Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100238 times)

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #945 on: January 11, 2009, 07:46:45 am »

I don't think it's fanboy-ism, just a resentment of lack of content. Bystander's opinion though :p

Not that there's much more to be said about spore. I've tried firing it up again a few (3) times in the last fortnight simply to see if I can wring even a little bit of fun out of it, but have failed utterly each time to get anything approximating *entertainment* out of it. It's like trying to get gameplay out of some sort of very simple 3DS MAX tutorial. Interesting enough the first time you've used something like it, but without some sort of genuine sandbox (IE, one that involves making things do stuff that affect other things, causing interesting things to happen), there's no point even picking it up again after completion.

...Or in my case, no point picking it up after playing 2 hours into the space stage. I lasted longer with the sims when I was young, where all I ever did was try and get babies taken off families and apply the non-pixellated patch. Wow, I can fly to planets and then through a series of grind-tackular mechanisms, make them pretty much exactly like my homeworld which I feel absolutely no emotional attachment to? Fly back and forth between some planets trading 'spice' so I can afford better tools to make a more homogeneous galactic sector? Turn the sound off so interacting with any populated planet or civilisation at all doesn't result in the most intensely annoying mess of sounds I can remember hearing? Sounds like I totally didn't waste my money on crap!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:52:52 am by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:27 am »

most common argument of people who like spore

"I like driving around looking ot the scenery." im serious they say that.

3 trees, 3 bushes, and 3 shrubs with an single colored sky and ocean.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 11, 2009, 02:23:08 pm »

I still like Spore. I just don't feel like reinstalling it.

Go read the last 63 pages or just stop being such a blatant fanboy

Well I guess... if Fanboy means someone who was always right... but I doubt it.... Since frankly "No amounts of mods can fix Spore" is blatant Trolling anyhow. while "Stop trolling" isn't Blatant Fanboyism.

Can we all get around insulting eachother?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 11, 2009, 02:39:51 pm »

Well I guess... if Fanboy means someone who was always right... but I doubt it.... Since frankly "No amounts of mods can fix Spore" is blatant Trolling anyhow. while "Stop trolling" isn't Blatant Fanboyism.

You're being egotistical about being a fanboy, how cute.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 11, 2009, 02:42:58 pm »

You're being egotistical about being a fanboy, how cute

:-[

What is it about Spore that makes everyone want to insult everyone else?

Anyhow Torak... Define Fanboy

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 11, 2009, 02:50:20 pm »

Anyhow Torak... Define Fanboy

Every last post of yours in this topic has around the same amount of content that supports your thoughts as Spore being a 'good game,' while you ridicule the people who give the same arguements for why it's a bad game.

So,

Fanboy (Noun):
Neonivek.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 11, 2009, 02:55:45 pm »

Fanboy (Noun):
Neonivek.

Then if that is the definition of a Fanboy then I agree. I also love being myself a great deal.

Though... I this is my only account... so it is hard for me to believe so many people here are myself

you ridicule the people who give the same arguements for why it's a bad game.

Only people who give really bad reasons or exagerate out of control. Though it isn't so much Redicule as "Counter point". Though I guess if you take that as ridicule I guess I am rediculing you.

Compared that the people in support of Spore don't exactly exagerate or make up information... it is hard to really as you seem to define it "Redicule" them.

Though people love to "Ridicule" them with very "Rediculous" statements.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 11, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »

Only people who give really bad reasons or exagerate out of control. Though it isn't so much Redicule as "Counter point". Though I guess if you take that as ridicule I guess I am rediculing you.

Compared that the people in support of Spore don't exactly exagerate or make up information... it is hard to really as you seem to define it "Redicule" them.

Though people love to "Ridicule" them with very "Rediculous" statements.

Go nurse your pride on fallacies somewhere else, I'm not going to even bother attempting to communicate with you as you seem to think you're the smartest here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 11, 2009, 03:23:39 pm »

Crikey, people are still talking about this?  Seriously, let the game go.  Play some Dungeon Crawl or Survival Crisis Z or something, blow some steam.  Spore wasn't what we were hoping for, and it's not gonna be.  It's nothing more or less than what it actually ended up being.  It's old news, there's no need to keep picking at the scab.  Perfectly alright to play it, perfectly alright to avoid playing it.

But it's over.  The time limit for discussing it is over.  Come on, this has gone on for 63 pages, find something fun to do.  Kill some zombies or something.  Find an old copy of Soldier of Fortune and laugh at the delightfully chunky gore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 11, 2009, 03:25:30 pm »

Go nurse your pride on fallacies

That would imply that my Pride was injured.

You should probably rewrite that

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 11, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »

What is there to say in support of Spore though? What exactly did it achieve? It doesn't even have the attraction of the Sims, where you at least thought you have some effect. Mind you, I dislike Sims as well.

I can like a game where you have to care for something and make it grow into something bigger - especially if the something in question is a battleship of some kind :) - except that game better damn have a point in it somewhere, something you can do that actually influences the existence of what you create. I can't see a point in Spore. There isn't a damn thing that you can do that would actually do something in the world. Creature design got turned into the replacement for an action/RPG inventory screen, with effectively infinite money and no trading. The design of everything else doesn't even matter, and the only thing you can change with each playthrough doesn't have anything to do with the main strength of the game, which are the content editors.

I can see a point in games like "Theme <something>" or "<something> Tycoon", because the design choices you make have a tangible and visible effect. I can see a point in some obscure MMORTS'es that seem to have buildings built by real-world construction crews in realtime (no other reason I can see for it to take several days), because again, the choices you make have a definite effect and nothing is wasted. I can even see a point in Noctis, for heaven's sake, Spore can't have even that despite millions of contributing players and a whole galaxy of worlds. I'm not making stuff up, just plain stating the facts that I know about the game. It's got scale, but is infinitely shallow, like if they took the island of Morrowind and stretched it out across the galaxy.

Kagus, sometimes it's better to restate a point than to keep silent and have your opinion lost in history.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 11, 2009, 03:44:09 pm »

"What is there to say in support of Spore though?"

Well let me see
1) it is fun on some level.
2) It allows you to customise creatures, vehicles, and buildings using preset parts

Done... I don't need to go further then that

The game isn't worthless... You need to get out of that mindset as the game

I don't say the game is the unconditional greatest game ever... please don't say that it is unconditionally the worst game ever. (though when I say it... I usually say "I am biased"... which if you did... Id have no problem with your statements)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 11, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »

It's not the worst game ever, I'll give you that. It's just the worst game currently. :) While indeed fun on some level, and allowing to customize the elements of the game, it is still rather pointless.

I'm not saying that playing it is an atrocity against decency or mankind, but you'll have to agree, a game that is so successful despite being over-priced, over-hyped, and lacking any kind of lasting appeal...  it's really an example of a very evil game. If I take a philosophic approach, it is The Game (you lost btw), the one most publishers hope to have - it sells great despite ultimately being mediocre at best. There were far worse commercial games, but ultimately they weren't successful. Spore is just an example of what I think is the evil in game development - it is created for the sole purpose of making money, stopping at very little to achieve that goal. Where other games are made with at least some consideration for the players, this one was plain moneymaking. Even the demo of it (the CC) wasn't free. Modding is another aspect they chose to lock out in favor of making more money. I really have a right to despise such games.

Alright, I'll try to stop before I go on another of my trademark rants about the nature of the universe. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 11, 2009, 08:05:15 pm »

You can't have a trademark rant if no one has ever seen you rant. Can't say I've ever seen it.

Do Russian rants involve a lot of vodka and bountiful bosoms wrapped in tight red leather? Because I'd totally dig those.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 11, 2009, 09:03:01 pm »

Do Russian rants involve a lot of vodka and bountiful bosoms wrapped in tight red leather?

I think in the years that steriotype would have been applicable... I don't think they had Red Leather.

That... and who has rants involving alcohol and scantly clad highly endowed women... or men?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:05:30 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 97