Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100157 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2008, 09:19:52 pm »

this reminds me. how does spore play like? has it lived up to most of your expectations so far?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2008, 05:16:15 am »

Kind of, my expectations dropped a lot with the recent videos that came, so my expectations are met but im not satisfied.
It became too simple and does not reward the player for desing in any way, Parts gives stats and stats is all that matters.
I guess the only stage im completly satisfied with would be the celluar, maybe some more parts would have been good. ;D

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2008, 05:20:36 am »

It's not exactly what i expected, soon in the space age.
The Demo I got worked with demon tools, i think they ripped out secrom as the same time as they added the exe that fixed the unable to start the game bug.

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2008, 06:43:08 am »

Yeah, I'm playing the Demo now too. It doesn't ask much of you, just don't try to register an account or go online with it. :)

As for expectations...  well, I think that once we got to fool around with the Creature Creator, our expectations went down like Enron (to quote Duke Nukem from Manhattan Project). The game is too cartooney to take it seriously, and it very much fails to be an evolution simulator. A true evolution simulator would give points for more actions, and require you to spend them on ANY alterations to the creature. Want to REMOVE the horns? Pay up. Want to shift that vertebra by a few centimeters upwards? Pay up. Like EVO did it. Even Pandemic 2, that flash virus creator game, got it right.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 04, 2008, 07:00:11 am »

*got his spore copy from Game today*

And it roxxors the boxxors! 1337 ftwbbq!1!h@@@@@x!1!

*cough*

In other words: it's quite good.
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2008, 07:36:36 am »

You bastards... ;D
So everyone fooling around with the "demo" version? Bleh! I rather wait for my copy to arrive, I dont like "demo versions".  ;D

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:31 am »

I'll get 'acquire' it within 15 minutes.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2008, 11:05:11 am »

Yeah, I'm playing the Demo now too. It doesn't ask much of you, just don't try to register an account or go online with it. :)

As for expectations...  well, I think that once we got to fool around with the Creature Creator, our expectations went down like Enron (to quote Duke Nukem from Manhattan Project). The game is too cartooney to take it seriously, and it very much fails to be an evolution simulator. A true evolution simulator would give points for more actions, and require you to spend them on ANY alterations to the creature. Want to REMOVE the horns? Pay up. Want to shift that vertebra by a few centimeters upwards? Pay up. Like EVO did it. Even Pandemic 2, that flash virus creator game, got it right.

I don't get it how people expected anymore than that. Since the first spore video ever from GDC 2006 the cartoony feel and fake-evolution (more like ID) where obvious. The only thing shown there that didn't made it to the final version was the 3d aquatic part. Also Will Wright mentioned a lot of stuff they wanted to add that never got made (flying creatures and customizable plants).
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 04, 2008, 02:10:12 pm »

Yes, well, the game is all fine and good as long as what you make can make a difference. While you're in the creature phase, it makes all the difference in the world, but from then onwards, whatever you design has absolutely no meaning whatsoever, from clothing you barely ever care to see, to blank box buildings that work just as good as megadetailed convention centers, to vehicles that don't care about their design and use only the engine/cannon ratio. Maybe space phase will be different once I get there, but civilisation phase is more boring than RTS mode in Space Rangers 2, and that's saying a lot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 04, 2008, 02:34:01 pm »

Civ phase seemed rather boring indeed, and yes, design seem to lack in the end.

The space phase seem to have quite a lot though - fly around, trade, do missions, explore (scan and abduct), colonize, and unlock a crapload of achievements in order to unlock new items etc that you can buy. Only just begun though so I can't really say yet how the overall package will be. Space combat is a bit of a drag though - rather hard to aim at enemies.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:23 pm »

Can we get a list of editors?  Will Wright said it was something like twelve.
Shoes...

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2008, 02:43:33 pm »

Yes, well, the game is all fine and good as long as what you make can make a difference. While you're in the creature phase, it makes all the difference in the world, but from then onwards, whatever you design has absolutely no meaning whatsoever, from clothing you barely ever care to see, to blank box buildings that work just as good as megadetailed convention centers, to vehicles that don't care about their design and use only the engine/cannon ratio. Maybe space phase will be different once I get there, but civilisation phase is more boring than RTS mode in Space Rangers 2, and that's saying a lot.

That's what I was saying was the impression I had about the game in general from the previews a few days back. Without the creature (and artifacts) creation and customization part the rest of the game seems too simplistic and dull. Only the space phase seemed interesting enough on its own. And now you killed my expectations over the civ phase :(

Also, from the creature creator I can tell they simplified the editors too much. I know the intention was to reduce file sizes as much as possible on creatures to allow fast network transfer but I think they went overboard. A little more options here and there, for example like allowing asymmetric designs and more individual parts (feet, hands, mouths) customization, would had added a lot more value to the editors and I don't think it would have affected file size that much.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:50:56 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2008, 02:59:47 pm »

EVO

Wow, somebody else who played EVO! Awesome.

Anyway, I'd try the Spore demo, but I think my laptop is too weak. Intel Graphics and all, unless it runs as fast or preferably a bit faster than the creature creator, it's hopeless.

I kinda had the most hope for the space phase, so I hope it's pretty good. It reminded me of Populous slightly, and I like sandboxy games...

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2008, 05:19:28 pm »

Wow, somebody else who played EVO! Awesome.
I have also played EVO! ;D

I'm really looking forward to trying out the space phase, and at least I don't have to look at my googly-eyed horrors then if I can't make a sane looking race.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2008, 05:35:20 pm »

yeah, finished EVO in one sitting, killed the endboss with an antilope IIRC.

I didn't get the idea of the huge cells in stage 1... I kill one after a prolonged campaign and get nothing special in return, while those tiny critters give food and DNA...?

It plays rather quickly, I'm halfway the creature phase after only an hour of play (at normal difficulty).
Probably 'hardest mode' will make it more challenging.

Anyway after so much waiting I'm thrilled to finally have it on my platters, my only regret is: I only have little time to even get near my PC the next ten days.

ps It installs in any language you prefer. :D
pps Maybe I need to mess with my router again, I only get 'Maxis' creations and my own. (?)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 97