Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100090 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2008, 05:43:18 pm »

Only a couple of more days, and Spore will be released. Im really wondering how good the game will be actually. Gonna buy it for sure anyways.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2008, 05:55:34 pm »

I dunno. I'll read a few reviews, a few forums, get a pirated copy, and maybe then buy it. I don't really need all that online aspect of it, not in the least if it is coupled with the DRM restrictions.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2008, 06:00:48 pm »

I dunno. I'll read a few reviews, a few forums, get a pirated copy, and maybe then buy it. I don't really need all that online aspect of it, not in the least if it is coupled with the DRM restrictions.

Ok but wait, I thought that you must be connected to a master server all the time. I read something, that the galaxy will be populated with player created creatures, and the game will download those from the net automatically. Hm but again, I dont know that this is true or not at all..

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2008, 06:03:02 pm »

Only a couple of more days, and Spore will be released. Im really wondering how good the game will be actually. Gonna buy it for sure anyways.

This is my prediction:

The actual game (ie. the stages), sans user customization and sporepedia, will be actually very simple and boring, except for the space stage which seems compelling enough on itself. But the editors will be so complex and fun we'll love it anyway.

Edit: Damnit I want it now!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 06:36:01 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2008, 06:18:32 pm »

This is my prediction:

The actual game (ie. the stages), sans user customization and sporepedia, will be actually very simple and boring, except for the space stage which seems compelling enough on itself. But the editors will be so complex and fun we'll love it anyway.

Edit: Damint I want it now!

Yeah, the space stage looks like awesome.  ;D

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2008, 07:04:59 pm »

Space will probably be my favorite stage.
by the way I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me doing a spore forum game here after the game comes out?
for those who don't know what a spore forum game is.
http://www.xspore.com/community/spore-games/8922-wolff-s-new-spore-game.html
there's one example of the game.
If there's no interest then I wont even start it, but if there's some then I will.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2008, 07:42:27 pm »

I haven't seen a good Spore Game since the days of the classic Troggus story...

But I'm interested.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2008, 08:00:45 pm »

This is my prediction:

Edit: Damnit I want it now!

Of course the stages will be simple. They're supposed to increase in difficulty and complexity as you advance through the game. Now, i don't think they'll be boring though. I for one am particularly looking forward to creature mode.

Of course space looks the best of the stages, it's the most complex. They help you by leading you up to it in the earlier stages.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2008, 08:46:10 pm »

Watch some of the gold version trailers on gamespot. The stages seem to be complex enough, specially with the fact that you're always buying things for your creatures and changing them slowly, which is what the game is all about, not the stages themselves. I also thought they would have a real poor gameplay, but I was surprised with the complexity of the civilization stage. It's not extremely complex, but it's not something simple and dull either. *shrugs* Seems to be alright, can't say more until I actually play it.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2008, 10:19:17 pm »

I used to have extremely high hopes for the game but the amount of hype somehow lowered my expectations. Which is good because I know now I probably enjoy it more like that.

I also like it's simplicity. At this age I don't want to get bothered with heavy thinking tasks after work.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2008, 11:59:47 pm »

Tormy: if that were the case, nobody would be against online activations every N days. Also, the game would sell very poorly in Russia. No, Spore is an offline game, it only needs the online to populate Sporepedia with stuff from the internet, and to shove your stuff onto the servers. Personally, I want to know exactly what I'm downloading, and I'll rather make all the creatures in the universe myself than rely on whatever rating system they implemented to download stuff for me.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2008, 12:34:28 am »

In regards to the gameplay before the Space Stage being simple and boring... are we talking fl0w kind of 'simple' and 'boring'? Or mind-numbingly dull, like Cyber Tiger?

(Also note this was one of the more favourable reviews for it... the Official PlayStation Magazine back when it came out gave it their very first 1...)
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2008, 12:55:58 am »

Flow entertained me for about one hour and that was it. And I'm pretty sure it has more content than Spore's cell phase if you strip it of the creature creation part. But that's the whole point of Spore. Not the phase gameplay or the creature creation by separate. But the phase gameplay and the creature creation together. This is a case where something is much greater than the sum of it's parts.

Edit: I just watched new videos of the civilization phase and it seems to be complex enough to be a game of it's own. 8)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:12:22 am by Zemat »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2008, 06:43:55 am »

I just watched the civ phase video too, but one of the first sentences has me scared, "When you start out you're either a military civilization, economic, or religious"

Why can't we be all three?  Why can't I trade with one city, and purge infidels with my war machines in another?  Also, no foot soldiers?  I want to hear Wooglefoobies or whatever Spore calls them screaming for their mothers in the trenches as the Gobblestomp menace hurls canisters of Wubbyhubby gas at them.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2008, 07:03:29 am »

I think he referred to starting as a civ right away, as opposed to progressing to the stage through the course of the game. At least, that's what I remember from some interview.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 97