Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100277 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2008, 09:31:25 pm »

Rough but right.
That's what it feels like for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2008, 09:34:47 pm »

I'm actually really surprised someone hasn't tried to remake Sim Earth, or something close to it.  I bet people were waiting until Spore came out to see if it would do Sim Earth justice.  Now that we know it doesn't even come close, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see some indie developers take up the challenge.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 11, 2008, 12:54:16 am »

There's another fun fact: There's another jumbled mess of minigames strung together with a weak storyline and "content editors", that's so good that we PC users wept when were deprived of its glory. Raving Rabbids 2. Here's the difference - RR2 is a jumbled mess of HILARIOUS minigames. Spore is just, well, a jumbled mess. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 11, 2008, 01:43:54 am »

I'm actually really surprised someone hasn't tried to remake Sim Earth, or something close to it.  I bet people were waiting until Spore came out to see if it would do Sim Earth justice.  Now that we know it doesn't even come close, I'd be willing to bet that we'll see some indie developers take up the challenge.

Check out the "Spogue" thread :)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #364 on: September 11, 2008, 03:18:08 am »

I liked Spore because it is exactly what is was described as.   It is also pretty fun.   It has a few problems with stage complexity and length (they both need to be cranked up), but aside from that it is a very solid and amusing game.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 11, 2008, 07:34:18 am »

If something is disappointing, we must just be looking at it the wrong way? 

Say you were promised a hundred dollars, but instead you got ten rupee.  What other way is there to look at it?

I wasn't saying that you were wrong because you hated Spore. There was, I thought, an implied Mileage May Vary. I was merely stating that perhaps, if you approached Spore from a different angle - for example, what the game actually is, rather than what you wanted it to be - then you might find it somewhat more enjoyable. You may not have noticed the trend, but many people posting in this thread who liked Spore have basically said that it's not as great as everyone made out, but it's got some entertainment value, if only for a few days.

Anyway, that's my opinion. In case this gets misinterpreted again, YMMV. Now I'm off to play Spore.

Where'd you get the idea I hate Spore?  All I did was point out that you're basically saying, 'Yeah, we were promised a hundred dollars and were instead given ten Rupee, but if you just pretend that you weren't promised anything at all, that ten rupee doesn't seem so bad.'  Just because someone isn't happy doesn't mean they're looking at it the wrong way.  Just because someone is happy doesn't mean they're looking at it the right way.  I'm not happy about pinching my fingers the other day with a shopping cart.  Am I looking at it the wrong way?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 11, 2008, 10:31:31 am »

I don't believe he said anything about a right way or wrong way, only that it might look different viewed another way.

The gist of my post was that I am unable to do that, but I respect those who can.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 11, 2008, 10:39:13 am »

Even sim Earth had it's problems...
might have been my crappy gaming, but I had serious trouble with tectonics swallowing all my land and with monocultures of maple-like trees taking over my ecologies.

Sounds like you're getting SimEarth and SimLife confused. Earth didn't really monitor individual species and I don't think there was a biome icon that looked particularly maple like. Also never had a problem with plate tectonics eat all of the land. Too much water + too little heat, yes. That did it every time. Need to go lighter on the ice meteors or something I guess.

Also for that matter what's all this stuff about doing SimEarth justice? Since when am I not the only person that liked SimEarth?

You may not have noticed the trend, but many people posting in this thread who liked Spore have basically said that it's not as great as everyone made out, but it's got some entertainment value, if only for a few days.

Yeah but since when did "some entertainment value, if only for a few days" come to mean "good?"

I'm not happy about pinching my fingers the other day with a shopping cart.  Am I looking at it the wrong way?

Yes.

It wasn't your groin.

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 11, 2008, 11:18:44 am »

I don't really understand the statements that Spore is exactly what it said it would be.

This implies that those of us, and there are an awful lot of us, who feel otherwise are incapable of reading with any comprehension and incapable of listening and viewing videos of Will Wright with any comprehension.

The fact is that Spore purports to simulate various stages of development of a sentient, social species.

This it does very, very poorly.  Some stages of the game are so shockingly thin and uninteresting as to render them completely pointless.

The final stage is the best, and is by design the deepest and that's fine - but it's also just plain awful.  It's not a good 4x at all.  That would be happily forgiven if there was some other game mechanic going on. 

If there was some actual game play reason to modify the planets and favor a species with sentience, etc, then the shallow 4x would be fine.

But sadly the game is just 'rush around trying to prevent your carefully managed planets from being demolished by 5 sick herbivores'...

That's freaking laughably awful.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 11, 2008, 11:31:09 am »

Unlike most people, I dismissed Spore as a bunch of mini-games before it was even released, but said that since I love minigames and incredibly simple 4Xs (Let it be known, I want to conquer the universe, not handle budgets. If I wanted to handle budgets, I'd play Quicken), I should go out and buy it and at least see the storyline they have planned.

However, since that Spore has gotten so many bad reviews, maybe I shouldn't actually buy these mini-games. But I am still interested in the story. Can anyone who play it tell me the storyline of Spore, please?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2008, 11:40:42 am »

Unlike most people, I dismissed Spore as a bunch of mini-games before it was even released, but said that since I love minigames and incredibly simple 4Xs (Let it be known, I want to conquer the universe, not handle budgets. If I wanted to handle budgets, I'd play Quicken), I should go out and buy it and at least see the storyline they have planned.

However, since that Spore has gotten so many bad reviews, maybe I shouldn't actually buy these mini-games. But I am still interested in the story. Can anyone who play it tell me the storyline of Spore, please?

Spore Storyline? What?  :o
Check out this video maybe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5iYoRihRno
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:43:59 am by Tormy »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 11, 2008, 03:22:44 pm »

Even sim Earth had it's problems...
    might have been my crappy gaming, but I had serious trouble with tectonics swallowing all my land and with monocultures of maple-like trees taking over my ecologies.

I had the tectonics problem too, I'd get a great set of continents set up, and then a few minutes later continental drift would reduce it to hundreds of one-tile islands which would then sink and rise with the fluctuating ocean-levels.
Shoes...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:03 pm »

I predict this comment in review sites:

"If you liked Dogz, you'll like this game too."

;)

I liked the 'terraform Mars' scenario in SE, that worked wonderfully well.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 11, 2008, 05:05:20 pm »

I got my dirty hands on Spore Creatures for the DS. So far it looks interesting, despite the slowdowns on the emulator, but the creature creator looks almost exactly like that flash mock-up created by fans. It does look nifty in-game though, despite all creatures being technically flat.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 11, 2008, 05:40:49 pm »

I predict this comment in review sites:

"If you liked Dogz, you'll like this game too."

;)

I liked the 'terraform Mars' scenario in SE, that worked wonderfully well.

Eh, correction:

Conclusion:
"Spore gameplay is extremely simple and repetitive. Warning: Your balls explode in total boredom if you happen to play too much!"  ;D

*edit*

..and also what the hell??  :o
http://antispore.com/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:42:41 pm by Tormy »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 97