Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100206 times)

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #240 on: September 05, 2008, 08:57:30 pm »

I feel terrible for liking this game now. Seriously, can nobody else find even one single thing to like about this game?

Also, to anyone who's been watching the agme development from the start and didn't just find out this game existed a week or two ago, DON'T buy it. Not unless you're willing to look at it from an objective viewpoint and realise that, while it's not the awesome game it was originally intended to be, it is still a good game, and one of the first to use procedural walking animations (everyone's talked about 'em, but nobody's done 'em). Don't believe me? Walk up some hills, you'll see what I mean.

Also, Deon: what I meant was, great tracts of features in the game have been omitted from my review. And I like your creatures.

I reserve my final judgement for this game until at least the first expansion comes out. I've learned something about Maxis (and to a lesser extent EA) from The Sims - the game's never quite finished until the first few expansions get released.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 05, 2008, 09:33:35 pm »

I feel terrible for liking this game now. Seriously, can nobody else find even one single thing to like about this game?

Also, to anyone who's been watching the agme development from the start and didn't just find out this game existed a week or two ago, DON'T buy it. Not unless you're willing to look at it from an objective viewpoint and realise that, while it's not the awesome game it was originally intended to be, it is still a good game, and one of the first to use procedural walking animations (everyone's talked about 'em, but nobody's done 'em). Don't believe me? Walk up some hills, you'll see what I mean.

Also, Deon: what I meant was, great tracts of features in the game have been omitted from my review. And I like your creatures.

I reserve my final judgement for this game until at least the first expansion comes out. I've learned something about Maxis (and to a lesser extent EA) from The Sims - the game's never quite finished until the first few expansions get released.

I think I;m going to have to take your advice.  Otherwise, I'll just want the hours I spent watching those demo videos two years ago back.  I'm sure it's a worthwhile game to some extent, but from what it sounds they promised us the world and produced a snowglobe.  I don't feel like having my hopes crushed, nor paying for the privilege.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 05, 2008, 11:32:38 pm »

Sooo. I never had high hopes for Spore. Well, not exactly. The first time I saw that long demo, I was really impressed. I've been getting less and less impressed as subsequent demos never showed anything new and cemented my views that it'd basically be a lite version of about five other games. Needless to say, however, I don't have any systems this thing can run on and it seriously doesn't sound like something I want to drop 60 dollars on (especially when I just discovered that there are various magnolia species that can be grown indoors. Magnolia + dirt + new pot could easily be 60 dollars).

Let me talk about some old games for a second. I really like SimEarth. Yes, it's dry. Yes, it's confuse. Yes, it's a little too complex. On the other hand, you have some really serious flexibility there, a really fascinating underlying simulator, and only sissies complain about stuff being too complex. So, from my understanding, while Spore IS mostly focused on biology, there is a certain SimEarthishness to the Space portion of the game. So why can't we mess around with planet composition and atmospheric composition and "volcanoes-blowing-uppy-ness-ness"?

Then again, if the focus is on the biology -- and maybe I'm wrong -- but don't creatures stop evolving past the creature phase? That's not the problem I have here, so much. See, I'm sure a lot of you played the old Creatures games (which are now published by Gameware). Those games were pretty neat. Modeled tons of biochemical stuff, learning... and most importantly, genetics and evolution! Sure, your little furry animals wouldn't drastically change in *appearance* over time, but on a biological level, there'd be plenty of evolutiony stuff going on. Also, the things were pretty endearing and expressed emotion... well, at least as well as the things in Spore do, I'd imagine. So it's not like they sacrificed a cute, fluffy exterior for all the wonky, sciencey stuff on the interior (and truth be told, you really could just play it as a virtual pet game if you wanted).

Also, in regards to the Civilization mode... If you wanna go a hard simulator route, which Spore apparently isn't doing, there're the EU games, or one of the related titles like Crusader Kings. Very simmish. Or, if you go the more abstract and gamelike route (with some simmish stuff still in there), modelling the Civilization series as closely as possible would, uh, really work. Like, keep the mechanics nearly identical, and just shorten the gamelength by a bunch if you want to. Maybe shrink the technology tree. Whatever.

Anyway, I guess the first point I'm trying to make is that, from a game standpoint, the reviews of Spore make it sound really unbalanced and shallow -- a lack of solid mechanics, I guess?--, and from a simulator standpoint, if you look at what all of the old Sim games had, or the Creatures games, or the EU games, or whatever, what made them simulators is that if you messed with something, something else in the system would change as a consequence. And from my understanding, there aren't any simulator aspects here at all.

Except even non-simulator games frequently have SOME simmish aspects and that's why you get interesting emergent situations and behaviors.

So, in regards to the Space portion of the game, it did sort of miss the boat there. Star Control 2 had really strong writing and adventure game portions; the Starflight games weren't so heavy on the writing but still had some great RPG and adventure stuff going on. And Space Rangers 2, while... being RATHER lacking from a story/writing standpoint really succeeds in giving you tons of stuff to do and having a world where *things happen dynamically based on how technology and the state of the war are progressing*. It sounds like the Elite sequels. Only without an interesting trade model, and with some really simple empire building stuff thrown in.

Besides. In tribal phase, do your personally designed creatures ever do anything as interesting as a dorf?

I'm not saying it's sounds like a bad game, but if it really is just five lite versions of other games that are, generally, much better that what's shown here, isn't it a better use of my time to play those other games instead?

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 05, 2008, 11:44:53 pm »

Meh, it looks like a good game, the creature creator is game worthy itself and the concept is pretty cool.  Besides, you can't judge a game until you play it.  (unless it has a linear story with no free choice then it sucks automatically)

Also I just like the idea as starting as a bloody amoeba and eventually conquering the universe with said creature that started as that amoeba.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:48:05 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

I'm downloading it right now. From the sound of it, it's turning out to be exactly what I expected. Yay for pessimism! Anyhow, I'll probably have some fun with it. I like designing cool-looking shit; That's why I play Dwarf Fortress.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2008, 01:32:02 am »

Also I just like the idea as starting as a bloody amoeba and eventually conquering the universe with said creature that started as that amoeba.

Shame this game has no blood, ichor, goo, etc or any type of bodily fluid.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2008, 03:02:37 am »

I designed my race to be, well, catlike humanoids, except I never got to find cat-ears in the Creature phase (the aforementioned volcano incident prevented me). I was getting bored even in the tribal phase (spearmen RULE. Send your chief and one axeman up front, and have ten spearmen back them. ANYTHING gets owned.) The problem with the civ phase is that it took away that joy in taking a mass of the creatures you've been creating, armed to the teeth with weapons you've created, clad in armor you've created, and sending them to die against another city's turret defences. It's cartoonish not just in looks, but in the way it plays too. Anyways, I was so bored with the thing at that point, that I discovered a particularly hideous use for that nifty "screwbolt" accessory in the outfit constructor. I play military, so I don't see my own creatures often, but any time a religious civ converts my city with a massive image of a catman with a five-foot bolt up its uh... rectum, I laugh my own ass off. Awful I know, it just shows how much I'm bored with it. I really have that urge to start up Space Rangers now btw. It doesn't let you play evolution, but its text adventures are hilarious. Pizza-making contests, running a ski resort, solving crime puzzles, racing hell knows where on hell knows what....  that game has everything. Including a much more interesting (comparatively. It's still awful.) RTS mode.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2008, 05:26:58 am »

(unless it has a linear story with no free choice then it sucks automatically)

It's TOTALLY linear. I tried to play as a herbivore octopus-like species on the hardest level, and still it became harder only in aspect of taking more time from me.
Well, I do get those badges for completing game stages on the hardest level, but what's good in it?

I expected to see fl0w(in water)+Creatures(creature stage)+Settlers(tribe stage)+civilization(Civ stage)+space rangers(space stage) but it's basically worse than those games in each part. Well, I understand that EA won't make SO detailed game which has many other games included... But it was promised. Haha, we were screwed.
I still play it because I hope to find something worthwhile (knowing old good Maxis) and I do enjoy some small aspects of the game... Still the only good and the best simulation program/game is Dwarf Fortress.

P.S. Oh, how wrong I was. Sorry, it's better than fl0w in the cell stage. :) It makes the game. However fl0w is better in design and "realism" aspect IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FXFGIXRvc
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 05:29:27 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2008, 05:57:33 am »

I actually own Space Rangers 2, and I wonder if anyone else in the UK does.  I bought it in California but I've never seen or heard of it here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2008, 06:37:05 am »

Epic generalization.  There are plenty of good linear games:

Half Life 2
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Tomb Raider
FEAR was okay.
There are a lot more, but I just woke up.  Anyone care to supplement my pathetic list?
Shoes...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2008, 06:44:43 am »

Half Life 2
Tomb Raider
FEAR was okay.
There are a lot more, but I just woke up.  Anyone care to supplement my pathetic list?

I don't give a rats if someone enjoys a linear storyline, if it has a linear storyline, I DON'T LIKE IT.

Portal is the only linear game I even remotely got close to liking, and that was because of the song.
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2008, 06:49:16 am »

Please to be noting:

Unless you note otherwise, "It sucks" =/= "I don't like it".

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2008, 06:49:46 am »

Half Life 2
Tomb Raider
FEAR was okay.
Pretty much any good FPS/third-person shooter, so...

Max Payne
Jedi Knight II (Outcast > Jedi Academy)
Hitman (the whole series is kind of linear, in that you always do the same missions no matter which path you take to complete them...though it could be argued it was fairly nonlinear)
Thief (excellent series, Thief 3 tried to look nonlinear but in the end they were all linear, mission-based thievery)
Descent (going back a bit here...)

And from other genres...

Homeworld
Total Annihilation
Starcraft
Warcraft
Oh, screw it. Any RTS.

I actually own Space Rangers 2, and I wonder if anyone else in the UK does.  I bought it in California but I've never seen or heard of it here.
I've played it but I could never find it in the stores here (was it even published?) The text adventure parts were epic. Particularly when you got arrested and you had to text-adventure your way through your prison sentence. This is a lot more interesting when you consider it's the 'rough justice, rat on your cellmate or the warden will break your legs' kind of prison.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:51:28 am by Brendan »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 06, 2008, 07:09:41 am »

Please to be noting:

Unless you note otherwise, "It sucks" =/= "I don't like it".

It should of been easy to figure out of that it was my own opinion.

I just hate linear storylines with a passion, I play to make my own story, not play out someone elses. Its why I love grand strategy games, and games like X3 (non story enabled starts), and CERTAIN mmos (like EvE)  They allow me to play the game the way I feel and not restrict me to a certain plot.

For example, lets say HL2... in that game you have to follow this specific plot, you can walk around a little, but you have to follow this certain path that you can't deviate, if you play through it twice you will kill the exact same stuff and do exactly the same thing you did last time.  Thats boring and I hate games like that. 

EDIT: HL2 would be so much funner if you could say to the chick: "Screw you I don't want to fight the collumbine, I'mma go and build a farm, have fun and stuff"

RTS's I usually don't mind if they have a linear story because typical ones have a skirmish mode so I just play that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:19:37 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 06, 2008, 09:02:06 am »

Should *have*.  Also Combine.

Just saying- you save yourself trouble by making that clear in advance.  Add "IMO" and people will usually go along if you're not in their face, state it as a fact and they will disagree.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97