Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100554 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #615 on: September 27, 2008, 01:45:38 pm »

Apperantly Will Wright and Ocean argued for more mature gameplay and lost

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 27, 2008, 02:03:53 pm »

It's not the cuteness that turned me off. It's the dumbed down systems. I can't argue, though. I'm sure it sold and made a fortune off people who wanted cute or wanted simple. How many sales would they have made off of those of us who would want realistically vicious and complicated?

I'm sure at one time or another, SimEarth was brought up.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 05, 2008, 03:06:05 am »

Tricky question: Would piracy still be illegal if the copyright lobby didn't have billions to blow on changing laws in their favor and manipulating the media whereas pirates are generaly non-profit?

Also, who was responsible for uploading spore long before the actual release date? It has to be somebody from EA or Maxis because it didn't feature an emulated copy protection like most games. That only happens if it's intercepted before the gold version is produced.

Conspiracy ahoy! EA intentionaly uploaded spore so thy could point fingers at the pirate bay in case their hype didn't have the desired effect.

To keep up with the restaurant analogy: The silver platter was intentionaly made very bright to conceal the disapointing meal and you are being charged for eating from the platter as well. Furthermore, everybody who orders it is pre-emptively ordered to do the dishes before you get your food and you also pay for the tap water you use while doing the dishes. Meanwhile, other people look up the recipie online, make their own dinner and eat it from a regular ceramic platter. They still have their retina's, cash and sanity.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 05, 2008, 06:32:02 am »

Tricky question: Would piracy still be illegal if the copyright lobby didn't have billions to blow on changing laws in their favor and manipulating the media whereas pirates are generaly non-profit?

Also, who was responsible for uploading spore long before the actual release date? It has to be somebody from EA or Maxis because it didn't feature an emulated copy protection like most games. That only happens if it's intercepted before the gold version is produced.

Conspiracy ahoy! EA intentionaly uploaded spore so thy could point fingers at the pirate bay in case their hype didn't have the desired effect.

Dammit, yes, stealing is still stealing no matter how corrupt the people who make laws are.  Indignance does not make you in the right.

And if you think some Russian or Brazilian crackers can't strip out a copy protection system made by low-rent American programmers, then you really don't want to know how little EA cares about your opinion of Spore.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 05, 2008, 06:48:29 am »

Side note: The first "addon" is gonna be released soon for Spore.

http://hookedonspore.com/

"It looks like the first addon for Spore will arrive very soon indeed. Called the Spore Cute & Creepy Parts Pack has a retail price of $19.99 and will be available on the 18th of November."

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 05, 2008, 07:06:03 am »

Bah.  Money grubbers.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 05, 2008, 07:15:34 am »

Just what we need, more cute.  Where's the Ocean Quiggly expansion pack?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #622 on: October 05, 2008, 09:49:14 am »

On my freaking birthday.
This is war.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:12 am »

It's more than likely going to be like the Sims. I think the sims 2 has 8 or so expansion packs and almost the same amount of "stuff" packs...  ::)

You won't catch me buying an EA game any time soon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 05, 2008, 10:51:44 am »

I personally do not believe that Spore will have a billion expansion packs. (3 tops)

Though the apperant "Next Expansion" or Spore sounds as stupid as it is lame... (And I actually love Spore... so that tells you something)

If the next expansion is totally worthless like the reports say... then I will change my mind.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 05, 2008, 11:18:26 am »

I personally do not believe that Spore will have a billion expansion packs. (3 tops)

Though the apperant "Next Expansion" or Spore sounds as stupid as it is lame... (And I actually love Spore... so that tells you something)

If the next expansion is totally worthless like the reports say... then I will change my mind.

I think the pricetag is a dead giveaway that you aren't going to be getting much. It's pretty much the equivalent of a sims "stuff pack" which retail for the same amount. I expect that the expansions will be around 40$

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 05, 2008, 03:18:41 pm »

Dammit, yes, stealing is still stealing no matter how corrupt the people who make laws are.  Indignance does not make you in the right.

And if you think some Russian or Brazilian crackers can't strip out a copy protection system made by low-rent American programmers, then you really don't want to know how little EA cares about your opinion of Spore.

Stealing involves taking another person's possesions for yourself and thereby deprieving them of said possesions and their use. For example, if i steal your car, you have to walk to work. Where as i pirate your car, we both end up with exactly the same car and your copy of it completely intact. Sharing =/= stealing.

Getting rid of an entire securom protection scheme is a time intensive operation. Emulating the protection involves opening a .dll an doing a quick Ctrl+F followed by some copypasta. The pirated version of spore completely lacked any form of protection whatsoever, emulated or otherwise, indicated that either somebody sifted manualy through several thousand lines of code or that an unprotected copy was involved. The first becomes nigh impossible considering the time involved so it had to be somebody with access to a maxis workstation uploading it. Which means we have either:
1. A very skilled hacker
2. Somebody who broke into their office and stole a copy
3. An insider
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 05, 2008, 03:26:41 pm »

Stealing involves taking another person's possesions for yourself and thereby deprieving them of said possesions and their use. For example, if i steal your car, you have to walk to work. Where as i pirate your car, we both end up with exactly the same car and your copy of it completely intact. Sharing =/= stealing.

By that logic counterfeiting money would be perfectly okay.

Share the wealth!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 05, 2008, 03:30:04 pm »

Share the wealth!

You don't give people pirated video games for other objects.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 05, 2008, 03:37:53 pm »

Share the wealth!

You don't give people pirated video games for other objects.

You could, and people do. It happens everyday, but I know that's not the kind of piracy being discussed here.

In the end it has the same effect. You take your "pirated" money to the store and buy something. The company ends up losing money. The difference is that with software it isn't tangible. There is no physical loss.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 97