Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100339 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Spore
« Reply #465 on: September 15, 2008, 02:49:08 pm »

Okay then. I've been too busy playing Spore to even come to these forums, so let me just ease back in by posting what is more likely than not an incredibly inflamatory review of the thing that I wrote on the XSpore forums.

http://www.xspore.com/community/spore-user-reviews/9755-spore-game-has-many-characters.html#post189165

It sums up most of my feelings about Spore.

I have to disagree with your 4/5 for it as a game, After about 2 days of playing spore it has become a chore for me to play it anymore (I want to reach the centre of the universe simply so I can feel I have completed it) Now to me any game which is a chore to play after bit can't be higher than a 3 (and that would require it be excellent up until then) so I would have to say as a game it hovers between 1 and 2 out of 5.

Well, here's how I rate games: 1/5 = No redeeming value.
2/5 = Something there is right, but not enough to support a purchase or even rental.
3/5 = Fun-ish. Rent if you want to, but it isn't worth buying unless you really like it.
4/5 = Definitely rent it, or at least play for a while. Buy it if you like the concept and/or liked playing it.
5/5 = Buy it now, so long as you have no particular personal grievances with it.

So, by my scale, your assessment still supports my score. I keep forgetting that not everyone goes by my ratings scale.

EDIT: Also, if you still feel that I've misinterpreted your interpretation, realize that I don't actually care that much. No big deal, we just disagree. And that's that. And there's no reason to respond to this post.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 15, 2008, 08:41:53 pm »

PC Gamer UK, who I usually trust, gave it three pages and 91%, while acknowledging that it was what was promised.

I no longer know what to think.

I probably still won't buy it- the spyware copy-protection thing tips it for me and besides I probably don't have the system requirements.  But still.  Augh.

Wasn't.  WASN'T what was promised.  The 'was' is my idiotic typo.  Sorry.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 15, 2008, 09:58:39 pm »

then shouldnt you just edit the post now? and everybody maybe for some extra play time you could attempt to get all
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and i am really bugged at how you only have one ship and how its impossible to hit a ship flying away from you at warp 9. and that as far as i know you can only have 3 ships with you and they cant even be from your own species.
they can afford to build a new spaceship every 5 minutes but they cant afford to make a few extras?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:46:22 pm by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 16, 2008, 04:12:18 am »

Because I was already quoted, and since it's a two-character change, would almost certainly go unnoticed unless I pointed it out.

Also, plz to be hiding spoilers.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 16, 2008, 03:45:41 pm »

oh sorry ill change that now.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will wright's reaction to critics
« Reply #470 on: September 16, 2008, 09:42:37 pm »

Go here for Will Wright's response to the criticism:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/07/will-wright-reacts-to-crtical-spore-reviews/

When I talked to Wright, I had played deep into the Space Stage, which I was enjoying. But I had seen complaints from hardcore game reviewers and message board posters that all of the stages have less complex gameplay than many gamers had hoped. As wonderful as the content creation and sharing options are, the one consistent complaint I’ve seen is that the gameplay seems to have been “dumbed down” for the sake of appealing to a more casual audience. Was it?

“I’d say that’s quite accurate,” Wright told me. “We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. “Spore” has more depth than, let’s say, “The Sims” did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for “Sims 2″, which was around 90, and something like “Half-Life“, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and salesof “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and salesof “Half-Life.”

Quote from: Daveoz
Can i be the first to call him a sell out?
Link

Listen.. What IS a casual player they're dumbing down the game for? A game is a game is a game. If you make it worse for whatever reason, it still becomes worse.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:09:25 pm by Richards »

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #471 on: September 16, 2008, 10:35:17 pm »

OK, that just killed any respect I had of Will Wright.

I'm still waiting for the hackers to get to work. (So far they have a good start in the modding area.)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Will wright's reaction to critics
« Reply #472 on: September 16, 2008, 10:59:32 pm »

Listen.. What IS a casual player they're dumbing down the game for? A game is a game is a game. If you make it worse for whatever reason, it still becomes worse.

Their doing it becuase a simple game is easier to make AND more people would buy it. It's the future of gaming, like it or not. :-\

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 17, 2008, 01:27:23 am »

FUTURE of EA's GAMES, of course. The DF is our future!!

[/MASSIVE RANT]

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 17, 2008, 11:33:30 am »

Will Wright: "We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players."

That's complete BULL$HIT...

Kind of hard to believe that statement when not too long ago you were calling this game the "be all - end all" of gaming, when you code-named the game, "Sim EVERYTHING".

What a sell-out.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 17, 2008, 11:49:33 am »

Will Wright: "We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players."

That's complete BULL$HIT...

Kind of hard to believe that statement when not too long ago you were calling this game the "be all - end all" of gaming, when you code-named the game, "Sim EVERYTHING".

What a sell-out.

It is bullshitting indeed. This is game is not for casual players, but for KIDS.  ;D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 17, 2008, 12:15:24 pm »

Trust me Spore isn't for kids... especially once you hit the Space Phase

Then again it isn't for adults either... especially once you hit the space phase...

I guess Spore has no one to call a friend.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 17, 2008, 02:32:39 pm »

hmm, what about man children?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 17, 2008, 02:41:12 pm »

Trust me Spore isn't for kids... especially once you hit the Space Phase

What? Care to explain?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 17, 2008, 02:46:36 pm »

Well the Space Phase is so unforgiving, frustrating, and sometimes downright perplexing that no child would ever wish to go through it yet alone be able to.

You start out with the possibility of 1-5 people instantly hating you and attacking... They are able to expand and get more powerful weapons faster then you and thus attack you some more with even more powerful weapons non-stop while you barely have something that qualifies as a BBGun!

Ohh Spore, how I love the! Silly Rabbit, Spore is for nobody!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 97