Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100365 times)

Darkwind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #495 on: September 18, 2008, 07:24:50 pm »

. . .

Wow. You guys really hate this game, don't you? I'm not quite sure if some of you ever gave it a chance. Let's face it, how many games (or game developers, or producers, or whatever) could live up to Spore's expectations? It promised to fly to the moon and, well, it didn't, but not many games do. There are definitely other reasons to be disappointed in the game (I personally find the tribal stage rather boring, and it's true that it's quite simplistic), but one of the major ones is that it didn't live up to the hype (hype that was quite hard to live up to, I think). Could you guys (I'm sure some of you, maybe even most of you have, but some of you definitely have not) at least give the game a break and view it apart from the hype? It was promised (or you just think it was promised but since I can't honestly remember what was actually promised and what was just part of the massive hypefest I'll leave that alone) to be something that I doubt even DF lives up to.

someone is going to point out that df is only an alpha i just know it

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 18, 2008, 07:33:42 pm »

. . .

Wow. You guys really hate this game, don't you? I'm not quite sure if some of you ever gave it a chance.

Excuse you?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:09 pm »

. . .

Wow. You guys really hate this game, don't you? I'm not quite sure if some of you ever gave it a chance. Let's face it, how many games (or game developers, or producers, or whatever) could live up to Spore's expectations? It promised to fly to the moon and, well, it didn't, but not many games do. There are definitely other reasons to be disappointed in the game (I personally find the tribal stage rather boring, and it's true that it's quite simplistic), but one of the major ones is that it didn't live up to the hype (hype that was quite hard to live up to, I think). Could you guys (I'm sure some of you, maybe even most of you have, but some of you definitely have not) at least give the game a break and view it apart from the hype? It was promised (or you just think it was promised but since I can't honestly remember what was actually promised and what was just part of the massive hypefest I'll leave that alone) to be something that I doubt even DF lives up to.

Holy Parentheses, Batman.

If you want to refresh your memories about the hype and promises, the movies are still on YouTube.

Yes, people do hate it.  But as a general rule, they've played it.  Surely that counts as giving it a chance?  I wouldn't ask those who have uninstalled it to try again, they've only got two installs left.

Besides which, why do other people's opinions on a video game matter so much to you anyway?  You shouldn't let them interfere with your own enjoyment, which in this subjective realm is all that really matters.

It was promised (parentheses) to be something that I doubt even DF lives up to.

Oh no he di-in't!
Let's look at the facts- Spore had years of development by a full, well-funded team headed by one of the biggest names in the industry and backed by one of the biggest publishers.  Perhaps it could have been what Wright told us it would, in some other universe.  Who knows?

DF, on the other hand, is one man's labour of love, funded only by voluntary donations of random strangers.  You caaaaan't really compare them that way.

But since you did bring it up, while DF has a different vision it already has a level of detail that dwarfs (haha) anything Spore ever aspired to.  And that's just the alpha.  (Yes, I said it.  There's a reason it was bound to come up- anticipation doesn't mean it's not a valid point).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 09:30:04 pm by McDoomhammer »
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 18, 2008, 10:32:41 pm »

. . .

Maybe you don't understand how much of a failure spore is.
--------------------------------------------
Let's say I bump into you on the street.  We (in this example) haven't seen each other in a while.  I mention that I'm developing this really cool "flying car" idea.  It's going to be great.  Naturally, you're excited at the concept of a flying car, who wouldn't be!  You've been waiting for a flying car for years and can't imagine how much it would change the world of automobiles.  So I take you to my garage and show you this flying car prototype I made.

Now, the car doesn't exactly look pretty and it's loud as hell.  But it flies dammit.  It can hover on the ground or zoom through the air like Back to the Future's DeLorean, it's even got a Mr. Fusion.  That's right, no gas! It's wonderful.  We say our goodbyes and you leave.

A few years later we bump into each other again at a car trade show.  My talents (and ideas) have been noticed by the auto community and by my employer.  A lot of hype has been built up about my new flying car.  So I give a presentation at the show about the flying car, showing it like I showed you.  It can still fly, but I decide to focus more on the hovering this time around.  It hovers great, it looks a little better, and I even got the equipment to run a little quieter.  The Mr. Fusion can power the car still, but it can't use any old garbage, just "Mr. Fusion pellets" along with the backup gas tank. Oh well, it's still fusion!  Everyone loves it.

A few years pass, with me releasing tidbits about the car and what it can do, how many mpg it gets, top speed, etc.  Then we meet up again.  "How's the car?" you ask.  I take you to my brand-new multi-million dollar garage (paid for by my company because of all the hype the car's gotten).  And there it is: sporty, sleek, shiny.  It's great looking.  I turn it on and let it hover a bit.  It's still a little loud, but no more than an average car now.  "How's it fly?" you ask.  I avoid the question and talk about some of the new frame improvements and how we're using a lighter material and how there is now SIX cup holders.

Some time passes.  To increase interest in the flying car, and to reward those people who've been following my progress through the last few years, my company releases a "hover kit".  This kit allows people who drive normal cars to experience the thrill of one of the flying car's neatest features: hovering.  Well, it lets their cars hover a little bit, not the full amount.  It's a huge success, people love testing out the hover kit on their cars.  Being able to experience a small part of the future flying car only serves to make people more excited about its release.

A year or so passes. Finally, the day has come: my flying car hits the market.  Millions of excited drivers and auto-enthusiasts hits the dealerships to buy my flying car.  They notice how great it looks.  They read through our nice little pamphlets about all the great little things it can do.  "Hmm, seems to have gone from 4-door to 2-door?" someone says.  "That's odd, I remember there being front and side airbags, now there's just front" someone mutters.  A nervous voice chimes in: "Where's the Mr. Fusion..."  The first buyers drive it off the lot, you being one of them.

Leaning back in your seat, seatbelt on and checked because you're nervous, you hit the hover button.  The car lifts, causing the wheels to float a few inches from the ground.  A smile is spread across your face from ear to ear.  Now it's time to fly.  You look around for the "fly" button, but can't seem to find it.  Wait!  It's there on the side of the steering wheel, kind of hard to see.  You push it: nothing happens.  Push it again: nothing happens.  Push it again: and nothi... wait, something DID happen.  What the hell?  It didn't make you fly!  It just pushed the car up a few more inches before it lowered itself back down!  That's not flying!

What happened to that first prototype you saw!  Where was the car presented to you at that trade show!  You call me up: "Oh, but it can hover!  Isn't hovering great!  How many other cars let you hover as much as this one, if at all" I say.  "The car was never about the hovering," you interject, "it was about the flying.  The hovering was just a feature, not the focus!".

But that's what you got.  You were promised a flying car.  For years you were told about a flying car.  And I released a car that can hover.  Sure, hovering is cool.  Everyone likes messing around with the hover button.  But a "hovering car" is not what you've been waiting for.  It was not what you were presented, what you were teased with.

The "flying car" is a moderate success.  It's good looking, so a few people buy it for looks.  It has the hover feature, so a few people buy it for that even though it was supposed to fly.  It's mileage is okay, so some people buy it for that even though it was supposed need no gas.  But for the most part it is ignored, even hated.  "Why doesn't it fly!?", "Why the hell do I need to bring it in for monthly maintenance!?", "What to you mean I'm only allowed three repairs before they refuse to repair it!  Oh, how nice of you to allow me to negotiate for more repairs.  So kind of you!", "Why the hell can't I let my family/friends drive it?  The key only works for me?"  "Where is the flying!"

---------------------------------
TL;DR version: Consumer is lied to about features up until the product is released without features. The flying car is Spore, "my company" is an automobile EA, "hovering" is the Creature Editors, and "flying" is everything else about early Spore.
---------------------------------

Do you understand?  You say "view it apart from the hype".  No, because they didn't just "hype" Spore.  They promised Spore.  They showed us Spore.  They held Spore in front of our faces like carrots on a string and taunted us with kind words about the future.  If Will Wright hadn't given half-hour and hour long demonstrations of great features, actually showing the features, we wouldn't be upset that they were gone.  If Will Wright hadn't talked about and shown everything you could do (not what you will be able to do, but what you could actually do in that build) then we wouldn't be upset that the features were gone.  I said something similar earlier in the thread (I think) and I still stand by it: if Toady suddenly released "Dwarf Fortress 1.0" tomorrow, and it turned out to just basically be NetHack, we would be flabbergasted.  Sure, NetHack is a great game. There's a lot of unique and fun features in NetHack.  But NetHack lacks even a percent of the features DF 1.0 will have.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:43:58 pm by wallish »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 18, 2008, 11:11:29 pm »

Surely you never heard of LRC, the Lada Racing Club disaster? It hit pretty much the same rake in the grass, except then, people were less mutinous about it because the project got a lead shift and engine shift halfway into production, which the developers announced, and a few months before release the game was still hyped (since there really was no other alternative because of all the money spent), with conspicuosly nice screenshots and a lot of renderings shown, even despite most understood that the game would be bad by then. So, it still ended up worse than a trainwreck, sales-wise, but the fore-warning cushioned the impact a bit, not to mention we russians tend to switch stress into humor more easily. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 19, 2008, 12:15:56 am »

Meh spore is a fun game, I never paid much attention to the early videos though.

Don't see why I should stop enjoying a rather fun game just because a few people are pissed off about it.

Were talking about EA though, they only care about 2 things: Money and the souls of young children. So you can't really hope awesome ground breaking games from them.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 19, 2008, 02:29:12 am »

i played spore. a good game. but can hardly be played more than a couple of times, in my opinion.

and the early videos makes me sad  :'(.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 19, 2008, 04:39:36 am »

To both Rilder and Darkwind, I also stand by what I said earlier- I respect those who have the ability to see past their disappointment (or who missed the promises and have nothing to be disappointed about).  To them, I say 'more power to you'.  Have fun.  That's fine.  I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't dream of saying you shouldn't enjoy it.

It's just that I can't do that, myself.  I would probably be haunted by those movies and how eagerly and happily I was looking forward to the things that simply aren't there.  At some point, I may give it a chance, but not now.  Certainly not at full price.

It's somewhat galling that EA and/or Wright will acheive exactly what they set out to, and turn a tidy profit by stomping on the dreams of one demographic to reach a bigger one.  But still.  Go ahead, have fun.  Just respect, in turn, that some of us can't this time.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 19, 2008, 07:20:33 am »

Actually I love Spore! The second the patch came out and fixed my largest problem, which was that creatures I made in the creature creator couldn't be converted over, I was set!

My favorite Phase is Space! I dislike the Creature phase quite a bit despite the fact that I love the Creature Editor probably the most...

Heck... My Sporepedia page is in my signature and I ever have a Frog Race (The Creux) who are supposed to be the Frog Demons! (Though to admit... the Creaux Omega is probably cooler then them) I never took it out which must mean something!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 19, 2008, 09:32:30 am »

Okay here is the question of the day:
What if Will Wright would start to work on a game like Dwarf Fortress? What game should we expect to see in a couple of years? Horribad or something awesome? ;D
[I know that the question makes no sense at all, considering that Will is making games for the masses..but ah well  ;D]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #505 on: September 19, 2008, 09:43:39 am »

I can't believe people like the gameplay of spore. Better said, the lack off. Dull, bland, shallow and over-easy minigames that get boring after playing them twice. Hurrah.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 19, 2008, 02:12:46 pm »

I dare say Rayman Raving Rabbids for PC was better. Probably even RRR2 for PC was better.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 19, 2008, 02:30:56 pm »

What if Will Wright would start to work on a game like Dwarf Fortress? What game should we expect to see in a couple of years? Horribad or something awesome? ;D
It would be the Sims. With midgets.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 19, 2008, 03:04:40 pm »

Interesting.

People are saying Spore will be the most pirated game in history. Mostly because of the anti-piracy additions to it.

Oh irony... I hope EA gets it instead of "We need to make things MOAR secure!" You cannot distribute something and expect it to be safe from piracy, no matter what you do short of monitoring each product every second. The best you can do is make no reason to get the pirated version.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 19, 2008, 03:10:05 pm »

It would be the Sims. With midgets.

There's a console code in The Sims 2 that allows you to alter the dimensions of a sim's skeleton.  I had a dwarf jumping around on a couch once.

So it's already been done.

Funny thing though...  Not all the animations work that well when you have people of different dimensions interacting.  For instance, if a dwarf hugs a normal-sized person, he will smush his face into their crotch while simultaneously strangling them.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 97