Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100346 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #480 on: September 17, 2008, 02:56:59 pm »

Well the Space Phase is so unforgiving, frustrating, and sometimes downright perplexing that no child would ever wish to go through it yet alone be able to.

You start out with the possibility of 1-5 people instantly hating you and attacking... They are able to expand and get more powerful weapons faster then you and thus attack you some more with even more powerful weapons non-stop while you barely have something that qualifies as a BBGun!

Ohh Spore, how I love the! Silly Rabbit, Spore is for nobody!

Ah ok, gotcha.  :D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 17, 2008, 03:00:01 pm »

Well the Space Phase is so unforgiving, frustrating, and sometimes downright perplexing that no child would ever wish to go through it yet alone be able to.

You start out with the possibility of 1-5 people instantly hating you and attacking... They are able to expand and get more powerful weapons faster then you and thus attack you some more with even more powerful weapons non-stop while you barely have something that qualifies as a BBGun!

You would be surprised how persistent little kids are. I recently got to play Rayman again. A game I beat as a little kid. This time around I nearly smashed my keyboard in frustration.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 17, 2008, 03:32:07 pm »

You would be surprised how persistent little kids are. I recently got to play Rayman again. A game I beat as a little kid. This time around I nearly smashed my keyboard in frustration.

yes I also noticed that I now have way higher standards for what is a good game then when I was a little kid.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 17, 2008, 03:36:20 pm »

yes I also noticed that I now have way higher standards for what is a good game then when I was a little kid.

Same here, however some old games are still better than most of the new games...and I am not talking about Rayman actually.  ;D

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 17, 2008, 04:35:08 pm »

I'm not sure, but this might be a result of your race's final allignment.

I played through to galactic stage twice, once as a militaristic race and once as a religious ("peaceful") race.

I played space stage from scratch with the militaristic race twice and both times I started off with 1 merchant race and 2 a-hole races who would get offended at me for going near their unmarked territory and these games quickly turned to freaking hell.

The pacifist race, on the other hand, got nearly nothing but friendly races, at most hard to please ones, none of the "you on territory - we smash" bastards. In this game I got to build up my weaponry via spice trade relatively peacefully (kept getting surreal financial demands, but they never attacked) till I was able to take on alliance enemies and sort of take on the Gorax (fighting them is annoying as hell even with the best weaponry).

Not that it makes the game much better. The difficulty just drops from surreal to annoying (on normal, anyway).

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 18, 2008, 02:34:39 am »

I'm not sure, but this might be a result of your race's final allignment.

I played through to galactic stage twice, once as a militaristic race and once as a religious ("peaceful") race.

I played space stage from scratch with the militaristic race twice and both times I started off with 1 merchant race and 2 a-hole races who would get offended at me for going near their unmarked territory and these games quickly turned to freaking hell.

The pacifist race, on the other hand, got nearly nothing but friendly races, at most hard to please ones, none of the "you on territory - we smash" bastards. In this game I got to build up my weaponry via spice trade relatively peacefully (kept getting surreal financial demands, but they never attacked) till I was able to take on alliance enemies and sort of take on the Gorax (fighting them is annoying as hell even with the best weaponry).

Not that it makes the game much better. The difficulty just drops from surreal to annoying (on normal, anyway).

Confirming this, on my passive dude I'm allied with everyone ive met so far, there is a war but its between too of my allies so I'm letting them fight it out.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 18, 2008, 04:40:38 am »

Yahtzee's latest ZP is for Spore.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 18, 2008, 11:26:27 am »

Yahtzee's latest ZP is for Spore.

lol. I must check out that. Thanks for the info.  ;D

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 18, 2008, 11:32:06 am »

Will Wright: "We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players."

That's complete BULL$HIT...

Kind of hard to believe that statement when not too long ago you were calling this game the "be all - end all" of gaming, when you code-named the game, "Sim EVERYTHING".

What a sell-out.

They didn't code-name it "sim everything".  They code-named "sim everything" "spore", and realized that "Spore" was a better title for their product.

Darkwind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 18, 2008, 03:09:52 pm »

Yay! New patch. It supposedly fixes the problem with people demanding way too much and disasters piling upon disasters piling upon disasters. I don't know whether it does, though, since I haven't tested it.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 18, 2008, 04:22:56 pm »

Yay! New patch. It supposedly fixes the problem with people demanding way too much and disasters piling upon disasters piling upon disasters. I don't know whether it does, though, since I haven't tested it.

Yeah and apparently you have to have spore open in order to download the patch.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 18, 2008, 04:42:19 pm »

Yay!..too bad that I already uninstalled this piece of ****!
This game needs to be rewritten completly or else it wont be fun ever.  ;D
Some patches wont help. Its like kissing the dead.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2008, 04:49:10 pm »

Analogy fail, it's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb.
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 18, 2008, 04:53:54 pm »

Analogy fail, it's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb.

Okay more like that, I agree... :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:17 pm »

Trying to patch Spore is like trying to patch Battlecruiser Millenium, only backwards. Whereas BCM was a great concept, but poorly executed and riddled with bugs to the point that no amount of patching would seriously make it playable, Spore is masterfully done and "almost" bugless, but patching away that ridiculously stupid game design will not be possible, and will not make the game any more enjoyable.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 97