Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100568 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #630 on: October 05, 2008, 03:41:37 pm »

The difference is that with software it isn't tangible. There is no physical loss.

The physical loss is in money, and even if a game is pirated a million times, no doubt said game has a million, if not more, legal buyers. Companies that blame unprofitable game releases on piracy are lazy and deserve to go under.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 05, 2008, 03:49:59 pm »

The difference is that with software it isn't tangible. There is no physical loss.
The physical loss is in money, and even if a game is pirated a million times, no doubt said game has a million, if not more, legal buyers. Companies that blame unprofitable game releases on piracy are lazy and deserve to go under.

By physical I meant inventory. It's not like you nicked a copy from the factory. Some companies don't sell "millions" of copies. Indy games are pirated alongside the games from big name companies.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 05, 2008, 03:59:01 pm »

Stealing involves taking another person's possesions for yourself and thereby deprieving them of said possesions and their use. For example, if i steal your car, you have to walk to work. Where as i pirate your car, we both end up with exactly the same car and your copy of it completely intact. Sharing =/= stealing.
That you didn't physically grab a copy and run out of the store does not matter.  That nothing was damaged, and no saw you do it does not matter either.  The 'possession' you took was the producer's right to make money on their product.  You obtained something you were supposed to pay for without paying for it.  That is stealing.  And you can use all the euphemisms and back-patting leetness you want, it'll still be stealing.

Quote from: Asehujiko
Getting rid of an entire securom protection scheme is a time intensive operation. Emulating the protection involves opening a .dll an doing a quick Ctrl+F followed by some copypasta. The pirated version of spore completely lacked any form of protection whatsoever, emulated or otherwise, indicated that either somebody sifted manualy through several thousand lines of code or that an unprotected copy was involved. The first becomes nigh impossible considering the time involved so it had to be somebody with access to a maxis workstation uploading it. Which means we have either:
1. A very skilled hacker

If you're going to argue with me, don't say the same I did as a defense.  Those Russian guys do this as a career, and one-up each other on elegance of effort.  Just because you don't how to do it doesn't mean no one else can.

Look, I get that thinking it's some kind of conspiracy is nice for you, because in some weird way it lets you absolve yourself of the fact that you've done something you know is illegal.  "Hey, if the people I stole from are evil, it's not bad then right?  I mean, EA uploaded it themselves, they wanted me to pirate it.  Yeah, that's the ticket, I'm the good guy here."  Really, you're just making the rest of look bad.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:10:31 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 05, 2008, 04:06:54 pm »

We russians usually call it "voting with the purse". There's no point in trying to petition EA to stop turning good games into profit fodder, but we can just try to deny them the profit.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 05, 2008, 04:27:06 pm »

but we can just try to deny them the profit.

Seriously who cares? There are lots of people who like these retarded games, let them buy it. Hell let them buy the upcoming 120 addons even. I rarely do something like this, but my Spore package is landed in the trashcan.  ;D
I detest these IQ light and mindless games. Yes like Spore or the Sims for example.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #635 on: October 05, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »

"As a show of how little I enjoy your game, I am going to steal it and play it."

"As a show of how little I enjoy your candy bar, I am going to shoplift it and eat it."

Just doesn't make sense to me.    Just man up and admit you're stealing intellectual property because you'd rather not pay for it.

Edit:  The crux of this, is that I believe a corporation as an entity should have the right to say "We will let you use our product if you compensate us for our hard work."   Pirating breaks that agreement because you get their hard work without compensating them a bit.   Ergo, theft plain and simple.   Don't try to gussy it up with talk of 'freedom' or 'rights', since you're actively taking away the freedom and rights of the corporation to get compensated for their product.   By pirating, you're the aggressor.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:42:46 pm by Capntastic »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 05, 2008, 06:02:36 pm »

I man up then, or rather I've never denied it in the first place. Their product sucks and it's not worth the money they want me to pay for it.

Most often in these cases I just don't play it, if I do want to play it I play it, if it's worthwhile I pay for it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 05, 2008, 06:05:29 pm »

From spore to piracy?

Nice. The pirates in spore are annoying. But I hear there's a mod that fixes it, maybe there's a mod that will fix irl. Oh well, no such thing.

But, I think that problem is, at least in my case, the term 'intellectual property'. I don't believe there's such thing as intellectual property and choose not to abide to it. There are other laws I do not abide to in my country as well. Fundamentally speaking, I'm free to choose and if the other people one day persecute me based on their laws, I will fight but I'm well aware shit can happen.

In my case, I ask myself, "If this wasn't available through galleons with black flags, would I actually go out there and buy it?" If the answer is no, then no. If the answer is yes, then I buy it, to my regret (read Spore) or not. If the shareware days were back, I wouldn't have need for piracy. Like the first Doom. Back in the day, I was really temped to mail them the money, but that wouldn't work out well, different country and all, later I was actually able to buy it through a magazine and I'm very proud of the stack of game boxes I have here.

I even buy games through digital mediums when I think they are worth it. I live through what I believe in, even if the majority doesn't and like I said, if they nag me I will fight, but I'm aware I will probably loose against a major entity like a government.

*shrugs* My 2 cents.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 05, 2008, 06:09:37 pm »

Edit:  The crux of this, is that I believe a corporation as an entity should have the right to say "We will let you use our product if you compensate us for our hard work."   Pirating breaks that agreement because you get their hard work without compensating them a bit.   Ergo, theft plain and simple.   Don't try to gussy it up with talk of 'freedom' or 'rights', since you're actively taking away the freedom and rights of the corporation to get compensated for their product.   By pirating, you're the aggressor.

The only 'hard work' that went into spore was the mass amount of hype and the extreme renovation which made it into a kiddie game.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 05, 2008, 06:13:44 pm »

The only 'hard work' that went into spore was the mass amount of hype and the extreme renovation which made it into a kiddie game.

Oh, hard work did go into it. Will Wright worked on the engine for years. I believe later in development some middle management or upper management bigwig thought to simplify the game, thus making the market larger.

I like to think of Will Wright as Toady. And Spore like DF, if DF is ever sold to a major company. When they get done, all that's left is a city building game that has digging. And the dwarves will then be turned into mindless peons.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2008, 06:19:48 pm »

"....if DF is ever sold to a major company..."
*plugs ears*
LALALALLALAALALAALA

I'd rather not even think about that, but sadly that is probably what would happen.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 05, 2008, 06:30:15 pm »

We are kidnapping Toady if he does. We'll feed him, clothe him, provide him with a computer, and
CAREFULLY monitored Internet use.

He'll finish DF, wether he likes it or not  :P
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #642 on: October 05, 2008, 06:35:17 pm »

Hyperbole of the highest calibre, I'm afraid.   Even then, that doesn't address, in any way, why people still insist on pirating it if it's so awful.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 05, 2008, 06:43:15 pm »

Hyperbole of the highest calibre, I'm afraid.   Even then, that doesn't address, in any way, why people still insist on pirating it if it's so awful.
Becuase they dont think its worth $60?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 05, 2008, 07:50:42 pm »

The only 'hard work' that went into spore was the mass amount of hype and the extreme renovation which made it into a kiddie game

Spore was amazing with the fact that it was everything they said it was (They made ammendments). You could however say that they left things open to be overhyped by the community.

The community is almost entirely to blame about the Hype... This isn't Black and White 2 and Fable (Though mind you... Black and White 2 was tragic) where the developer created it ceaselessly then the community took it and blown it out of proportion.

This is where Will makes the game sound amazing in scope... Tells you a few parts of the game isn't going in the final product... Releases info that proves it isn't AMAZING!!! then the community, who only listens to the first part, takes it and goes on and on.

Spore being a disapointment didn't come out of the blue (though I love it). (this is why I generally don't preorder games)

As for the Developers being Lazy... Look man, Spore touches areas of gaming that have NEVER been touched before in many different areas. They also spent 2-4 extra years on it then they believed they were supposed to (Yet that doesn't show in the price does it?).

Anyhow if they don't think it is worth $60 bucks then you wait until it gets cheaper... I am sure there are cheap Spore games already on Ebay.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 97