Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100546 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #675 on: October 06, 2008, 03:17:13 pm »

How many people here even own a legal copy of Spore?

Id love to share my creations! such as my extensive supply of Space Faring creatures!
I own a legal copy since last wednesday. What might be your name in Spore? I'm very interested in seeing peoples' creations. Especially full sets of them. (I'll try Neonivek when I launch Spore)

I'm not satisfied with my own ability to create things other than creatures though, but that is probably because I have gone through tribal and civ stages (and so their editors) only once. So nothing spectacular should be expected from me (yet).

I have been quite happy with Spore so far. When I bought it, I was most interested in Sporepedia, the massive amount of player-made content and interacting with this content (especially by me or my friends) and none of these aspects have disappointed me.

Also yesterday I heard about one thing in Spore that is now one of my favorite features in it and it was something I hadn't even paid any attention to earlier. It's the music by Brian Eno (or rather programmed by Brian Eno.) I found out that the game doesn't have a soundtrack, but all the music is generated by the game itself based on the actions of the player. Even in the creature creator the music becomes more aggressive when the player adds claws and such. This just blew my mind for some reason. Although I have to admit I am fairly interested in music and spend many hours a day listening or playing it.

P.S. I have a theory about the people that don't like Spore (excluding the people who hated it because of DRM.) :

I claim that the people who don't like Spore are those who always built pre-made rollercoasters in Rollercoaster Tycoon.

This theory might prove to be completely inaccurate, so feel free to challenge it.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:22:28 pm by LASD »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 06, 2008, 03:23:04 pm »

P.S. I have a theory about the people that don't like Spore (excluding the people who hated it because of DRM.) :

I claim that the people who don't like Spore are those who always built pre-made rollercoasters in Rollercoaster Tycoon.

This theory might prove to be completely inaccurate, so feel free to challenge it.

Heh wrong. My standards are quite high. Spore fails badly as a "quality" product. This is an innovative, and very simple game. Simplistic mini games linked together. Basically like I've said, this software is perfect for the small kids, they surely love it. I just can't understand how can an adult like this game.
..but I could also ask the same about the Sims.
Even casual gamers should have a higher standard. Perhaps they are just very frugal? I don't know really.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:30:05 pm by Tormy »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:15 pm »

Nope, I always enjoyed customizing all sorts of stuff. Yes, including rollercoasters, and not only in RCT. I just don't like games where your design has no purpose. What's the point of making a ship look cool if a crappy one will do the same thing, and save you on design time? This is the reason I like Remember Tomorrow and Robot Arena 2. Parts alone hardly mean anything, it's how you place them together that matters.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 06, 2008, 03:38:29 pm »

Might be true, as I found RCT not worth playing after I figured out the mechanics.
On the other hand, I don't understand the rationale behind using premade stuff in a builder-sim.

I like the concept of creating creatures and other content, I sometimes even try to show of my level 5 creativity.
Only dissapointed that the features that interested me most got left out.
Such as emergent/dynamic body balance and movement... err... the... what was the word again? ...

Just too simple and short a game to warrant creating creatures each time.
Sure it is made easy with the editors, but then there is little investment, so also little worth IMO.
I like to watch my underlings go along their bussiness while they're sorting out resource management.
Not much of that either. Sure, you can watch them doing their stuff, but it matters little what they do.

I just realised: the less control I have the more I like it, as long as there are some solid rules that are persistent.
I should just go back to settlers 2 and majesty. ;P
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 06, 2008, 03:41:24 pm »

For me, it's partly the uselessness of the creation process. But, it's mostly the fact that the creation IS the reason for the game. In Galactic Civilizations 2, we have the same problem of parts being all that matters for ships. Most of the pieces are simply cosmetic, and you can have all your guns on one part of the ship and it won't matter. Heck, you can have guns that should technically be hitting the ship itself, and it doesn't change anything. But in GC2, I don't mind. Why? Because it's a rich and complex game even if I don't play around with ship customization (which I do anyway).

In Spore, that's all you really get. The customization. All the mini-games are simplistic, and the only reason they are interesting at all is because of the user content. So in Spore the fact that the creation engine is flawed is a major flaw in the game itself, not just a part that could have been done better.

THAT is why I refuse to buy spore. If they ever make some expansions that fix that, and give the game enough depth to be worthwhile, I might buy it. Until then, I'll spend my time and money on better games.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 06, 2008, 03:51:42 pm »

I wish I could have sold my copy to Tormy...

now I'm stuck waiting for a patch>mod>expansion>"spore2-with added science" that gives me the game I want.

Actually I have spent more time in the free creator and the gravity simulator they released than in Spore itself.
For the creator, because it was new and in itself is quite fun for a freebee.
The simulator I just watched for hours, sometimes tweaking some parameter and sometimes just leaving it running for hours.
I wish I could let spore running and still get progress (not ending in the galaxy being doomed).

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 06, 2008, 03:58:34 pm »

I wish I could have sold my copy to Tormy...

now I'm stuck waiting for a patch>mod>expansion>"spore2-with added science" that gives me the game I want.

Actually I have spent more time in the free creator and the gravity simulator they released than in Spore itself.
For the creator, because it was new and in itself is quite fun for a freebee.
The simulator I just watched for hours, sometimes tweaking some parameter and sometimes just leaving it running for hours.
I wish I could let spore running and still get progress (not ending in the galaxy being doomed).

Bleh, 1 copy was more than enough.  ;D
I must admit, that the creature creator is good. The problem is that it is the only good stuff in this game. Maybe it's no wonder that they released that part of the game before the "big version" hit the shelves. Very good move by EA again.  ::)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 06, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »

What might be your name in Spore? I'm very interested in seeing peoples' creations.
jaybud42 for my most recent stuff, jaybud4 for my 6 Creature Creator things.  They suck, though.
Don't ask how or why I have two EA accounts.  It's a long story.
Yes, I know that wasn't directed at me.  I don't care.  You can all take a look at my stuff if you want, just know that due to the auto-uploading of ingame created stuff, there's a lot more non-quality stuff in there then I'd like.
and Robot Arena 2. Parts alone hardly mean anything, it's how you place them together that matters.
Aw, dude, that game's awesome.  I haven't played it in years though..  I have half a mind to go and find my copy in the depths of my entirely dwarfy tower of games.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:19:45 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 06, 2008, 04:49:42 pm »

Heh, yeah. I was constantly engaging myself in the "build the most absurdly complicated and useless machine" contest. I think the "pistonrotorhammercopter" won that one for me. "The Arsenal" came a close second, because it couldn't swing all of its weapons at once without keeling over. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 06, 2008, 05:10:07 pm »

I'm going to smack you across the head with a copper mallet for baseless segregation. I have great pride in my rollercoaster parks which only feature Umiman-brand rollercoasters and ATMs at every corner.

While I applaud you for your candidness, this theory is completely flawed based on statistics alone; even if it were true, there would at least be one person who hates Spore but builds his own rollercoasters.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:49 pm »

I designed my own rollercoasters, but only because I could never fit in the pre-built ones...I never really liked rollercoaster tycoon, though, so that was probably why. The only time I designed my own 'coasters for kicks was when I was making deathtraps.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 06, 2008, 06:01:16 pm »

How many people here even own a legal copy of Spore?

Id love to share my creations! such as my extensive supply of Space Faring creatures!

I'm on the Sporepedia as Alfadorfox. Have been since I downloaded the trial, then bought the Creature Creator.

I bought Spore because I wanted to support Maxis, even though it made my teeth grind to know that I was inevitably also supporting EA by doing so. When would I resort to piracy for Spore? ...Why, when my number of installs runs out, of course, because I don't want to deal with the bullshit they undoubtedly have set up to harass people into buying a second copy of the game. All I'd need would be a version that has no DRM and no install key needed, assuming the connection to Sporepedia is separate and requires only that you have a valid game copy running and a valid login (I've had people with their own accounts log in on my laptop's install with no problems, though it still pops up as my saved galaxy there, so this seems to be the case.) rather than verifying the DRM there too.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 06, 2008, 06:45:36 pm »

Heh, yeah. I was constantly engaging myself in the "build the most absurdly complicated and useless machine" contest. I think the "pistonrotorhammercopter" won that one for me. "The Arsenal" came a close second, because it couldn't swing all of its weapons at once without keeling over. :P
I made one that could FLY when it was "swinging" all its weapons.  Of course, the power supply depleted nearly instantaneously, which is why I installed a custom one with near-infinite power(If only that existed in reality...)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #688 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:17 pm »

Whelp, I'm officially tired of Spore. I had hoped originally to never have to say that, but what with this whole "five minigames taped together" debacle I find myself terrifically bored. DWAAARF FORTRESS is soooooo much better. So, I thus declare myself officially back to posting with a respectable amount of regularity.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:01 pm »

Whelp, I'm officially tired of Spore. I had hoped originally to never have to say that, but what with this whole "five minigames taped together" debacle I find myself terrifically bored. DWAAARF FORTRESS is soooooo much better. So, I thus declare myself officially back to posting with a respectable amount of regularity.
I've only been really messing with the creators anymore.
Even then, they're disappointing me, the lack of OUTFITS THAT ARE NOT PAINTED LIKE THE CREATURE is annoying, and the fact that the OUTFIT SHARES THE COMPLEXITY METER WITH THE CREATURE...
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 97