Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100248 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2008, 07:09:04 pm »

Hype and pressure killed this game.

To be honest. I to played it and I was slightly underwhelmed (I knew what to expect). I still managed to have enough fun and I think the game has enough content to justify the price.

The game does has a lot of content. And I'm not talking about player generated content but but in game mechanics and the creator's abilities. The problem with the game is that they spread the butter too thin and every phase feels like an incomplete game. Their greatest failure was that they did not managed to merge well the phases. They should fell as being part of a single game but they don't. Cell mode should merge a little more with creature mode, creature mode with tribal mode, tribal mode and tribal mode with civ mode. Only civ mode and UFO mode overlap enough. But UFO mode is very unorganized. It doesn't feel like an exploration game at all when you are forced to stand by and protect your colonies ever 5 seconds.

I feel like I'm playing 5 different incomplete games instead of a single big one.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:10:51 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2008, 07:21:44 pm »

I felt tribal mode could been a little longer. <.<
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2008, 07:23:54 pm »

I'm hoping the game will be worthwhile buying in a year or so, after they've worked out the kinks and the price goes down.

Right now...I'm not going to go rush out and buy it. It may be pretty, and it may be fun in some ways, but a nasty DRM and poor gameplay make me a bit less enthusiastic.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2008, 08:02:25 pm »

My optimistic hope is that it will pull a Neverwinter Nights 2, and will improve greatly with patches...

But I will shove my criticisms onto it.

All of it:
1. Optimization: It may just be that my graphics card sucks... But it's really inexcusable when I have the graphics at the lowest settings, have 3 times the amount of RAM needed, and it still lags like fucking hell.
2. Lack of herbivores: With Maxis creatures only, and especially with player content... I find it to be this because how much it sucks to be a herbivore in the cell stage, which is even furthered in the creature phase due to tons of the creatures being initially hostile, and the ones that aren't have high social stats making the nonconvertible. Which in turn will lead to even more carnivorous creatures to be made...

Cell Stage:
1. Mating Cells: It doesn't lower the quality that much, but it makes no damn sense at all from both a realistic standpoint , and a programming standpoint... I mean the only thing that it benefits from is that it prevents cheap escapes from death even though that can still, and often does happen using this system. So the point is that they (the developers) could of just let us lay the egg, and spend more time on something more important.
2. Being a herbivore sucks: There's a hell lot more meat than plants.

Creature Stage:
1. Lack of blood: OK there was "blood" in the cell stage, blood in the previews... But where is it here?
2. Friend System: ....... The whole bloody thing sounds, and is ridiculous. Along with the problem I pointed out in the lack of herbivores section, the thing is also pretty damn unrealistic, and I was expecting this kind of shit to only start happening in the tribal stage, and above.
3. Unlocking Mouths: Why did I only get fucking mouths for carnivores, when I need one for a omnivore? (It seems to be based too much on your interactions with other creatures.)
4. Hunting to extinction: May I actually kill all of them instead of killing a certain amount then have them all float up and disappear in a bright flash of light?
6. Health gained from brain levels is ridiculous: Say what happened to the idea of good creature design?
7. No need to defend nest: I would understand this happening on easy mode... But the fact I don't have to defend my home from hordes of nasties that want to eat my precious eggs is really disappointing. (I'm playing hard.)
8. Action is focused too much on nests:  This one by far is the biggest disappointments for this stage so far. I want to actually hunt creatures, I want to be in constant danger whenever  I go to eat food as a herbivore, IO want to see herds of creatures traveling the plains of the planets, I want my evolution points to be based on eating instead of this interactions with creatures shit!

Editors:
1. Stats are based on the strongest part instead of adding: I can make a one armed, one handed creature that's just as strong, and fast as a creature with 20 legs, and 10 arms. What were you thinking EA...
2. Stats cap at 5: I do want to make mega creatures... I'm sure the complexity meter could balance things out quite fine.

Criticisms:
1. Based way too much on DRM.

*Sigh* (I've only played the 2 phases so far.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:13:29 pm by Okenido »

alphafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »

Anyone want to help start a Spore roguelike project?

Sounds good. Really. Is that just a random idea, or are you going to really work at something?
I'd be tentatively interested in that as well. If this gets serious, PM me, send E-Mail, whatever

@General Topic:
I'm currently SO glad I didn't buy Spore... Maybe in a year or so when all 50 expansion packs so far get bundled as the "Spore-as-it-was-supposed-to-be-pack" and sold at discount price...
Maybe then I'll buy it.
Urist cancels write signature: Interrupted by DF Release

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »

Creature phase is a glorified but ultimately very simple RPG. And I hate spore's quest system in general. Where's the openness they talk about? Either you do things peacefully or aggressively. There are no other ways or ends.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:26:04 pm by Zemat »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2008, 09:27:53 pm »

Sounds good. Really. Is that just a random idea, or are you going to really work at something?
I'd be tentatively interested in that as well. If this gets serious, PM me, send E-Mail, whatever
I will join in. I'm a good programmer too, if I may say so.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:45 pm »

I will join in. I'm a good programmer too, if I may say so.

Hey I want to join too. I have a half done sprite engine in C++ SDL\Lua which might be useful as a base for the rest of the code. It includes a working implementation of a Mersenne Twister (Random number generator) and 3d Perlin Noise for planetary surface generation. Give me a PM.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:55:13 pm by Zemat »

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #308 on: September 08, 2008, 10:03:51 pm »

I found that your overall diet in the introductionary, celluar, phase. Determined your creature's diet.

Sounds like you did not eat enough veggies! >83
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 08, 2008, 10:45:30 pm »

ravensgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Toad Preservation Society
« Reply #310 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:52 pm »

4. Hunting to extinction: May I actually kill all of them instead of killing a certain amount then have them all float up and disappear in a bright flash of light?

Sounds like they were Raptured.  Perhaps their gods knew of the coming "apocalypse" (e.g. you) and pulled them out before it got ugly?  :P
Proud member of the Toad Preservation Society
The system you've always wanted is here.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2008, 11:22:58 pm »

WTF

Oh, and somehow starting a new game has somehow managed to cut my crashing down to about once per hour, which is playable by my standards. Still a bit annoying, though. Still trying to get to the tribal stage. For the record, I'm playing an herbivore.

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2008, 12:07:57 am »

"Incredible...IGN and its bullshitting is getting very annoying. [..well not that the other "big" gamer sites are better..]"

That's not bullshitting. That's "I don't like this game but I'm desperately trying to force myself to think otherwise because it had so much potential." It's something I've been seeing since some of the more recent hands-on demos at... trade events or whatever you call those things.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:28 am »

Hype and pressure killed this game.

I dont agree. Hype or pressure, is that matters at all? Hyped but decent game is still a decent game. The problem is that Spore is bad, very bad..the only positive stuff about it, that it will be an excellent software for small kids. I would say that 10-12 years olds will love it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2008, 07:42:21 am »

Hype, pressure, developer name, brand name, they all count. Deus Ex 2 was only a bad game because of the name. Everyone expected it to be better than Deus Ex, and got a nice, but different game instead. Those who liked Deus Ex didn't like Deus Ex 2, although it was very nicely done.

Here, same thing. Besides the fact that Will Wright is making the game, we were promised a great amount of great features. We expected those features, especially since it was said that they were already done. And the features weren't there. And the game turned out to be a children's sandbox instead of an evolution simulator.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 97