combat, but with A LOT of enemies, and seamlessly integrated into the main game. And we have honest-to-goodness text adventures, which are not only rare in PC games, but are in this case also made with great care, and only add to the over-the-top and ridiculous atmosphere of Space Rangers (I mean, seriously, I had to test a state-of-the-art stealth bomber with three controls ("fly","land","bomb") over a densely populated city, but trying NOT to kill people and NOT to cause destruction). It's a game on an entirely different level compared to Spore.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:06:28 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 07, 2008, 06:54:38 am »

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:01:40 am by Neonivek »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 07, 2008, 07:05:50 am »

I thought fl0w was inspired by the ideas thrown around at the start of Spore development.
As a simplified look at what the cellphase could be like.

So the comparison is valid, if only in that fl0w represents some of the expectations of many pre-spore fans for that phase.

Who would have thought the polished 'original' would be far more simplistic indeed.

edit: I'm not going to quote myself in response to an angry post (below), so I'll just edit this post and say: read it again and carefully this time.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:59:45 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 07, 2008, 07:11:02 am »

The thing is that that Spore and Flow take place in the same setting and that is where their strongest similarity derives from unless you get into Generics such as enemies getting tougher (Though mind you that enemies don't actually get significance in their size while in Fl0w their size has significance)

When you take the gameplay the differences start to show drastically especially when it comes to combat, movement, type of progression, enemies, progressive abilities, level design, tools the player has at their exposal, act of progression, the reflection of levels... and all that.

I don't want to argue while I am angry so Ill stop here.

Sidenote: If Fl0w was based off of Spore's Cell phase (and I have my doubts) it was based off of the original build which is in many ways different.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:33:13 am by Neonivek »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 07, 2008, 09:05:32 am »

Whelp, I'm officially tired of Spore. I had hoped originally to never have to say that, but what with this whole "five minigames taped together" debacle I find myself terrifically bored.

You officially wasted many hours of your life.  ;D

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14:32 pm »

Okay, that theory was false and turned out a lot harsher than I first intended. Let's try again with a softer version. The first form of this theory (in my mind) was that Spore should a have warning that said: "If you built only pre-made rollercoasters in Rollercoaster Tycoon, you won't like this game", but somehow that sounded stupid to me and then I ended up sounding stupid myself. Oh, well.

So, how about this new theory, anyone here who hates custom rollercoasters but loves Spore?

This one probably won't fall apart as fast as it's predecessor.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 07, 2008, 03:11:46 pm »

Okay, that theory was false and turned out a lot harsher than I first intended. Let's try again with a softer version. The first form of this theory (in my mind) was that Spore should a have warning that said: "If you built only pre-made rollercoasters in Rollercoaster Tycoon, you won't like this game", but somehow that sounded stupid to me and then I ended up sounding stupid myself. Oh, well.

So, how about this new theory, anyone here who hates custom rollercoasters but loves Spore?

This one probably won't fall apart as fast as it's predecessor.

Just stop creating your theories. Spore sucks, there is your answer.  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 07, 2008, 06:36:06 pm »

Well how about this...

Graffiti Kingdom: If you don't create creatures you are pretty much missing out at the whole point of getting the game.

In RollerCoaster Tycoon the roller coaster building is really just extra... I personally liked using prebuilt rollercoasters because they were cheatingly better then anything I could make.

Anyhow should I assume that there won't be real Spore conversations in here? Or are we going to be eternally on the topic of Piracy and how much everyone dislikes Spore? There is nothing wrong with negative commentary (I support people speaking about how they dislike a game as long as it is valid), but I am already done hearing Spore bashing for a while.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:42:57 pm by Neonivek »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 07, 2008, 06:57:54 pm »

Anyhow should I assume that there won't be real Spore conversations in here? Or are we going to be eternally on the topic of Piracy and how much everyone dislikes Spore? There is nothing wrong with negative commentary (I support people speaking about how they dislike a game as long as it is valid), but I am already done hearing Spore bashing for a while.

If your counter arguments were something other than 'IS NOT!' when it comes to the jokesuckage that is the gameplay of spore, I might take this with a little less salt.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 07, 2008, 07:14:02 pm »

Is it wrong of me to expect a certain level of not needing to fill in specific details?

I shouldn't need to explain for example why Fable and Oblivion are not the same game.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 07, 2008, 07:15:03 pm »

I have a legitimate copy of the Galactic Edition.

I didn't subscribe to the hype and reasonably enjoy the game.

Username is the same there as it is here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 07, 2008, 07:22:08 pm »

I have a legitimate copy of the Galactic Edition.

I didn't subscribe to the hype and reasonably enjoy the game.

Username is the same there as it is here.

Cool checking you out. Interesting creatures, I notice that you play the game much more often then you use the editors seperately. Better textures would definately help a TON of your creatures as well as better placement of parts such as Spit parts.

My favorite of your creatures in the Ustilan Academy
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 97