Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100053 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 03:10:34 pm »

Isn't there something unconstitutional about a company intruding on my privacy every time I use the product I bought?  For all we know, they are reading my email every time I run the game.

I'm sorry, but when did my business playing a game I own become somebody else's business?  If the powers that be are so concerned with me doing something "illegal" that they need to intrude on my privacy, then there is something wrong with their system, not my freedom.

I am buying a product, just like any other product.  When I buy a vaccum, does the company need to come by every 10 days and rummage through my house to make sure I haven't hacked it to try to give it away to my friends?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »

Either way I dont understand that why this game needs to have securom protection at all.
You will have to validate the game online in order to play. That should be totally enough.
Pirates will crack the online validation + securom also, so basically EA is just f*cking with the players who will actually buy the game... >:(

You don't need an account to play spore. So you don't have to validate online as in, username/password. You don't have to be online to play it at all. This is why mmorpgs don't use securom and spore does.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 03:55:31 pm »

Isn't there something unconstitutional about a company intruding on my privacy every time I use the product I bought?  For all we know, they are reading my email every time I run the game.

I'm sorry, but when did my business playing a game I own become somebody else's business?  If the powers that be are so concerned with me doing something "illegal" that they need to intrude on my privacy, then there is something wrong with their system, not my freedom.

I am buying a product, just like any other product.  When I buy a vaccum, does the company need to come by every 10 days and rummage through my house to make sure I haven't hacked it to try to give it away to my friends?

I personally don't mind, because SecuRom gives you back your install if you register it online and it registers an uninstall, and unless your buying 3 new pcs or reformatting constantly, then 4 or 3 is enough.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 04:32:25 pm »

Either way I dont understand that why this game needs to have securom protection at all.
You will have to validate the game online in order to play. That should be totally enough.
Pirates will crack the online validation + securom also, so basically EA is just f*cking with the players who will actually buy the game... >:(

You don't need an account to play spore. So you don't have to validate online as in, username/password. You don't have to be online to play it at all. This is why mmorpgs don't use securom and spore does.

Yeah thats makes sense..the problem is that pirates will easily crack that securom also.  ::)
They have even cracked Starforce, and that used hardware encryptions...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:17 pm »

100 installs isn't enough, and not because you won't need that many.  It's not enough because it's completely ridiculous that the number of times we can install a game is being restricted to stop piracy.  That's like banning paper because people use it to roll marijuana.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2008, 06:08:33 pm »

Oh, pirates can do anything, I've done anything myself.

Back in the day our tutorial on cracking was to crack the debugger you used to crack itself. I even got an email from the FBI about the reveng info I had posted in a shady site.

It's one of the reasons securom doesn't bother as much as starforce does. Both can be bypassed, securom can even be bypassed without cracks. But starforce is nasty to your system.

As for Cthulhu posts, software owning is a shady thing legally. At the moment, you don't own software, you may own the physical media if that's what you bought, but the installed (usable) form is based on licensing, so even if you buy your software with a physical media, what you're actually buying is the driver's license you need to take it for a spin. So yeah, they can say "This software is for one computer only." or "You can only install this version of windows in one home PC." or "Yeah, with corporate windows, you can install it in 100 commercial PCs." or even "Only 3 installs allowed.".

Specially for business, faulty licenses can get you sued, taxed, jailed, etc.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2008, 06:59:50 pm »

Curses.  So what did the email say?
Shoes...

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2008, 07:10:13 pm »

Curses.  So what did the email say?
We hereby declare you are officially found guilty and shall be approached by a hammerer soon. Contact your lawyer to find out how many strikes you shall get.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 08:25:20 pm »

Actually, it didn't contain a single threat, only that it contained material that taught people how to do illegal things and since it was hosted in an american server, they had it removed. Free speech my ass eh?

I have no idea how they got a hold of it anyway. I guess it ended up in altavista at the time or maybe the geocities people peeked at it and reported it. Yes, it was in geocities, simply because at the time, it was a small hosting site that didn't put much between you and hosting a file, that changed pretty quickly.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2008, 10:13:54 am »

About the "gone gold" thing, I think it's a hold-over from the old vinyl days. It seems that the first "master" copy they make is made out of gold because it retains the data better over many replays (copies) or whatever. Like how they filled that Voyager probe with gold records. There's a big chance also that I'm pulling this info out of my ass.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2008, 11:01:43 am »

We need to sell shirts that say "NO DRM BASTARDS". At cost I should think.

The FBI is so worried about someone telling you how to crack a free debugger, but they're happy to see a company installing malware on your computer. Something tells me it has more to do with how much money a criminal has than what he actually does. We're just regular people, so we're the most vulnerable to oppression.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2008, 01:39:49 pm »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2008, 02:50:11 pm »

[img=http://torrentfreak.com/images/anti-drm14.jpg[/img]

I don't get this one?
I assume it has something to do with hex editing, but what does it say in the arm on the right, to the right and above "DRM"?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »

I don't get this one?
I assume it has something to do with hex editing, but what does it say in the arm on the right, to the right and above "DRM"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS_encryption_key_controversy

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 06:22:07 pm »

It's the encryption key to AACS.

It says "AACS DRM GAMEOVER"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 97