Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 97

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 100293 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Spore
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2008, 06:12:50 am »

I bought the game, it was fine. Not incredibly good, but not bad either.
It feels more or less like Videogames 101 though, and I was expecting more.
It will be worth playing it when the expansions roll out, but untill then, its pretty mediocre.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2008, 06:53:14 am »

It will be worth playing it when the expansions roll out, but untill then, its pretty mediocre.

Watch this and feel completely ripped off at having payed for such comparative shit

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2008, 08:40:05 am »

Watch this and feel completely ripped off at having payed for such comparative shit
I watched that again for the first time after having bought spore and it made me depressed, when you look at how cool his cell alone looked in comparison to the blobs we get. And then it happens again in creature stage, and then I couldn't bear to watch any more.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #423 on: September 13, 2008, 10:34:33 am »

My stupid question is if they have some of the prototypes for download on spore's website why don't they have the 2005-06 demos...

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 13, 2008, 10:56:38 am »

I have not bought the game yet, but I can already tell that some bad things have happened since the older demos. I think the game was a lot more realistic and attractive before they tried to make it cute and colorful. What the hell were they thinking?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2008, 11:09:51 am »

I have not bought the game yet, but I can already tell that some bad things have happened since the older demos. I think the game was a lot more realistic and attractive before they tried to make it cute and colorful. What the hell were they thinking?

I dont know, but like Ive said, the game is just perfect for young kids.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 13, 2008, 04:18:33 pm »

*watches video
*watches recent video

Oh wow thats a big diffrence, and for some reason I am suddenly filled with rage...
Casual gaming ruins everything!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 13, 2008, 05:40:09 pm »

Do they have the bite+drag option still? Likely not. I remember in an early video showing how if you bite a dead creature and make your creature move, you would drag the prey to wherever you want. And it looked good.

The old early-development Spore is to DF like the currently released Spore is like Adventure Quest. One has deep features, things that make you say "Wow, they actually made THAT? Awesome!" , the other has a few pretty effects in hope that you won't realize that their 'features' are really rather shallow. Now some people like that, but when you promise a game to be from the first category, you can't serve the second.
the only 'grabby' thing you can do is pick up and hurl the ubiquitous branch lying near a nest.
besides that, the only thing hands are good for is an additional attackmode... and they might be mandatory for tribe-mode.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 13, 2008, 05:43:07 pm »

Never played a tribe without hands but in space age I saw a tribe without hands, they just used their teeth. Oh and that is another thing that bugs me in tribe age all the tribes are different creatures in space age other planet which are in tribal ages have all the tribes having the same creature
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 13, 2008, 05:55:19 pm »

oh yeah, the mouth is the only part that a creature can't live without apparently, just like the mandatory backbone.

Even cells, what happened to osmosis, phagocytosis, etcetera?
Silly, but ... whatever.

The product is just like the free editor, only you get to feel like a stupid idiot for being duped into forking over more than any other game currently costs.

I wish EA to freely make available patchesthat restore the features that made Spore a nerd's magical fantasy for several years.
Failing that, I wish someone 'aqcuires' the source-code of the early demos and pirates it. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 13, 2008, 07:34:42 pm »

I wonder what kind of system requirements that earlier game would have needed.  I mean, we all know what kinds of issues DF has even without graphics.  The earlier Spore was a fully rendered 3D world doing all procedural stuff.  I have my doubts about how feasible such a program would've been for general consumption.  Few people would have access to the systems available to your average commercial game development studio, let along one by one of the recognized names in the industry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 13, 2008, 08:36:24 pm »

*watches video
*watches recent video

Oh wow thats a big diffrence, and for some reason I am suddenly filled with rage...
Casual gaming ruins everything!

The full hour long presentation is even better.  I think it's still on Google Video.  Will expounds at length about even more high minded concepts, and brings the audience into his love of CareBears.  "... and this was all known collectively as the Kingdom of Caring.  And it was never really stated but always kind of implied that Earth was the Kingdom of Who Gives a Shit?"

So, Spore wasn't the magical be-all-end-all SimEverything we all hoped for.  I'm as disappointed as anyone at the many things left out.  I mean, the engine isn't even really set up for odd-legged creatures.  Look at that crazy bifurcated spider thing in the video.  Or even just the Will-o-Saurus.  Spore as shipped can't make either of them.

However, I do love all the little Maxis humor bits.  One of the vehicle body blocks is called 'The Cowbell', so another is called 'More Cowbell'.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 13, 2008, 09:51:42 pm »

I mean, we all know what kinds of issues DF has even without graphics.

Well, truthfully, I get the impression that DF isn't really well optimized, and also it definitely has some really crazy fluid simulations going on, and presumably Spore, as a commercial product, would've been better optimized

What I don't get is that if it HAD ever really been intended to be SimEverything, like, why isn't there ever a unified gameplay system? You go from controlling one creature to a group of creature to a spaceship in every incarnation from what I can tell. If it were really unified, then ideally, you'd only really control one entity during any stage of gameplay or control multiple entities at every stage. Or a combination thereof, where you control an entire group of creatures but can single in on one and have some extra options with it. Sort of like MySim Mode in SC4 combined with your personal Merc in JA2.

Also, I imagine such a system would be easier to work with, since you have a basic paradigm to work with already and can work on developing the game around that system instead of just... grasping at straws.

Also getting the impression that current Civ mode is just "Kill all enemies or conver them or buy them," whereas in that old video, the City-related elements also meant you had to take care of your population? How does it work now, exactly?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:50:13 pm by MeshGearFox »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #433 on: September 14, 2008, 01:36:34 am »

You can place Houses, Entertainment Buildings, and Factories.   And turrets.   You can also place plants but they don't do anything.

There's no lone 'city' stage anymore.   Hopefully it is one of the expansions.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 14, 2008, 02:06:44 am »

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 97