Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100095 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2008, 05:50:19 pm »

i was referring to stuff like ssbm/b those ratings don't seem right to me.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2008, 06:02:01 pm »

Combat movie from the gold version. No more blood, besides some weird blueish smoke, but you can still eat your enemies and hump your friends.

Btw, spore is made by maxis, I'm sure there will be 20+ expansions. Some with stuff you all complain they left out of the actual game. They ran short of time and wanted it to be polished... That's what happens when you're in a schedule and you're maxis.

The sims was a success whether we old people like it or not, so they're following some of the same guidelines. Course, it's not about teenager angst and drama, so I might like it more than the sims.

And I'm sure someone will mod in blood. It's just a matter of time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:04:28 pm by Soulwynd »

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2008, 06:12:46 pm »

ah good it still looks fun.
shame me an my bro cant play at the sime time because of securom

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2008, 06:16:28 pm »

You can... It's limited to 3 installs.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2008, 06:22:49 pm »

wait i thought you have to have some sort of disc in your drive. did i just read something wrong or is the interwebz wrong? because that would be very shocking if the interwebz is wrong! i mean everything on there is true right? right?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2008, 06:25:36 pm »

You keep saying interwebz but never thought of using a crack? tsk tsk tsk.

I pre-bought it and I'm still using a crack, like hell I will place a dvd in my drive to play a game.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2008, 06:33:39 pm »

whats a crack is it some sort of digital substitute for a dvd that doesnt do anything other than replace the dvd?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2008, 07:08:46 pm »

No, it's a digital substitute for the game's executable file(s) that consists of largely the same executable with some stuff welded inbetween to bypass whatever protection the game uses. On SecuRom-protected games, the cracked exe is usually of smaller size. On StarForce-protected games, usually larger. The point is, it allows you, as a legitimate owner of a game, to play the said game without worrying for your precious disk, and it also allows you to make backup copies of said disc.
Sometimes, the cracks even fix bugs (as with many SF3.0-protected titles) or bring some more common sense besides just keeping the disk out - I suspect that the crack for Spore will just as well disable the said install limit. Or rather, remove the need to authenticate the new install, allowing to play the game, registered legal CD-key and all, without worrying about OpSys or hardware changes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2008, 07:29:46 pm »

thanks bu regardless this secur-rom thing was a new development for me.
before this i had never heard of anything like secur-rom before i saw this thread i thought all i would need was a key gen and thhe whole concept of secur-rom isnt very safe.
at all. if theres something that can produce a legitimate code for a game and be able to play it then i dont think anything can stop pirates/hackers.
except dogs and curtains of course.
EDIT: also hearing something like spore had something like securrom is like the feeling you get when as a kid your told santa isnt real :'(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:29:54 pm by Dragooble »

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2008, 11:06:36 pm »

Secu-ROM (if you're going to be technical) is old hat. There are emulators for it, even. All it does is makes sure there's a legitimate disk (with Secu-ROM protection) in a drive.

More recent versions contacted Secu-ROM's website periodically, but the backlash from this forced Secu-ROM to scale back the 'call-home' thing to once at install.

It's still easy to get around. But really, as a legitimate gamer, is it that big a deal for you? Would you really do something illegal just because doing the 'right thing' is inconvenient? If so, I weep for you, because the world is full of situations where doing the wrong thing is so much easier.

Bottom line: Would you rob a small grocery store because it's easier than doing an honest day's work?
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2008, 11:36:25 pm »

wait there are emulators for it?
i dont really like the idea of doing illegal things that much to be honest.
in fact if there was a way me and my bro could play at the same time with secur-rom i wouldnt really mind it so much. if the emulators for it are legal then i would get em. im just against secur-rom because its inconvenient and doesnt do a very good job at what its supposed to do.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2008, 11:52:46 pm »

Secu-ROM (if you're going to be technical) is old hat. There are emulators for it, even. All it does is makes sure there's a legitimate disk (with Secu-ROM protection) in a drive.

More recent versions contacted Secu-ROM's website periodically, but the backlash from this forced Secu-ROM to scale back the 'call-home' thing to once at install.

It's still easy to get around. But really, as a legitimate gamer, is it that big a deal for you? Would you really do something illegal just because doing the 'right thing' is inconvenient? If so, I weep for you, because the world is full of situations where doing the wrong thing is so much easier.

Bottom line: Would you rob a small grocery store because it's easier than doing an honest day's work?
At least you aren't being inflammatory! Anyway, video game publishers need to stop making honest customers who do the "right thing" deal with inconveniences to begin with. Game purchasers aren't criminals! And ironically enough, it's the "criminals" who don't have to deal with the inconveniences that the people doing the "right thing" have to deal with.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2008, 12:02:16 am »

precisely and really its making the game developers look stupid.
because of people easily bypassing their attempt to make there game "un-pirateable" it reminds me of the hindenburg and the titanic

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2008, 01:25:07 am »

I actually bought Supreme Commander (in its Russian-localized form) only because the 3220 patch stripped the game of its SecuRom (StarForce for us) protection. Interestingly, the patch notes said that the protection would not be removed from russian-localized versions. I guess either they were wrong, or me switching the game's language to english was right. :P

The anti-piracy concept is really an anachronism now. Since more and more games go into multiplayer, it's only logical to have the games be devoid of any sort of copy protection, with only a unique serial key to log into the servers. Less hassle for legitimate users, less incentive to buy (or otherwise obtain) pirated copies.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2008, 03:11:42 am »

Of course. Because not having copy right protection on a game makes everyone who buys that game just as bad as a burglar? ???

I really don't see what you're getting at here. Pirates will pirate a game regardless of its security. The only people who have to suffer from things like SecuROM and Starforce are the software purchasers.

Would you really do something illegal just because doing the 'right thing' is inconvenient? If so, I weep for you, because the world is full of situations where doing the wrong thing is so much easier.

In my opinion, using cracks to get around extremely inconvenient copyright protection systems after PURCHASING a game is about as illegal as recording a TV program so that you can fast-forward through the commercial breaks. And I've yet to see anyone be arrested, or even have a lawsuit leveled upon them, for using a No-CD crack.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 03:15:02 am by Brendan »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 97